Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Boiler Condensate Drain options

Ed Sirett wrote in
:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:39:07 +0000, Rod wrote:

John Stumbles wrote in
news
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:32:28 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

I suspect that such permission would only be necessary above a
certain size of boiler. A little bit of condensate from household
boilers won't pollute watercourses, even if it drips directly into
a stream.

And presumably the point about a buffer-filled soakaway is that its
effluent shouldn't be a particular pollutant (except of calcium
bicarbonate or whatever makes for hard water). Also, presumably, you
should renew the contents of the soakaway every so often, though
practical values of 'so often' may be greater than maximum expected
boiler lifetimes.

I understand the scepticism - but apparently it applies regardless of
boiler size and the person I spoke to did check up on maps which
indicate the soil and geology of the area.

Unfortunately, I cannot at the moment find a reference - but I shall
try again tomorrow.

Why not quit the hassle and use a condensate pump like a Sanicondens?

Because, for the sake of a phone call, I got formal permission to do
something that is cheaper and, in our circumstances, much easier than
using a pump. Therefore, no possible issue on selling the property.

I just wanted to point out the permissions issue so that people can make
their own judgement on what to do.

--
Rod