Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there a hinge suitable for this cupboard?

A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me
to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45
degrees.

Plan view he

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/HINGE.jpg

Is there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me
that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the
door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of
the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:24:02 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me
to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45
degrees.

Plan view he

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/HINGE.jpg

Is there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me
that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the
door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of
the door.

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Cerberus . wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:24:02 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me
to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45
degrees.

Plan view he

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/HINGE.jpg

Is there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me
that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the
door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of
the door.

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Don.

Maybe have a look he

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/01/20/index.php

Blum offer a wide range of hinges (of the Euro type) with special
features - e.g. for opening within an gap, extra wide opening, etc. You
can also find fitting details, etc. on the site. They are probably the
best quality and, in my experience, the easiest to fit and adjust.

(If you do use them, get the Blum template part number 65.5300 to make
fitting the carcase-side part easy. This will work with some other makes
as well. 27mm from edge & 32mm between holes. Just happens to be next to
my computer...)

I do not have any shares in Blum, but I'm starting to think about it... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 7:11*am, "Cerberus ." wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:24:02 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Tried that on some offcuts. The 45 degree angle stops it opening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me
to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45
degrees.

Plan view he

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/HINGE.jpg

Is there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me
that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the
door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of
the door.

Cut the sides with a 45 degree bevel, then you effectively have a flat
surface for the door to open/close to.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On May 31, 7:11 am, "Cerberus ." wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:24:02 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Tried that on some offcuts. The 45 degree angle stops it opening.

Odd. I have a corner cupboard with 45 degree door and 135 hinge.

It may have had a slightly different hinge version.

Anyway, such hinges are abailable, and idf you male the door a few mmm
proud of the carcase, its no big deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"mike" wrote in message
A mate has designed a cupboard for an odd-shaped alcove and asked me
to build it for him.

The front of the cupboard isn't parallel to the back -- it's at 45
degrees.

Plan view he

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/HINGE.jpg

Is there any kind of concealed hinge that would work with that design?

He doesn't want the hinge visible on the outside and it seems to me
that, unless there's some weird hinge out there that first pushes the
door forward, the side of the cupboard will obstruct the rotation of
the door.

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door 50mm
narrower, job done

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On May 31, 7:11 am, "Cerberus ." wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:24:02 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

The bog standard 'Euro hinge' as found on kitchen cabinets.

Tried that on some offcuts. The 45 degree angle stops it opening.

Having just fitted some of these last week... are you sure that you
haven't drilled the circular recesses too close to the edge of the door?
That will have the same effect, regardless of whether its a 45-deg
door or not.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 9:09*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
mike wrote:
On May 31, 7:11 am, "Cerberus ." wrote:

Odd. I have a corner cupboard with *45 degree door and 135 hinge.

It may have had a slightly different hinge version.

Anyway, such hinges are abailable, and idf you male the door a few mmm
proud of the carcase, its no big deal.

I've tried different hinges and not only did it not work, I couldn't
see how it would work.

But I'm prepared to accept that I'm being thick about it.

Can you please post a link to a picture of the type of hinge you're
talking about?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 9:23*am, Lobster wrote:

Having just fitted some of these last week... are you sure that you
haven't drilled the circular recesses too close to the edge of the door?
* * * That will have the same effect, regardless of whether its a 45-deg
door or not.

I'm pretty sure it was right.

Because the edge has a 45 degree bevel, you'd be busting out of the
other side of the MDF if you were too close to the edge.

You're making me doubt myself now, but I did try three different
versions of concealed hinges and they all fouled as the door opened.

Any further advice appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 9:04*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Cut the sides with a 45 degree bevel, then you effectively have a flat
surface for the door to open/close to.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at, Dave.

The sides are at 45 degrees - as is the vertical door edge - and
that's what's causing the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 9:12*am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door 50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:38*am, Rod wrote:

Maybe have a look he

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/01/20/index.php

Thanks for the link.

The "corner cabinet 45 degree" hinge at the bottom of page 60 looks
like it would work - just means the bevel on the side panels would
have to be the opposite to what it is in the plan and the test
pieces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door 50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On May 31, 9:23 am, Lobster wrote:

Having just fitted some of these last week... are you sure that you
haven't drilled the circular recesses too close to the edge of the door?
That will have the same effect, regardless of whether its a 45-deg
door or not.

I'm pretty sure it was right.

Because the edge has a 45 degree bevel, you'd be busting out of the
other side of the MDF if you were too close to the edge.

True - maybe its that which is causing the problem (ie, that you can't
get close enough to the door edge)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door 50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove, innit?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door
50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove,
innit?

???

There are hinges that work in alcoves or is there some other problem?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door
50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove,
innit?

Why not split the door down the middle and have it fold on its self when you
open it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On May 31, 9:23 am, Lobster wrote:

Having just fitted some of these last week... are you sure that you
haven't drilled the circular recesses too close to the edge of the door?
That will have the same effect, regardless of whether its a 45-deg
door or not.

I'm pretty sure it was right.

Because the edge has a 45 degree bevel, you'd be busting out of the
other side of the MDF if you were too close to the edge.

You're making me doubt myself now, but I did try three different
versions of concealed hinges and they all fouled as the door opened.

Any further advice appreciated.

OK, if you'll permit me to take my plane to your door, what's wrong with
the following?:
http://img901.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2008/05/31/hinge-4aoxak7uj.jpeg

The front face of the door is undisturbed, so it would look identical to
your version.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door
50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove,
innit?

???

There are hinges that work in alcoves or is there some other problem?

Look at the OP's picture again: because the cabinet is at angle to the
wall, if you were to hinge it along the top edge, the door would impinge
on the space to the right of the cabinet, which is presumably currently
occupied by wall?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

Add a 50mm door pillar on the same plane as the door, make the door
50mm
narrower, job done

You're moving the goal posts now!

Ideally, it has to be a full width door with the hinges invisible from
outside..

Hinge it at the top. 8-)

But aesthetics aside, that's no good either as this is in an alcove,
innit?

???

There are hinges that work in alcoves or is there some other problem?

Look at the OP's picture again: because the cabinet is at angle to the
wall, if you were to hinge it along the top edge, the door would impinge
on the space to the right of the cabinet, which is presumably currently
occupied by wall?

It might if the wall continues on the hinge side, but the drawing doesn't
show that.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

On May 31, 9:12 am, "TMC" wrote:

[...]

But thew drawing only makes sense having a hinge on that side if there
*is* a wall there, surely?

David

[Do Dennis and I get a prize for the most pointless argument of the
month so far?]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 12:37*pm, Lobster wrote:

OK, if you'll permit me to take my plane to your door, what's wrong with
the following?:
http://img901.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2008/05/31/hinge-4aoxak7uj...

I had no idea there was a "plane" tool in Photoshop!

The front face of the door is undisturbed, so it would look identical to
your version.

That would work, if it's acceptable to the "client".

I'm still curious to know if there's some bizarre hinge out there that
throws the door forwards before opening.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 12:13*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

Hinge it at the top. *8-)

Floor to ceiling height cabinet :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 2:11*pm, Lobster wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

There are hinges that work in alcoves or is there some other problem?

Look at the OP's picture again: because the cabinet is at angle to the
wall, if you were to hinge it along the top edge, the door would impinge
on the space to the right of the cabinet, which is presumably currently
occupied by wall?

It's actually between a full height, standard depth unit on the left
and one side of an archway on the right.

The reason for it hinging on the right is that it then effectively
opens into the kitchen space rather than to the room on the other side
of the archway.

Without seeing it again, I'm not sure whether the right hand / hinge
edge of the door is visible from beyond the archway or if it's
completely inset. I think the former -- which would explain why
concealed hinges were needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

mike wrote:
On May 31, 12:37 pm, Lobster wrote:

OK, if you'll permit me to take my plane to your door, what's wrong with
the following?:
http://img901.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2008/05/31/hinge-4aoxak7uj...

I had no idea there was a "plane" tool in Photoshop!

The front face of the door is undisturbed, so it would look identical to
your version.

That would work, if it's acceptable to the "client".

I'm still curious to know if there's some bizarre hinge out there that
throws the door forwards before opening.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

I take it you did find the Blum "+30° angled hinge full overlay"
79A9456.T? Fits 25 to 35 degree angled cupboards.

Brochure pages 106 and 107 for application detail drawings (pdf page
67/105) in:

http://www.blum.com/pdf/katalog/ka080_en/02/KA080-KP-002.pdf

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 4:06*pm, Rod wrote:

I take it you did find the Blum "+30° angled hinge full overlay"
79A9456.T? Fits 25 to 35 degree angled cupboards.

Thanks for the link, Rod.

I looked through the catalogue but missed that one. (It's a hefty
catalogue.)

I see the website lists several suppliers within travelling distance
but do you have a preferred online/mail order supplier that you could
recommend?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

mike wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:06 pm, Rod wrote:

I take it you did find the Blum "+30° angled hinge full overlay"
79A9456.T? Fits 25 to 35 degree angled cupboards.

Thanks for the link, Rod.

I looked through the catalogue but missed that one. (It's a hefty
catalogue.)

I see the website lists several suppliers within travelling distance
but do you have a preferred online/mail order supplier that you could
recommend?

I am lucky (in this regard) - I live near Isaac Lord (High Wycombe). But
even they do not stock all the products. Where are you?

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/Default.aspx

The catalogue in paper form would be huge - especially if you include
all their product lines.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 6:57*pm, Rod wrote:

I am lucky (in this regard) - I live near Isaac Lord (High Wycombe). But
even they do not stock all the products. Where are you?

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/Default.aspx

Up in Yorkshire. But thanks for the link. I'll check it out.