-linux_lad

Default granite counter tops

I'm planning to remodel my kitchen. I plan to cover the counters, and
I'll do the walls between cabinet bottoms and counter tops in granite
tiles set on the diagonal. While reading up on granite installation, the
book indicates that granite and marble pros install with silicone rather
than mortar. It would seem to me that the flexibility of silicone would
put the granite at greater risk for breakage if something heaver ever
fell on it (I could envision a heavy pot from a pot rack falling on a
tile). Aside from that, I have a hard time imagining a silicone holding
tiles on a wall during installation.

I have installed marble on the floors and walls of my bathrooms with
no trouble and plan to use mortar for my granite over a bed of 3/4"
plywood covered by a 1/2" layer of backer board. Should I investigate
this silicone thing further or just go with my original plan?

--
-linux_lad
To verify that this post isn't forged, click he
G Henslee

-linux_lad wrote:
[...]

I'd stick with the mortar base and the proper thinset. Solid surface
granite or marble (not individual tile pieces) are installed for the
most part with silicone. it appears you're installing tiles.

As to your base, a mortar bed of 1" or so over kraft paper should be
sufficient over the 3/4" plywood. I believe the 1/2" backer added in
there would be overkill. either way you choose, ensure that there's
proper crossbracing front to back built into the cabinet under that
plywood, so the plywood's not only supported at the perimeter, but down
the center as well.
Edwin Pawlowski

While reading up on granite installation, the
book indicates that granite and marble pros install with silicone rather
than mortar.

I have installed marble on the floors and walls of my bathrooms with no
trouble and plan to use mortar for my granite over a bed of 3/4" plywood
covered by a 1/2" layer of backer board. Should I investigate this
silicone thing further or just go with my original plan?

Nah, they wrote a book about what the pros use but I'd bet you know more
than them.

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
While reading up on granite installation, the
book indicates that granite and marble pros install with silicone rather
than mortar.

I have installed marble on the floors and walls of my bathrooms with no
trouble and plan to use mortar for my granite over a bed of 3/4" plywood
covered by a 1/2" layer of backer board. Should I investigate this
silicone thing further or just go with my original plan?

Nah, they wrote a book about what the pros use but I'd bet you know more
than them.

Edwin,

I believe the OP's question may be legitimate, and may be due to some
confusion about the different types of product(s) themselves. The
numerous counter top outfits in my area use silicone for installing
solid stone countertops over plywood, however most use a mortar bed or
backerboard for granite or marble tile installation on counters, with
thinset. I beleive it helps them achieve a more even surface over all
the tiles.

For granite or marble floors on concrete slabs some use a mortar base,
while some just prep that may include grinding or planing areas of the
slab to eliminate high spots, followed by use of a granite or marble
specific thinset which is able to better support the heavier stone when
setting.

The recommendation for some marbles (greens) are setting materials such
as those produced by the Laticrete Co. to eliminate the moisture that
causes spalling problems that traditional thinsets present when using
green marbles. Here's one of their recent additions.
http://www.laticrete.com/stone/310mixer.html

Be nice to know what book the OP is referring to.
Edwin Pawlowski

"G Henslee" wrote in message

I believe the OP's question may be legitimate, and may be due to some
confusion about the different types of product(s) themselves. The
numerous counter top outfits in my area use silicone for installing solid
stone countertops over plywood, however most use a mortar bed or
backerboard for granite or marble tile installation on counters, with
thinset. I beleive it helps them achieve a more even surface over all the
tiles.

The question of silicone versus thinset it legitimate, but the second
question about "should I investigate further" was lame. If you have doubt,
of course you should! I'm sure the information you posted will help.

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

I believe the OP's question may be legitimate,

I'm sure the information you posted will help.

Only if used. )