Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default conservatory roof blinds

Just decorated my conservatory but the roof blinds are looking tatty
and are the wrong colour.
The roof is triple-wall polycarbonate in typical triangular diamonds.
The roof blinds are corrugated material that can be retracted.

Really don't wanna buy similar replacemennts - ISTR they cost a bomb.

Is there anything on the market now that could be used as a
replacement? I'm thinking of something about an inch thick and opaque
to let some light in but protect the Amtico floor from the sun. Maybe
even solid material that I could cut to shape and fit into the
triangles of the roof.

They wouldn't need to be retractable - I haven't touched the existing
ones since they were fitted.

Or is there some miracle paint-on product?
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:39:55 +0100, blackbat wrote:

Just decorated my conservatory but the roof blinds are looking tatty and
are the wrong colour.
The roof is triple-wall polycarbonate in typical triangular diamonds.
The roof blinds are corrugated material that can be retracted.

Really don't wanna buy similar replacemennts - ISTR they cost a bomb.

Is there anything on the market now that could be used as a replacement?
I'm thinking of something about an inch thick and opaque to let some
light in but protect the Amtico floor from the sun. Maybe even solid
material that I could cut to shape and fit into the triangles of the
roof.

They wouldn't need to be retractable - I haven't touched the existing
ones since they were fitted.

Or is there some miracle paint-on product?

There are thin metallic strips that you insert inside the corrugated poly
- they are supposed to work very well. Definitely better to fit them as
the roof goes in though, and much easier with rectangular roof sections.

....or how about greenhouse shading? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:54:14 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

There are thin metallic strips that you insert inside the corrugated poly
- they are supposed to work very well.

Right

Definitely better to fit them as
the roof goes in though, and much easier with rectangular roof sections.

I bet. The roof is about ten years old too.

...or how about greenhouse shading? ;-)

nice n cheap...
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
Just decorated my conservatory but the roof blinds are looking tatty
and are the wrong colour.
The roof is triple-wall polycarbonate in typical triangular diamonds.
The roof blinds are corrugated material that can be retracted.

Really don't wanna buy similar replacemennts - ISTR they cost a bomb.

They don't work very well either.
You want the shading on the outside.
Make some wooden runners and some hardwood slat blinds and fit them outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They don't work very well either.
You want the shading on the outside.
Make some wooden runners and some hardwood slat blinds and fit them
outside.

i'm thinking of this too...

It seems best to have blinds outside the glass
so that the heat doesnt get inside,
but how to do it so that the wind wont damage them
and then the damaged blinds damage the roof
(thinking of skylights up on the roof)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:26:01 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

They don't work very well either.

They've been OK - the conservatory has got a large tree on the sunny
side.
You want the shading on the outside.
Make some wooden runners and some hardwood slat blinds and fit them outside.

Got any pics of examples?
Doesn't sound too attractive, particularly if I make 'em :-)
--

blackbat /\x/\

The different types of conservatory blinds trav Home Repair 0 September 16th 07 09:26 AM
Side blinds in PVC conservatory John Cartmell UK diy 0 November 13th 05 03:36 PM
conservatory blinds? anon UK diy 1 October 3rd 04 11:45 AM
Fitting blinds into a conservatory GT UK diy 1 August 26th 03 06:23 PM
Conservatory blinds Paul UK diy 2 July 25th 03 02:03 PM