Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default condensate drain cleaning?

Hello all,
We live in Georgia and have a Rheem A/C unit. I just read
about the need to have condensate drain cleaned out every year.
Thus far, we have never done this for the last 4 years in this
house.

Is once a year a good rule of thumb?
How does a person who is not hands-on type verify
if this needs to be done?

We have an attic where we go to change the A/C filters.
Then there are units outside the house. Should the drain
be checked outside the house?

Any help appreciated!
THANKS

Posted to misc.consumers.house

ap wrote:

Hello all,
We live in Georgia and have a Rheem A/C unit. I just read
about the need to have condensate drain cleaned out every year.
Thus far, we have never done this for the last 4 years in this
house.

Is once a year a good rule of thumb?
How does a person who is not hands-on type verify
if this needs to be done?

We have an attic where we go to change the A/C filters.
Then there are units outside the house. Should the drain
be checked outside the house?

Any help appreciated!
THANKS

Your drain will be in the attic and could be any
of a dozen configurations and locations where it
drains to.

Jim
Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
We live in Georgia and have a Rheem A/C unit. I just read
about the need to have condensate drain cleaned out every year.
Thus far, we have never done this for the last 4 years in this
house.

Is once a year a good rule of thumb?
How does a person who is not hands-on type verify
if this needs to be done?

We have an attic where we go to change the A/C filters.
Then there are units outside the house. Should the drain
be checked outside the house?

Any help appreciated!
THANKS

Call a local HVAC company and get set up on a service agreement. They will
take care of it, all you do is change the filter and write them a check once
a year to keep it serviced. Wasn't that easy??

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

I would check references.
I have used several "Professional" services, only to find out they all are
different. Some send some kid that is just learning.
I have heard from some, that some components in the 'Air Handler' need to be
removed to be cleaned (A-Coil). And not to let them cut a hole in the return
duct to clean it the A-Coil.
Your best bet is to get it 'Professionally' cleaned.... But by whom???

My AC has two drains. One from the drain pan (Emergency drain). The other
drains all the time. That line has a "T" in it and a cap that removes so I
can pour bleach in the line (Annually). It cleans the line out to the trap
next to where the compressor is outside.