Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roof access - door or skylight?

roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof
I want them to put in a door so i can get up there
and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

Is there an openable skylight on sale somewhere
or is it better to have a skylight to let in the light
and a separate roof door to get through?

What types are recommended?

I will be insulating above the ceiling (not under the tiles)
so skylights and doors dont have to be insulated..

--

[george]

~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Means of escape Velux (or Velux-type) windows. They do a "heritage"
model for about £250-300, side hinged. Other more expensive models are
top hinged. Bear in mind both building regs and planning control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 11:49 am, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof
I want them to put in a door so i can get up there
and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

Is there an openable skylight on sale somewhere
or is it better to have a skylight to let in the light
and a separate roof door to get through?

What types are recommended?

I will be insulating above the ceiling (not under the tiles)
so skylights and doors dont have to be insulated..

--

[george]

~

Fakro do a couple of sizes of roof access windows - side hung fully
opening.

http://www.fakro.com/htmle/188.php

http://www.fakro.com/htmle/188.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof
I want them to put in a door so i can get up there
and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

Is there an openable skylight on sale somewhere
or is it better to have a skylight to let in the light
and a separate roof door to get through?

What types are recommended?

I will be insulating above the ceiling (not under the tiles)
so skylights and doors dont have to be insulated..

I can confirm that it is perfectly possible to get through an ordinary
Velux. I did so the other week.

I had a roofer round to try and diagnose some water penetration. He
hadn't brought a ladder or scaffold, but cheerfully climbed through
the Velux and wandered around the roof without any restraints. HSE
would have had a fit ... if it hadn't been in Germany.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

roof access - door or skylight?

The Loft Shop supply Colt roof windows, and they have three different
sized MOE windows - top hung with gas struts

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 11/06/2008, George (dicegeorge) supposed :
roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof
I want them to put in a door so i can get up there
and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

Is there an openable skylight on sale somewhere
or is it better to have a skylight to let in the light
and a separate roof door to get through?

What types are recommended?

I will be insulating above the ceiling (not under the tiles)
so skylights and doors dont have to be insulated..

Velux do a centre pivoting window, upper half comes down and in, lower
goes up and out of the opening. We have one and with the glass vertical
it is just about possible to squeeze past it onto the roof, but it is
made to just unclip so you can take it completely out for full access.

We used it just last week for roof access to install a new TV antenna
on the chimney, with no ladder needed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof
I want them to put in a door so i can get up there
and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

But what are you going to then, clamber about on a tiled roof with no
dangerous ladders?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

I had a roofer round to try and diagnose some water penetration. He
hadn't brought a ladder or scaffold, but cheerfully climbed through
the Velux and wandered around the roof without any restraints. HSE
would have had a fit ... if it hadn't been in Germany.

Surely German HSE would have been even *more* likely to have a fit?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But what are you going to then, clamber about on a tiled roof with no
dangerous ladders?

no.
i want to get into the 'valley'
and clear the leaves which clog it
without dangerous clambering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:51:50 +0100, Pete Verdon wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:

I had a roofer round to try and diagnose some water penetration. He
hadn't brought a ladder or scaffold, but cheerfully climbed through the
Velux and wandered around the roof without any restraints. HSE would
have had a fit ... if it hadn't been in Germany.

Surely German HSE would have been even *more* likely to have a fit?

No, they would haff a fit instead.