Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Condensate drain.

Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the condensate
drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it is just pushed
through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby. What would be the best
way to utilise this? I've had a look at Screwfix to see if they have a
thingie for this - but can't find anything. Any connection to it would be
above where foul water enters it.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 6:27 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the condensate
drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it is just pushed
through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby. What would be the best
way to utilise this? I've had a look at Screwfix to see if they have a
thingie for this - but can't find anything. Any connection to it would be
above where foul water enters it.

http://www.bes.co.uk sell an "Overflow to Soil Adaptor"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Vaci wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:27 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the
condensate drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it
is just pushed through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby.
What would be the best way to utilise this? I've had a look at
Screwfix to see if they have a thingie for this - but can't find
anything. Any connection to it would be above where foul water enters
it.

http://www.bes.co.uk sell an "Overflow to Soil Adaptor"

Right - that looks like it will do it. But isn't there a chance of noxious
fumes coming back up it? Or is there some form of trap internal to the
boiler?

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article
,
Vaci wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:27 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the
condensate drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it
is just pushed through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby.
What would be the best way to utilise this? I've had a look at
Screwfix to see if they have a thingie for this - but can't find
anything. Any connection to it would be above where foul water enters
it.

http://www.bes.co.uk sell an "Overflow to Soil Adaptor"

You might want to run 32mm pipework outside, to reduce chance
of it blocking due to freezing. This was suggested in my boiler
installation instructions.

Right - that looks like it will do it. But isn't there a chance of noxious
fumes coming back up it? Or is there some form of trap internal to the
boiler?

Unless there's a condensate collection tank and pump, it
probably already has a U-trap in the pipework to prevent flue
gas going down the condensate pipe. Check the installation
instructions.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:59:37 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article
,
Vaci wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:27 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the
condensate drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it
is just pushed through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby.
What would be the best way to utilise this? I've had a look at
Screwfix to see if they have a thingie for this - but can't find
anything. Any connection to it would be above where foul water enters
it.

http://www.bes.co.uk sell an "Overflow to Soil Adaptor"

Right - that looks like it will do it. But isn't there a chance of noxious
fumes coming back up it? Or is there some form of trap internal to the
boiler?

Mine has a syphon trap (so it wooshes, and doesn't dribble), and
it needs cleaning about annually, so it ought to be accessible inside.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
http://www.bes.co.uk sell an "Overflow to Soil Adaptor"

You might want to run 32mm pipework outside, to reduce chance
of it blocking due to freezing. This was suggested in my boiler
installation instructions.

Right - that would be easy enough.

Right - that looks like it will do it. But isn't there a chance of
noxious fumes coming back up it? Or is there some form of trap
internal to the boiler?

Unless there's a condensate collection tank and pump, it
probably already has a U-trap in the pipework to prevent flue
gas going down the condensate pipe.

OK

Check the installation instructions.

The various alternatives shown always include a hopper. But it is a German
boiler - and the instruction book seems to be more to just remind a fitter
who's been on the course. ;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the condensate
drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it is just pushed
through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby. What would be the best
way to utilise this? I've had a look at Screwfix to see if they have a

Strap on boss and suitable adaptor plug... If you are running any
distance then go up to a wider pipe first.

thingie for this - but can't find anything. Any connection to it would be
above where foul water enters it.

They usually have a syphon trap in the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Since I've got scaffolding up, now is the time to sort out the
condensate drain from my recently installed boiler. At the moment it
is just pushed through the wall. I have a 110mm soil stack nearby.
What would be the best way to utilise this? I've had a look at
Screwfix to see if they have a

Strap on boss and suitable adaptor plug... If you are running any
distance then go up to a wider pipe first.

thingie for this - but can't find anything. Any connection to it would
be above where foul water enters it.

They usually have a syphon trap in the boiler.

Thanks John - that's what I'll do.