Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

@@ wrote:
LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

Yeah, we all dream of being CORGI fitters....

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

nobby wrote:
ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

A typical CORGI fitter earns £100k? I think not.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:17:13 +0100, "nobby" wrote:

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

None that I know of. However, I have heard many stories of cowboy
corgis making large amounts by scamming people with unnecessary and
vastly overpriced work - such as a £1,000 repair to a thermostat on a
pensioners boiler reported in a local paper recently, but I have no
evidence of such. Perhaps you do?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote:

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting
would be extremely lucky to earn £400 any day, never mind
'most days'. £200 I could understand, though even then, it
would not be common to earn that every working day.

I think it would largely depend to what extent your moral code allowed you
to rip off your customers.

Likely to make 400 a day you would have to be willing to frog-march little
old ladies to the post office to withdraw their savings.

Mel.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:33:56 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

nobby wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting would be
extremely lucky to earn £400 any day, never mind 'most days'. £200 I
could understand, though even then, it would not be common to earn that
every working day.
Alan.

That sounds about right.
The £200 a day is the turn over not the take home. A small one man
business would have £75+ per working day of overheads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.

I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or
for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics.
Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned
their trade and took pride in doing a good job.

Mel.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , A.Lee
writes
nobby wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.

ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting would be
extremely lucky to earn £400 any day, never mind 'most days'.
£200 I could understand, though even then, it would not be common to
earn that every working day.

unless you're one of the rip off cowboys who lie and cheat their way
through the day

I had a customer last year who thought a CORGI had ripped him off by
charging him for his own pcb

As luck would have it, it was a Baxi Solo (Mk1) and the older blue board
hadn't been on sale for more than three years [1]

This is obviously how our man here makes his money

[1] which resulted in a prosecution following my writing a letter to the
court

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:02:56 UTC, "@@" top posted:

"nobby" wrote in message ...
ermm that make £400- 500 a day most days....

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a
corgi engineer

No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians
either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.

that's silenced the majority of you ****wits....or are you out delivering
pizzas.

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.

I think you were way over his head there

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:56:02 UTC, "Astral Voyager"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or
for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics.
Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned
their trade and took pride in doing a good job.

There are some good tradesmen around, who have to pay through the nose
for their 'guild membership'.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In message , Astral Voyager
writes

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.

I explained earlier - maybe before your NG was x-posted to, that CORGIs
are not allowed to engineer anything - that implies modification IYSWIM

They are only allowed to fit like for like parts (one after another
until it works, normally ...)

I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or
for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics.
Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned
their trade and took pride in doing a good job.

Mel.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well
his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell
them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

wrote in message
So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well
his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell
them?

That there isn't any. If they really want the house they'll buy it anyway.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or
'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not
what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone
with a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or
for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics.
Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned
their trade and took pride in doing a good job.

There are some good tradesmen around, who have to pay through the nose
for their 'guild membership'.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote:

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or
'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not
what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone with
a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'. Even if you
accept the term 'engineer' then CORGI has nothing to do with it. CORGI is
merely a registration body who (I assume as a minimum) verify and confirm a
certification issued by another body. So the term should be 'CORGI
registered engineer'. Semantics maybe...but clarifies what CORGI's role
actually is.

Mel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.
Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or
'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not
what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone
with a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

What about the word "technician"? That's the one I would normally use
for someone like that described above.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article
,
wrote:
So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well
his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell
them?

You have paperwork for every replacement in your house?
It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the heating system is in good
condition - only a fool would rely on the owner for that.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:29:14 -0700, clangers_snout wrote:

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well his
solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell them?

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but
common sense has now prevailed.

Adding radiators is not notifiable either.

Replacing a boiler is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And
you're just a moron.
Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and
certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people
trained and certified elsewhere.
That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or
'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not
what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone
with a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

What about the word "technician"? That's the one I would normally use
for someone like that described above.

Yes, except they all call themselves engineers. And aren't as good as a
technician.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:29:18 +0100, Astral Voyager wrote:

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'.

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP.
CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in
Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but
common sense has now prevailed.

Is it now 'officially' not notifiable, or just no one takes
any notice? ISTR that Prescott's office tried and failed a
number of times to get plumbers to form a self-certifying
body.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterMcC
writes
@@ wrote in

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

The word "forum" may also say something

He's gone very quiet

Was it something we said ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:13:04 UTC, geoff wrote:

In message , PeterMcC
writes
@@ wrote in

LOL The forum name says it all WANNABEES!! LOL

The word "forum" may also say something

He's gone very quiet

Was it something we said ?

They come, they go...

(apart from Drivel, that is)
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-11 20:33:00 +0100, John Stumbles said:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:29:18 +0100, Astral Voyager wrote:

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'.

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP.
CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in
Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)

It almost makes you not want to be involved if that were possible.

The diligent and experienced person effectively has the same status as
the 17 year old who can only just about manage to solder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:29:14 -0700, clangers_snout wrote:

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well his
solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell them?

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but
common sense has now prevailed.

Adding radiators is not notifiable either.

Replacing a boiler is.

Who needs notifying if I replace my boiler? - British Gas :-)

Peter

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-11 20:33:00 +0100, John Stumbles said:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:29:18 +0100, Astral Voyager wrote:

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'.

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP.
CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in
Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)

It almost makes you not want to be involved if that were possible.

The diligent and experienced person effectively has the same status as
the 17 year old who can only just about manage to solder.

Or not, as in our case when the CORGI muppet let his pet puppy install our
CH pipework.

We didn't ask for an integral shower in the hallway, but we got one.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:45:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but
common sense has now prevailed.

Is it now 'officially' not notifiable,

yes.

or just no one takes any notice?
That was effectively what was happeneing anyway.

ISTR that Prescott's office tried and failed a number of times to get
plumbers to form a self-certifying body.

I suspect that there are just too many of them to get a "closed guild"
going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:29:14 -0700, clangers_snout wrote:

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this
radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well
his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell
them?

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but
common sense has now prevailed.

Adding radiators is not notifiable either.

Replacing a boiler is.

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

The interesting thing with the Viessmann is that apart from the usual
filling and venting proceeder, the only other check needed is that the gas
pressure is within limits - all the other settings are automatic. They
obviously have heard about CORGI 'standards'.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:35:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

your LA BCO, but since you've already done it prolly best to keep schtum
about it ... retrospective wotsits and all that

--
John Stumbles

Ohnosecond
Instant in time when you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-11 20:33:00 +0100, John Stumbles said:

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP.
CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in
Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)

It almost makes you not want to be involved if that were possible.

What, because of the name? I could get pedantic about the fact that I
do repairs, maintenance and inspection as well as installing but life's
too short :-)

The diligent and experienced person effectively has the same status as
the 17 year old who can only just about manage to solder.

A plumbing qualification is a prerequisite for the gas training (which of
course absolutely guarantees that the person will have appropriate plumbing
skills ... just as a driving licence guarantees that a person is a
competent driver [sigh]) but ability to solder and other basic plumbing
skills aren't part of the gas assessment.

Actually the driving analogy (s/solder/drive/ in what you said) is
interesting, but with the gas thing you get assessed on your work every
year or two and have to re-do the whole assessment every 5 years. That's a
model I'd like to see on the roads: discuss [ducks :-)]

--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes

On 2008-06-11 20:33:00 +0100, John Stumbles john.stumbles@ntlw
orld.com said:

[...]

So how did the CORGI who was fitting a fan and PCB I supplied to his
customer need me to explain to him how to test an air pressure switch

today that is

So, the customer had paid for a pcb and fan and, because of his
misdiagnosis, they weren't the fault

a) lucky they bought from me because of
i) price
ii) backup

b) I dread to think what his driving's like if I have to follow your
analogy

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:

Or buy a bung kit and bung the F&E pipes (if you have them). Then you have
no danger of trying to get the job done before the pipes melt and you get
wet.

Or just drain-down anyway and get rid of some/most/all of the black crap.
That way there's no fear of the whole system dumping everywhere.

Drain-down, re-fill, pump, drain-down re-fill, pump etc .... until the water
drains down clean. Then re-fill and add additive.

Far better option in my mind.

Pete
--
http://gymratz.co.uk - Fitness & Gym Equipment/nutrition specialists.
http://www.trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk buy for up to 33% off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Adding radiators is not notifiable either.

Replacing a boiler is.

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

It in theory requires a building notice because of the Part L
requirements for energy efficiency - hence verification of the effiency
of the boiler, plus checking that the controls are to modern standards
with TRVs and boiler interlock etc.

The interesting thing with the Viessmann is that apart from the usual
filling and venting proceeder, the only other check needed is that the gas
pressure is within limits - all the other settings are automatic. They
obviously have heard about CORGI 'standards'.

That seems quite common. I noted on the Ideal boiler I fitted at the
last place, there were instructions in effect saying everything is
preset, please don't fiddle!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:35:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

your LA BCO, but since you've already done it prolly best to keep schtum
about it ... retrospective wotsits and all that

I wish someone could explain to me why replacing a boiler in the same
place as the old one should need a BCO to be informed? Does moving the
flue all of 2 ft need planning permission?

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

It in theory requires a building notice because of the Part L
requirements for energy efficiency - hence verification of the effiency
of the boiler, plus checking that the controls are to modern standards
with TRVs and boiler interlock etc.

Should I apply for this retrospectively? I'm pretty certain it exceeds
current requirements - weather compensated etc.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The interesting thing with the Viessmann is that apart from the usual
filling and venting proceeder, the only other check needed is that the gas
pressure is within limits - all the other settings are automatic. They
obviously have heard about CORGI 'standards'.

That seems quite common. I noted on the Ideal boiler I fitted at the
last place, there were instructions in effect saying everything is
preset, please don't fiddle!

My Keston said something along those lines.
It was however miles out, as I think was everyone else's here.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On 2008-06-13 00:16:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:35:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

your LA BCO, but since you've already done it prolly best to keep schtum
about it ... retrospective wotsits and all that

I wish someone could explain to me why replacing a boiler in the same
place as the old one should need a BCO to be informed? Does moving the
flue all of 2 ft need planning permission?

This is so that they can check that you have followed the Part L requirements.

For the BCO, it is more exciting than his normal job of putting the
little holes in toothbrushes.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

None that I know of. However, I have heard many stories of cowboy
corgis making large amounts by scamming people with unnecessary and
vastly overpriced work - such as a £1,000 repair to a thermostat on a
pensioners boiler reported in a local paper recently, but I have no
evidence of such. Perhaps you do?

After getting 3 quotes for what seemed ( to me ) to be absolute rip-off
prices and being told that "if you don't use a corgi reg fitter you will
die.... its that simple mate " I then went ahead and fitted my own combi
boiler. I had never even plumbed a tap before in my life nor changed a tap
washer, none of those technical things, what I do have is common sense. The
best quote I had was £500 labour and was told it would take 2 days due to it
not being a the same make of boiler out as in. I did it myself in 6 hours
without any experience and having to go buy a couple tools and standard tea
breaks..... oh and it cost me £25.00. That was 18 months ago and I'm still
here to tell the tail. I have since remodelled the bathroom including
fitting and extractor fan (which I wired myself) I have rewired my
garage/workshop totally I have replaced all the windows in my house. I have
also been told that if I rewire my house "you will die....its that simple
mate" Guess what my next job is........

These so-called experts may have a license to print money but it won't be my
money

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:16:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:35:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having recently replaced my boiler, who do I inform? And what's the
reaction going to be since I DIYed it?

your LA BCO, but since you've already done it prolly best to keep schtum
about it ... retrospective wotsits and all that

I wish someone could explain to me why replacing a boiler in the same
place as the old one should need a BCO to be informed? Does moving the
flue all of 2 ft need planning permission?

It's getting to the point where people will have to notify BCO if they want
to wipe their backsides!

Last year we had a gas fire replaced & a flue liner installed. Guess what,
BCO had to be notified and I was issued with a pretty little certificate.
FFS why should the BCO be involved?

Don.