Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a
corgi engineer or can I do it myself (and have no hassles when I come
to sell the house)? . Obviously I will need to drain down the system
so does this have a bearing on the answer?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a
corgi engineer or can I do it myself (and have no hassles when I come
to sell the house)? . Obviously I will need to drain down the system
so does this have a bearing on the answer?

No, you can do this yourself. Corgi is only for gas appliances, gas fire,
boiler etc

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:03:58 +0100, "nobby" wrote:

its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Well that makes them to be The Sun of the gas world then!
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

nobby wrote in

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by
a corgi engineer or can I do it myself (and have no hassles when I
come to sell the house)? . Obviously I will need to drain down the
system so does this have a bearing on the answer?

The Corgi requirement (if indeed there is one - because that is a
moot point in itself) only applies to gas connections. Assuming your
radiator is not heated *directly* by gas, but rather by water heated
by a gas boiler elsewhere in the circuit, there's no reason
whatsoever why you can't DIY it.

its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Leaving aside the Corgi/competent person argument, and without seeing the
article in the Corgi mag, there's an ambiguity there with "connect gas and
water to a boiler".

Is it suggesting that only a Corgi fitter can attach a water carrying pipe
directly to a gas boiler or is it suggesting that only a Corgi fitter can
attach any water carrying element of a CH system that has a gas boiler as
part of the system?

[Y'know, that seemed so clear in my mind when I started to type it - I think
it makes sense but don't try too hard.]

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nobby wrote:
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

And we all believe what CORGI says. They have lied so often in the past
why start believing them now?

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered to
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a
corgi engineer

No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:03:58 +0100, nobby wrote:

its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

I didn't read it as a 'requirement' (if I'm thinking of the same article
as you) - it was about (not) commissioning installations done by
unregistered installers. I can't recall the exact details of the article
and cba to trawl through those of my back issues I haven't yet chucked
out, let alone to subject myself to CORGI's truly dire and buggy
flash-based online archive, but I think the gist was that to *commission*
(i.e. to fill in the benchmark logbook and generally take responsibility
for) an installation one needs to be sure all aspects of the installation
- including the wet pipework - have been done correctly. (In the case of
wet pipework this would be ensuring the system has been flushed and dosed
correctly.)

The article was written from a typical CORGI point of view of
Advanced Arsecovering. That's an observation, not necessarily a criticism:
in the context of commissioning an essentially-cowboy installations one has
to consider that if the cowboy has f**ked something up (acid flux in a gas
pipe corroding it through a few years later, gas pipe joint not soldered
in pipe laid in floor, boiler not secure to wall, crud in primary blocking
heat exchanger ...) they'll be long gone riding off into the sunset when
muggins gets clobbered for their wrongdoings which he signed off as his own
work ... for how much money?

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
@@ @@ is offline

"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered to
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
@@ wrote:
"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by
the HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

That would be the one who told me my boiler had to be replaced as it was
burning away the floor? Didn't have enough ventilation?
He was neither competent or honest.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long
as you have the current qualifications in place which deems you
competent to the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out
gas work illegal.

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

You certainly are.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , "@@" writes
"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

I presume that you are a clueless top posting CORGI

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

Are they ****

You seem to fail to understand that CORGI is only concerned with safety

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE

funny that ...

I actually attended the HSE's consultation on gas safety and their slant
on it seems to differ substantially to yours

which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

I'll rephrase - a substantial number of fitters I come across really
are not COMPETENT to work on gas appliances

They are prolly as clueless about the regs as you are as well

Let's get this straight

I (not CORGI registered) spend a not inconsiderable amount of time
diagnosing faults for fitters that are so obvious that I wonder how they
have muddled through for so long

e.g. last week (ex british gas 15 years + experience)

"I know it must be the pcb or the gas valve"

now this guy swapped the pcb rather than simply putting a meter on to
see if there were volts to the gas valve or not. This is INCOMPETENCE
and it's CORGI mate

now **** off

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered to
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff

--
geoff

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , "@@" writes
"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

Sorry, but we have little time for self proclaimed "CORGI gods" round
here

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

Everyone who has a full UK driving licences is deemed to be a competent and
qualified driver. One only has to venture onto the roads to see that does
not hold true. Likewise any certification only means the person managed to
muddle through at time of testing and says nothing of their competence to
carry out the task at any other time.

Mel.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

@@ wrote:

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

Yeah, right...

Last CORGI installed boiler I saw:

Bloke turned up drunk
got the boiler mounted on the wall 5 degrees off vertical
Had more solder on the outside of the pipes and kitchen floor than on
the joints
Connected the condensate drain to a copper pipe using some insulating
tape, fed it through an outside wall and left it dripping on a concrete
drive
Said the existing prog stat was "incompatible with the boiler" and did
not connect it up.
Left five gas leaks for his mate to come back and find the following day.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

The law makes no mention of any required "qualifications".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-09 20:16:10 +0100, EricP said:

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:03:58 +0100, "nobby" wrote:

its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Well that makes them to be The Sun of the gas world then!

Except that there are tits (or at least articles written by them) on
pages other than page three.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-09 20:21:38 +0100, "PeterMcC" said:

nobby wrote in

[...]

If you thought that this was ambiguos and misleading, look at some of
the wording on their web site. Phrases such as "likely to be illegal"
for example. They can't actually *say* illegal because the relevant
Acts don't support the statement.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-10 00:12:01 +0100, "@@" said:

"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

Go and take a look at section 3 of the Gas Safety (Installation and
Use) Regulations and you will discover the following:

A) It is a requirement that all persons who work on gas appliances be
competent. The Act does not define competence, nor does it define
qualification.

B) It is a requirement that employees or self employed people carrying
out gas fitting work be a member of a "class of persons approved for
time being by the Health and Safety Executive". (i.e. members of
CORGI).

Nothing in the Act stipulates that people who are not employees or self
employed are required to have specific qualifications or memberships.

This is something that the HSE have acknowledged in many studies over
the years. Each time they have come to the conclusion that there is
no evidence to suggest problems from competent people doing gas work
for themselves. This has been in connection with a possible
tightening of legislation. In addition they have realised that such
legislation would be unenforceable anyway. In surveys of industry
stakeholders, predictably the most vehement supporters have been those
such as CORGI with a commercial interest.

By the way, the correct phrasing (if the statement were true, which it
isn't), would have been "you're talking ********".

"Your talking ********" would suggest that someone has genitalia able
to communicate verbally. If you have that then the recommendation
would be to see a doctor or go on the stage. You would almost
certainly make more money with your talking ******** (correct use here)
than in anything related to the gas industry or the legal profession.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

@@ wrote:

"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

That is quite a comical statement after seeing some of the work done by
some Corgi 'engineers' shown at times on this group.
It was only last month that pictures were posted here of an upturned
bucket used as a gas fire flue, fitted by a 'competent' CORGI registered
fitter.

I'm currently working on a house where the boiler fitter has removed the
stop cock inside the house. He said it was too stiff to turn, so removed
it, fitted a new section of pipe in place of the stop cock, and said to
turn the water off out in the street if need be.
Alan.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "@@" writes
[...]

Ah but you are confusing "competence" (as in what you've got) and
"Competence" which is what CORGI registered people have. The government set
up the scheme so they could define "Competence" as they (and the courts)
like things easily defined (it's cheaper that way). It's nothing to do with
whether they are any good at the work. Your undoubted competence doesn't
count (unless you have documentary evidence to prove it) however great it
is. Those CORGIs who are incompetent don't count either (other than that
CORGI might prefer not to have CORGI isnpired accidents). CORGI aren't
concerned with safety. The governent were concerned about being seen to do
nothing about safety - now they can say they are. The law may be an ass, and
it's supporters deserving of being told to go forth and multiply but that
doesn't stop it being the law!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
@@ wrote:

[...]

No, you have to be competent.
Doing it wrong is proof you weren't and will get you done.
Doing it right is proof you were competent and you are OK.

CORGI are just there to look after themselves and do not hold the interests
of the consumer above their own.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
CORGI are just there to look after themselves and do not hold the
interests of the consumer above their own.

They certainly don't. When I had the problems with the one I mentioned
earlier I wrote to them documenting my tale supported by the evidence of
the handwritten note he'd left - I wasn't present when he'd called. I
included his registered business address. What he tried to pull amounted
to fraud - not just incompetence.

I got no reply despite a follow up letter and phone call. They are simply
a business given some credibility by government legislation without ever
earning that privilege.

I should point out a CORGI registered fitter recommended by the boiler
maker sorted the problem in minutes and sorted the mess the original one
had left.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jun, 00:12, "@@" wrote:
"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

The flaw in your assertation is that "competent" is defined by CORGI
as having demonstrated just enough knowledge to get past an assessor
who works for a profit making training/assessing organisation. Many of
these organisations do just enough to get past their verifyers and
have a vested interest in keeping their pass numbers up so as to
generate more trade

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

You do NOT need qualifications, you do need knowledge sufficient to
install and commission the particular equipment properly. I used to
find there were two opposing poles of d-i-y ers, those who read ALL
the literature, took every care, and made a far better job than most
professionals, and those who didn't! The first were absolutely
competent the second obviously not.

as you've probably realised by now your talking ********!

No he isn't but you are (and at the same time consigning yourself to
the considered status of ******)

"geoff" wrote in message

In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered to
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
@@ @@ is offline

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

"cynic" wrote in message
On 10 Jun, 00:12, "@@" wrote:
[...]

"geoff" wrote in message

In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

@@ wrote in

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

The word "forum" may also say something

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:37:26 UTC, "@@" wrote:

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

Lost your argument, I see.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

Of course CORGI fitters are safe

http://www.thestar.co.uk/barnsley/Ga...eck.3996651.jp
http://www.hvnplus.co.uk/page.cfm/ac...=4/EntryID=316

How dare you slag them off:-)

Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

@@ wrote:

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

Let's hope you know more about gas fitting than you do about usenet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:17:13 UTC, "nobby" top posted:

wrote:

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a
corgi engineer

No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

Almost as much of a scandal as Wayne Rooney...

Wayne Rooney probably knows more about gas fitting!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

nobby wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting would be
extremely lucky to earn £400 any day, never mind 'most days'.
£200 I could understand, though even then, it would not be common to
earn that every working day.
Alan.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message 484e1f7a@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-06-10 00:12:01 +0100, "@@" said:

[...]

I was going to make a comment on that little bit of illiteracy, but then

life's too short

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , "@@" writes
LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

hey ****forbrains

don't top post

and ... it's not a forum, it's a newsgroup

they let you loose on gas appliances ?

CORGI Nazis come and CORGI Nazis go

byeee

"cynic" wrote in message
On 10 Jun, 00:12, "@@" wrote:
[...]

"geoff" wrote in message

In message , nobby writes
its a requirement that only corgi engineers connect gas and water to a
boiler as in a recent edition of the gas installer (corgi mag)

Is it ****

and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to
ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install

You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters

CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the
facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered
work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

@@ wrote:
"You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are
"competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters"

but to be in corgi you must be competent and qualified as demanded by the
HSE so EVERY corgi engineer is competent.

You are correct you can do what ever you want to your own boiler as long as
you have the current qualifications in place which deems you competent to
the HSE which probably makes 99.9% of DIYers carrying out gas work illegal.

There are different types of work (according to CORGI). Therefore, not
all CORGIs are regarded as competent for boilers, by CORGI - let alone
some of the posters here. :-)

--
Rod

onset.