Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First Grade Redwood

I'll be going to one of the big timber yards here in Liverpool (Beers
Timber)
tomorrow. The web site has First Grade Redwood listed.
What are the characteristics of this wood...what should I get?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
I'll be going to one of the big timber yards here in Liverpool (Beers
Timber)
tomorrow. The web site has First Grade Redwood listed.
What are the characteristics of this wood...what should I get?

Thanks.

Arthur

"First grade" doesn't really mean anything. European Redwood is graded
as "unsorted", then 5th and 6th grade. Don't ask me what happened to the
grades in between :-)
More important is where it comes from. Swedish Upper Gulf, anything from
Finland, and Russian Karasea are all good quality shipping marks (the
red letters stamped on the end) but these grades are considerably more
expensive.
Most timber merchants stock a respectable middle of the road grade and
call it "joinery quality". You can only tell how good it is by looking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:
I'll be going to one of the big timber yards here in Liverpool (Beers
Timber)
tomorrow. The web site has First Grade Redwood listed.
What are the characteristics of this wood...what should I get?

Thanks.

Arthur

"First grade" doesn't really mean anything. European Redwood is graded as
"unsorted", then 5th and 6th grade. Don't ask me what happened to the
grades in between :-)
More important is where it comes from. Swedish Upper Gulf, anything from
Finland, and Russian Karasea are all good quality shipping marks (the red
letters stamped on the end) but these grades are considerably more
expensive.
Most timber merchants stock a respectable middle of the road grade and
call it "joinery quality". You can only tell how good it is by looking.

Taken a look this morning. Knots looked tight but there were too many to
give
much confidence as I want to rebate for a front door and route mouldings
onto it.
I've compromised and bought the red hardwood timber with precut rebates and
sad arse ovolo.
I'd have gone for mahogany last year but less money in the pocket this year.

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
[...]

Tight knots is a feature of redwood (unlike e.g. whitewood) but too many
is usually an indication of low grade.

Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company WARNING [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 7th 19 09:14 PM
Redwood Saxman Woodworking 8 January 27th 08 09:37 PM
how to set up a used dry redwood hottub sarahstar1111 Home Repair 3 November 3rd 06 04:12 PM
Hy-Grade Hy Grade Steel Roofing Roof Company W A R N I N G [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 13th 06 06:36 PM
How to age Redwood SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 2 June 3rd 05 05:07 AM