Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler condensate drain

Thanks for previous replies from Ed Sirett & Andrew Gabriel, which
solved my problem - empty condensate trap! It's a plastic bottle
stuck on with velcro. Cheap looking but easy to fill & clean.

I have another question about the condensate drain. This is piped
outside (22mm plastic pipe) but ends 6 inches above the ground -
dribbling directly on to the concrete.

Should I pipe it 14ft down to the main drain, or connect to the soil
pipe 18" away, or can it be left alone?

Is the water pure condensation, or does it contain any toxins?

Andrew L.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Andrew L." writes:
Thanks for previous replies from Ed Sirett & Andrew Gabriel, which
solved my problem - empty condensate trap! It's a plastic bottle
stuck on with velcro. Cheap looking but easy to fill & clean.

I have another question about the condensate drain. This is piped
outside (22mm plastic pipe) but ends 6 inches above the ground -
dribbling directly on to the concrete.

Should I pipe it 14ft down to the main drain, or connect to the soil
pipe 18" away, or can it be left alone?

Is the water pure condensation, or does it contain any toxins?

It's slightly acidic. It would probably stain the concrete, and
splashes might harm any mortar in the longer term. It should not
be run in metal pipework. If soil pipe is plastic, I would use that.

External condensate pipework needs some protection against freezing.
Manufacturers instructions on this point vary, but will typically
be to run it in minimum 32mm plastic pipe outdoors and/or to insulate
it. Some boilers collect an amount internally and then pump it out
all in one go, which also helps prevent freezing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-28 12:00:36 +0000, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

In article .com,
"Andrew L." writes:
[...]

Given all of this, the best solution would be to install a 32mm trap
inside at a convenient
place (e.g. near to the existing exit through the wall and run a short
length of 32mm waste
to the soil pipe. Arrange the existing 22mm plastic pipe to end above
the water in the trap.

This will over the freezing issue and provide an air break to eliminate
the risk of the trap
in the boiler being sucked out by siphoning.