Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker Hood - Filter Mode

We recently had a Cooker Hood installed, a Hotpoint HE63X. This is in
filter mode, there is no vent to the outside.

However, there is only the two fat/grease filters, no evidence of a
carbon filter. The instructions state the carbon filter must be
provided if there is no suction.

I don't see the point of this hood in it's current form, would it be
normal for the kitchen supplier to provide the filter? Also, there is
nowhere for the air to leave the hood other than back out the way it
came in, is this right? The pictures show a vent in the chimney, but
there isn't one. I would think it dangerous to blow air back onto a
cooker.

I don't think it's much more than decoration! I don't know if the
above is normal, Hotpoint's instructions are not very detailed, but
the kitchen fitters have got nothing else right, so is this another?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We recently had a Cooker Hood installed, a Hotpoint HE63X. This is in
filter mode, there is no vent to the outside.

However, there is only the two fat/grease filters, no evidence of a
carbon filter. The instructions state the carbon filter must be
provided if there is no suction.

I don't see the point of this hood in it's current form, would it be
normal for the kitchen supplier to provide the filter? Also, there is
nowhere for the air to leave the hood other than back out the way it
came in, is this right? The pictures show a vent in the chimney, but
there isn't one. I would think it dangerous to blow air back onto a
cooker.

I don't think it's much more than decoration! I don't know if the
above is normal, Hotpoint's instructions are not very detailed, but
the kitchen fitters have got nothing else right, so is this another?

My old hood (20 yers old) was originally unvented - it had a charcoal filter
and the filtered air came back into the kitchen at above head height. I
later made a hole in the wall and fitted some ducting - was able to remove
the charcoal filter and move a lever to vent the air outside. Does yours
have such a lever?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We recently had a Cooker Hood installed, a Hotpoint HE63X. This is in
filter mode, there is no vent to the outside.

However, there is only the two fat/grease filters, no evidence of a
carbon filter. The instructions state the carbon filter must be
provided if there is no suction.

I don't see the point of this hood in it's current form, would it be
normal for the kitchen supplier to provide the filter? Also, there is
nowhere for the air to leave the hood other than back out the way it
came in, is this right? The pictures show a vent in the chimney, but
there isn't one. I would think it dangerous to blow air back onto a
cooker.

I don't think it's much more than decoration! I don't know if the
above is normal, Hotpoint's instructions are not very detailed, but
the kitchen fitters have got nothing else right, so is this another?

Yes. The chimney can be fitted with vents to the room or without, to ducting
(Part of one of the chimney pieces will have holes in and you choose whether
these are exposed or not). This was about the only thing my fitters did get
right (a "well known kitchen and furniture retailer" - I made a small claim
in the county court on line and got some money back - worth a try!)

Recirculating hoods are useless whatever the filters are IMHO

I have one mainly for decoration and lights but, as a final stand for
rationality, I kept the Xpelair the other side of the room. I can comfort
myself that , with the hood extracting from the top of the chimney into the
room and the Xpelair on, at least stuff is extracted from one's face and
quite a lot goes outside!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes. The chimney can be fitted with vents to the room or without, to ducting
(Part of one of the chimney pieces will have holes in and you choose whether
these are exposed or not). This was about the only thing my fitters did get
right (a "well known kitchen and furniture retailer" - I made a small claim
in the county court on line and got some money back - worth a try!)

There is no holes other than above the cooker for the air to get in.
The picture in the manual on Hotpoint's website (they didn't leave us
with instructions!) shows a vent at the top of the telescopic
chimney. It's not in our installation, the chimney has no holes at
all. The suppliers knew we would be recirculating as they designed
the kitchen and the cooker is not on or very near an external wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the holes in the telescopic chimney were what I was referring to. It
may depend on which way up the telescopic parts are fitted (ie the holes are
exposed or not, one way up for vent to room, the other for external.
Difficult to say without looking/taking to bits!

Depending on your relationship to the fitters you could ask them to come
back and sort it.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, the holes in the telescopic chimney were what I was referring to. It
may depend on which way up the telescopic parts are fitted (ie the holes are
exposed or not, one way up for vent to room, the other for external.
Difficult to say without looking/taking to bits!

We may give them a ring, we did ask the plumber about the filter and
he just left a note saying you can buy charcoal if you want!

We'd prefer certain builders not to re enter the house.

Who makes appliances for MFI / Hygena / Howdens? Cooker hood filter needed. Mike Barnard UK diy 2 January 30th 08 10:17 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM
Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life? NatterJak UK diy 4 August 25th 03 05:29 PM