Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Condensate Drain options

Hi, all.

We will be doing a loft conversion this year, and one of the things I'm
doing in anticipation is loosing the various header tanks that currently
clutter the loft. I've already lost the DHW header with the installation
of a Megaflo unvented cylinder.

Now, I want to replace the boiler to bring the primary loop up to pressure,
and loose the remaining primary Fill + Expansion tank. The currennt bioler
in non-condensing, and we'd be looking to install a condensing unit.

The boiler is currently in a purpose-built 'room' ( large cupboard! ) in the
garage, which is directly underneath half of the main living space. ( The
property is on a hill, the garage is at the downhill side. ) The pipework
is all conveniently short up to the living space above. I'd rather not
re-site the boiler, if possible.

The only problem would be where to dispose of condensate. The boiler is
mounted on an outside wall, but there are no actual drains of any sort at
that level on that side of the building. I presume I can't just let it
piddle out onto the ground, can I? Or can I?

The options I can see are :

1) A purpose-built soakaway;
2) A lot of trenching to lay in a new drain back to some existing drain
which I would need to find.

Any other options I havn't considered?
How about pumping the condensate up to some existing drain I might find?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS writes:
The only problem would be where to dispose of condensate. The boiler is
mounted on an outside wall, but there are no actual drains of any sort at
that level on that side of the building. I presume I can't just let it
piddle out onto the ground, can I? Or can I?

You can. Probably not a brilliant idea right next to the
foundations though. Also need to ensure the pipe can't
freeze in winter.

The options I can see are :

1) A purpose-built soakaway;
2) A lot of trenching to lay in a new drain back to some existing drain
which I would need to find.

Any other options I havn't considered?
How about pumping the condensate up to some existing drain I might find?

Yes, this is allowed. Condensate pumps are commonly used with
air conditioning units, and you can use the same type.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:30:46 -0000, "Ron Lowe"
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:

The only problem would be where to dispose of condensate. The boiler is
mounted on an outside wall, but there are no actual drains of any sort at
that level on that side of the building. I presume I can't just let it
piddle out onto the ground, can I? Or can I?

I've got this situation too and no you cant do that according to my
electrician

The options I can see are :

1) A purpose-built soakaway;

He says that this is the thing to do. He is going to buy a small (20mm
dia?) soakaway to put in the ground just outside the building The
soakaway is made of something slightly alkali to neutralise the
condensate. He didnt think there would be any problem

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:51:20 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

He says that this is the thing to do. He is going to buy a small (20mm
dia?) soakaway to put in the ground just outside the building The
soakaway is made of something slightly alkali to neutralise the
condensate. He didnt think there would be any problem

Filled with limestone chippings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Stumbles wrote in
news
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:51:20 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

He says that this is the thing to do. He is going to buy a small
(20mm dia?) soakaway to put in the ground just outside the building
The soakaway is made of something slightly alkali to neutralise the
condensate. He didnt think there would be any problem

Filled with limestone chippings.

Technically, you are supposed to ask the Environment Agency if a
condensate soakaway is permitted. Depends on the water table, soil type,
etc. I did and got a pleasant phone call followed by a letter giving
such permission.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 22:25:27 +0000, Rod wrote:

Technically, you are supposed to ask the Environment Agency if a
condensate soakaway is permitted. Depends on the water table, soil type,
etc. I did and got a pleasant phone call followed by a letter giving
such permission.

Hmmn, don't remember anything about that on my C&G{mumble} on energy
efficiency which was all about condensing boilers including condensate
disposal including soakaways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:23:17 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles
wrote this:-

Technically, you are supposed to ask the Environment Agency if a
condensate soakaway is permitted. Depends on the water table, soil type,
etc. I did and got a pleasant phone call followed by a letter giving
such permission.

Hmmn, don't remember anything about that on my C&G{mumble} on energy
efficiency which was all about condensing boilers including condensate
disposal including soakaways.

I suspect that such permission would only be necessary above a
certain size of boiler. A little bit of condensate from household
boilers won't pollute watercourses, even if it drips directly into a
stream.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:32:28 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

I suspect that such permission would only be necessary above a
certain size of boiler. A little bit of condensate from household
boilers won't pollute watercourses, even if it drips directly into a
stream.

And presumably the point about a buffer-filled soakaway is that its
effluent shouldn't be a particular pollutant (except of calcium
bicarbonate or whatever makes for hard water). Also, presumably, you
should renew the contents of the soakaway every so often, though practical
values of 'so often' may be greater than maximum expected boiler lifetimes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Stumbles wrote in
news
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:32:28 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

I suspect that such permission would only be necessary above a
certain size of boiler. A little bit of condensate from household
boilers won't pollute watercourses, even if it drips directly into a
stream.

And presumably the point about a buffer-filled soakaway is that its
effluent shouldn't be a particular pollutant (except of calcium
bicarbonate or whatever makes for hard water). Also, presumably, you
should renew the contents of the soakaway every so often, though
practical values of 'so often' may be greater than maximum expected
boiler lifetimes.

I understand the scepticism - but apparently it applies regardless of
boiler size and the person I spoke to did check up on maps which indicate
the soil and geology of the area.

Unfortunately, I cannot at the moment find a reference - but I shall try
again tomorrow.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:39:07 +0000, Rod wrote:

John Stumbles wrote in
news
[...]

Why not quit the hassle and use a condensate pump like a Sanicondens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jan 2007 22:39:07 GMT someone who may be Rod
wrote this:-

I understand the scepticism - but apparently it applies regardless of
boiler size and the person I spoke to did check up on maps which indicate
the soil and geology of the area.

The "Environment Agency" is an organisation I believe operates in
England and perhaps Wales. It is of little concern to me.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Ed Sirett wrote in
:

[...]

Because, for the sake of a phone call, I got formal permission to do
something that is cheaper and, in our circumstances, much easier than
using a pump. Therefore, no possible issue on selling the property.

I just wanted to point out the permissions issue so that people can make
their own judgement on what to do.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

David Hansen wrote in
news
wrote this:-

I understand the scepticism - but apparently it applies regardless of
boiler size and the person I spoke to did check up on maps which
indicate the soil and geology of the area.

The "Environment Agency" is an organisation I believe operates in
England and perhaps Wales. It is of little concern to me.

Fair enough. My sister would say the same, as she lives in the same
city.

--
Rod