Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Redwood

My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.We have tried many
things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.The first sealer
was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it
is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type
products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be
appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Saxman" wrote in message
My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.We have tried many
things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.The first sealer
was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it
is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type
products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be
appreciated.

How about putting nothing on it? This is the easiest, cheapest and redwood
really doesn't need anything on it as a protectant. If you must use something
take a look at the various penetrating oils on the market intended for decks.
They come in clear and redwood colors. Reapplication requires no sanding
in subsequent years.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Saxman" wrote in message
My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.We have tried many
things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.The first sealer
was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it
is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type
products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be
appreciated.

Like all type paint products none are as good as they used to be. Hummmmm..

You mention a clear varnish that does not hold up as well as the paint
product that held up for 20 years.
Paints hold up much better than clear varnishes when exposed to sun light.
Paints hold up better because they are opaque and do not let sun light
totally penetrate the finish.

Your best varnish is probably going to be a Spar varnish, but be prepared to
refinish ever few years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:31:21 -0800 (PST), Saxman
wrote:

My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.

I'd skip the clear and go for Olympic Maximum Cedar Tint outdoor oil
finish.

It'll protect the color, never peel, and it's ridiculously easy to
apply.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.

I'd skip the clear and go for Olympic Maximum Cedar Tint outdoor oil
finish.

It'll protect the color, never peel, and it's ridiculously easy to
apply.

;~) How long is your experience with the product? I have been wanting to
stain/tint my deck that is PT with 24 years of sun exposure. Still very
sound but rough looking but IMHO rough looking is better than pealing paint.
The Olympic product sounds interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Saxman" wrote in message

We have tried many
things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.

Was it very loud when it pealed?

The first sealer
was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it
is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type
products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be
appreciated.

Varnish type finishes will peel after while. Use something like Penofin oil
every couple of years. Has UV protectors to help keep the natural color
too. www.penofin.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

The paint pros all use Penofin oil on anything like outdoor furniture
and decks. There is a local guy (here in California where the Redwoods
grow), that uses reclaimed heavy rewood timbers to create really great
looking outdoor furniture that he sells at the local craft fairs. He
too answered "Penofin" when asked. It comes in clear or colors but is
just the best stuff going. Being a true oil finish and not a varnish
it will never peel. It provides great UV and water protection. It's
the stuff.

On Jan 26, 1:31*pm, Saxman wrote:
My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have
sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around
it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.We have tried many
things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.The first sealer
was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it
is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type
products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:00:11 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

;~) How long is your experience with the product?

Personally, about 8 or 9 years.

The key is to apply one coat, as the label says, and reapply every 2-3
years. If more than one coat is applied, what isn't absorbed can get
sticky. More is not better. The clear version does not have the same
UV protection as the cedar tinted formula.

The guy who turned me on to it is local to me:
http://www.baldwinpergolas.com/finishing.php
http://www.baldwinfurniture.com/

All of his natural finished products are sprayed with cedar tinted
Maximum. He's probably got 10,000 items out there, including sample
benches and chairs for public use, all over the Main Street sidewalks
of local towns. Some of his pergolas go on seriously high-end homes.

He tells all of his customers what he uses, so they can better
maintain their purchases.

Redwood Deck Corinne Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 07:19 AM
What's my redwood worth? Leonardo Home Repair 5 December 14th 05 01:40 AM
redwood burl [email protected] Woodturning 0 August 16th 05 03:44 PM
Best Way to Protect Redwood Buck Turgidson Woodworking 2 July 18th 05 09:47 PM
How to age Redwood SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 2 June 3rd 05 05:07 AM