Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Granite Tops on Steel City Tools

Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick 150lb Granite
TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.

No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or disadvantages
this will present.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
| Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick
| 150lb Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.
|
| No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or
| disadvantages this will present.

Magnetic bases of alignment tools and featherboards won't work - and
anything hard striking an edge might knock chips off. It'll make
moving the saws from one shop to another at least "interesting".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:
| Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick
| 150lb Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.
|
| No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or
| disadvantages this will present.

Magnetic bases of alignment tools and featherboards won't work - and
anything hard striking an edge might knock chips off. It'll make
moving the saws from one shop to another at least "interesting".

No drilling and tapping for things like power feeds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick 150lb
Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.

No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or disadvantages
this will present.

It would certainly be heavy and stable. It would complicate thing when
moving it. That granite top would be much more prone to breakage and
chipping than cast iron.

I would think it would be slick with a little wax on top. So sliding your
stock through should go well.

And you can get a top that will match your fancy new countertops in the
kitchen!

Hey Robatoy, maybe you can make some corian table saw tops with that fancy
new CNC machine!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:44:51 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick 150lb Granite
TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.

No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or disadvantages
this will present.

I wonder what the noise factor would be. I have used corian for a
router table top and it worked great exept it was real loud. useing
granit for a jointer fence sounds interesting though.

skeez

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Hey Robatoy, maybe you can make some corian table saw tops with that fancy
new CNC machine!!

I'm not there yet. I had some some 'land-lady' issues.
For now, the CNC waits.
I need a building which will tolerate my presence.
I need to own that building.

The douche-bag who owns the property who was trying to entice me to
share in my glory of having a successful business just fell flat on her
greedy face.
Woooops... did *I* say that??