Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting PVC

We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a
window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine, but
I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also made of
PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it need?
I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests that it
will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a
window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine,

but
I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also made

of
PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it need?
I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests that

it
will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks

Edward

No need for an primer,just wipe the upvc down with ether meths or white
spirits and let it dry off,then mask the glass.
DIY sheds or paint shopds for this...Humbrol do a can of spray for plastics
and are more or less the same size as car spray aerosols.
Colours are limited though so you might have to shop around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward wrote:
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a
window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine, but
I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also made of
PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it need?
I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests that it
will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks

Edward

I've always believed you needed a strong solvent (e.g. Hammerite) to
etch the pvc. ESP appears to be water based, so presumably it creates a
film that sticks to the surface. I don't like the sound of it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Edward" writes:
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a
window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine, but
I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also made of
PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it need?
I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests that it
will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Oil-based gloss top coat paints PVC very well.
No primer or undercoat is used -- the solvent in the paint
carries the paint into the surface of the PVC (it absolutely
won't come off, so don't get it on any PVC where you don't
want it).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward wrote:
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced
with a window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill,
which is fine, but I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like
oak). It's also made of PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What
sort of primer does it need? I've had success with ESP in the past -
and the literature suggests that it will work with PVC - does anyone
have any experience of it?
Thanks

Edward

Edward,

No experienced the use of ESP (Easy Surface Preparation presumably) ?

But these words are straight from the mouth of an AKZO paint Technical Rep
some years ago regarding painting plastic soil pipes and the like with a
gloss paint:

"simply give a light rubbing-down, wipe down the plastic with white spirit,
let it dry and then apply two (or three if required) coats of gloss to the
surface - rubbing down between coats" - and that was that, NO primer or
undercoats.

It worked on that material - so it may be an option for you.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Edward wrote:
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with
a window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is
fine, but I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak).
It's also made of PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of
primer does it need? I've had success with ESP in the past - and the
literature suggests that it will work with PVC - does anyone have any
experience of it?

Just make sure it's clean and paint straight with oil based topcoat. No
primer necessary. It will last far longer than paint on wood regardless of
how well you prep the wood.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with a
window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine,
but I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also
made of PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does it
need? I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature suggests
that it will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll go with a light rub, clean with white
spirit and straight on with the top coat

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message

"Edward" wrote in message
We had our windows replaced with u-PVC and also had a door replaced with

window. The window fitters put in a plastic window sill, which is fine,
but I don't like the colour (it's printed to look like oak). It's also
made of PVC (I imagine) - how can I paint it? What sort of primer does

it
need? I've had success with ESP in the past - and the literature

suggests
that it will work with PVC - does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll go with a light rub, clean with

white
spirit and straight on with the top coat

Edward

And see brush marks on ya nice new DG sill. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've painted PVC windows a few times and it's always lasted
brilliantly. I think this is because PVC doesn't move around like
wood so the paint does not crack

My question is to the group. Has anybody painted a PVC vertical
sliding sash (like the system 10 v/s sliding windows).

I hate white PVC windows and would like to paint a vertical slider a
deep blue colour. Do you think if I painted it deep blue that you
would notice the "shut lines" where the sashes slide against the
outside frame?

If the paint rubbed of and you saw white lines that would look
awful!! There was a firm who once sprayed PVC windows. Has anybody
seen the results!

Thanks!

painting around door trim - inside painting Eigenvector Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 11:34 PM
Painting or Spray painting dried wild flowers michaelangelo7 UK diy 1 December 31st 05 07:05 PM
Painting plaster Vs papering then painting Tim Downie UK diy 2 October 26th 04 10:54 AM
painting help Patt Home Repair 4 August 30th 04 05:05 PM
World's Best Natural Sea Sponges Available From Tarpon Springs, FL Faux Painting, Sponge Painting, Home Decor tarponspongecompany Home Repair 0 June 8th 04 04:43 AM