Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suitable Rough Saw

I have some old floor boards and fence posts which I want to cut up to
burn in a stove. Would an ordinary reciprocating saw with a
demolition blade or a DeWalt alligator saw be better for this job?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"robthill" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some old floor boards and fence posts which I want to cut up to
burn in a stove. Would an ordinary reciprocating saw with a
demolition blade or a DeWalt alligator saw be better for this job?

The recip. saw would work, but if the floor boards are really old, they may
be tinder dry.....meaning they will give off sparks like the 4th of July Not
sure what the posts would do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brent Beal" wrote in message ...

"robthill" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some old floor boards and fence posts which I want to cut up to
burn in a stove. Would an ordinary reciprocating saw with a
demolition blade or a DeWalt alligator saw be better for this job?

The recip. saw would work, but if the floor boards are really old, they may
be tinder dry.....meaning they will give off sparks like the 4th of July Not
sure what the posts would do.

Feed those floor boards slow till you find how they burn. Old pine can go up almost like gasoline.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 26, 1:32 am, "Rick Samuel" wrote:
"Brent Beal" wrote in ...

"robthill" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some old floor boards and fence posts which I want to cut up to
burn in a stove. Would an ordinary reciprocating saw with a
demolition blade or a DeWalt alligator saw be better for this job?

The recip. saw would work, but if the floor boards are really old, they may
be tinder dry.....meaning they will give off sparks like the 4th of July Not
sure what the posts would do.

Feed those floor boards slow till you find how they burn. Old pine can go up almost like gasoline.

Thanks Brent..I will bear your good advice in mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 1:57 pm, robthill wrote:
I have some old floor boards and fence posts which I want to cut up to
burn in a stove. Would an ordinary reciprocating saw with a
demolition blade or a DeWalt alligator saw be better for this job?

I use a worm-drive saw with a nail cutting demolition blade for that
type of work. The skil worm-drive is famous and I have one. It makes
demolition easy compared to any other type of saws I have used
including recips. Never seen the alligator saw in use but it is quite
a unique saw from what I can tell. The skil worm drive is a must have
as far as I'm concerned. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Skil-HD77-4-In...0196035&sr=8-1

For only $125!!! I would buy it if I didn't already own it, hehe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
The recip. saw would work, but if the floor boards are really old,
they may be tinder dry.....meaning they will give off sparks like the 4th of
July Not sure what the posts would do.

Feed those floor boards slow till you find how they burn. Old pine
can go up almost like gasoline.

Amen to that. About 23 years ago they were tearing down an old
orphanage and selling off anything of value for pennies. I bought the
rock maple flooring (date stamped, IIRC 1907) covered with varnish. Got
it up and out and made a couple nice workbench tops, etc. and managed to
ruin a Crapsman circular saw in the process.

Scraps wound up going for kindling for the woodstove in house. Damn
stuff, split up like giant, 12" splinters burned better than fatwood.
Don't think I'd have wanted to burn a full load as fuel. Hot and fast
it worked great to ignite great chunks of oak and hickory logs.