Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WTD: Double Pole Door Bell button

Anyone seen a double pole door bell button. Friend wants to change his
existing front door bell button to add a zone to his alarm system, so as
when the door bell is rung, he can program a sounder in his outhouse to
activate.

Preferably needs to be two totally separate contacts, one be normally open
and other normally closed. I've looked on RS and can see some nice buttons
for the job, but no point reinventing the wheel if there is a proper button
out there already.

Thanks

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:09:55 +0100, SantaUK wrote:

Anyone seen a double pole door bell button.

Nope, shouldn't think they exist as there is no great need for them.
Either use a DP button switch as you say from RS or a bog standard
doorbell switch and a DP relay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone seen a double pole door bell button. Friend wants to change his
existing front door bell button to add a zone to his alarm system, so as
when the door bell is rung, he can program a sounder in his outhouse to
activate.

Preferably needs to be two totally separate contacts, one be normally open
and other normally closed. I've looked on RS and can see some nice buttons
for the job, but no point reinventing the wheel if there is a proper button
out there already.

It would be easiest to make the bellpush operate a relay with as many
contact pairs as you like :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking at that just now. Problem lies with trying to get a small enough
relay hiden in the wall behind the button. Thats the closest location for a
cable to the alarm panel. Just surfing trying to find a small relay just
now.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May, 12:09, "SantaUK" wrote:
Anyone seen a double pole door bell button. *Friend wants to change his
existing front door bell button to add a zone to his alarm system, so as
when the door bell is rung, he can program a sounder in his outhouse to
activate.

Preferably needs to be two totally separate contacts, one be normally open
and other normally closed. *I've looked on RS and can see some nice buttons
for the job, but no point reinventing the wheel if there is a proper button
out there already.

Thanks

SantaUK

Hi,

Wouldn't it be easier and more flexible to add a wireless bell to the
circuit? I did this for my old mum. She has a wired underdome bell
loud enough to wake the dead in the house. I put something like this
in the circuit
http://www.responseelectronics.com/s...ll-pr-107.html
(in fact the older model which has been discontinued). It connects to
an existing wired bell and push to allow you to transmit a signal to a
wirefree bell. She can have the wireless bell in the greenhouse, the
garden shed or anywhere else she might be pottering about.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:41:58 +0100, SantaUK wrote:

Looking at that just now. Problem lies with trying to get a small
enough relay hiden in the wall behind the button. Thats the closest
location for a cable to the alarm panel. Just surfing trying to find a
small relay just now.

Bung the relay in the alarm panel where you'll have a handy supply and
easy connection into the alarm system. You'll only need a single pair from
bell push to panel and from panel to bell.

Though I guess you don't want to mess to much with existing bell wring but
alarm cable has 6 cores (normally). With the relay in the panel you only
need 4 wires +12 to bell push, switched +12 back to relay, and a NO pair
back to the existing bell wiring.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MMMmmm, that has serious potential. I'll check that out just now.

Regards

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SantaUK wrote:
Anyone seen a double pole door bell button. Friend wants to change his
existing front door bell button to add a zone to his alarm system, so as
when the door bell is rung, he can program a sounder in his outhouse to
activate.

Preferably needs to be two totally separate contacts, one be normally
open and other normally closed. I've looked on RS and can see some
nice buttons for the job, but no point reinventing the wheel if there
is a proper button out there already.

If you can find a double pole push switch it won't be a doorbell one so
may not look too good. Easiest way is to use a relay. Wire it across the
bell at the most convenient point. Likely to be easier to wire than a
double pole push too. You'll probably need a diode or two also as most
easily obtained low voltage relays are DC. Maplin should have what's
needed.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now you have gave me a thought. I kept thinking about the existing door
bell activating the relay, and not the alarm panel. Your idea may just have
hit the nail on the head.

Cheers

SantaUK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cool, just tested with my own door bell and a realy, and I'll be able to get
that done on Sunday :-0)

Thanks for that Dave, and thanks to the rest of you for your responses.

SantaUK

Double Pole switch??? J.C. Home Repair 11 April 1st 07 09:32 PM
Double pole circuit breaker Darrin Home Repair 13 January 18th 07 07:24 PM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
Double Pole Circuit Breakers [email protected] Home Repair 20 June 24th 06 03:30 PM
Dual double pole FCU switches Ian UK diy 5 September 8th 03 03:45 PM