Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default daughter caught her fingers in wind blown door

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 6:09*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"misterroy" wrote in message

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

luckily upvc door, little bit of give in the seal. I have seen her
hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door. "slamstops" is a
googlewhack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 7:22*pm, misterroy wrote:
On May 24, 6:09*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"misterroy" wrote in message

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

luckily upvc door, little bit of give in the seal. I have seen her
hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door. "slamstops" is a
googlewhack.

ta, going to try these:
http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/3334...fety-sale.html
paid and on their way, unless there is anything better?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

"misterroy" wrote in message
There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?
ta
Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

luckily upvc door, little bit of give in the seal. I have seen her
hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door. "slamstops" is a
googlewhack.

ta, going to try these:
http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/3334...fety-sale.html
paid and on their way, unless there is anything better?

Just to check - you have a uPVC door and the link says "suitable for
most household doors with wooden frame"? I *hope* they work for you.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"misterroy" wrote in message

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

luckily upvc door, little bit of give in the seal. I have seen her
hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door. "slamstops" is a
googlewhack.

ta, going to try these:http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/3334...top-slam-finge...
paid and on their way, unless there is anything better?

Having looked at those I do just wonder if the packet of 6 very
similar looking items form Ikea for a relatively few pence would be a
damn sight cheaper. The Ikea ones are for stopping kitchen cabinet
door slamming so should be much the same.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
On May 24, 6:09 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"misterroy" wrote in message

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?
ta

Gloves, slamstops (I think that's what they were called) from mother care.
What type of door and which bit? The hinge end can take your fingers off if
you are silly enough to put them there.

luckily upvc door, little bit of give in the seal. I have seen her
hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door. "slamstops" is a
googlewhack.

I got my fingers caught in a train door.

Once.

No more need be said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:54:54 -0700 (PDT), misterroy wrote:

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

How old is daughter? The only proper solution is education and not putting
fingers in door jambs anything else just delays the finding out the hard
way that door jambs are not a place for fingers. Guards and stops are all
well and good but not every door in the world fitted with 'em.

If she is fairly young todays experience will have taught her that. Might
need a bit of gentle parental reminding of it if you see her fingers in a
jamb again.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 5:54 pm, misterroy wrote:
There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Arrange for her to catch her fingers in the latch side of the door.
Given that even the stupidest human is a good deal brighter than a
pigeon, or even a dog, she will then learn that closing doors can be
*painful* and should be avoided.

Until you have done this, you need to watch very carefully that she
does not catch her fingers in the hinge side. (Although that will
also teach the lesson, permanent digit loss is a rather high price to
pay.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 9:35*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On May 24, 5:54 pm, misterroy wrote:

There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

ta

Arrange for her to catch her fingers in the latch side of the door.
Given that even the stupidest human is a good deal brighter than a
pigeon, or even a dog, she will then learn that closing doors can be
*painful* and should be avoided.

Until you have done this, you need to watch very carefully that she
does not catch her fingers in the hinge side. *(Although that will
also teach the lesson, permanent digit loss is a rather high price to
pay.)

on the brighter side, digits are supposed to regrow under the age of
8, although I'm not keen to experiment. There are other wooden doors
in the house, which can slam too, so at £3 the pop, they are worth
investigating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
There has been a few close calls, today was the closest. some tears
but she's fine. What are the options to avoid it happening again?

Sorry to highjack your thread, but what causes doors to slam when there is
little wind? If our back door is open & the front is opened the front door
will invariably slam shut after a while.

Some kind of pressure thing?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when you
see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a serious
bollocking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:27:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when you
see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a serious
bollocking.

Aye, it's called "good parenting"...

Though a gentle and carefully controlled demonstration (on her fingers) of
what could happen together with a calm and caring explanation is probably
better than "pulling her hand out and giving her a serious bollocking."

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:27:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when you
see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a serious
bollocking.

Aye, it's called "good parenting"...

Though a gentle and carefully controlled demonstration (on her fingers) of
what could happen together with a calm and caring explanation is probably
better than "pulling her hand out and giving her a serious bollocking."

.... or something more dramatic with a carrot being chopped in two in the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:27:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when you
see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a serious
bollocking.

Aye, it's called "good parenting"...

Though a gentle and carefully controlled demonstration (on her fingers)
of
what could happen together with a calm and caring explanation is probably
better than "pulling her hand out and giving her a serious bollocking."

... or something more dramatic with a carrot being chopped in two in the
door.

If it was the hinge side than a slam stopper wouldn't prevent the problem as
the damage could be done way before the door is closed. You need protection
for the hinge side (seen in McDonalds toilets) A sort of plastic pleated
guard.

http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/p/3921...ity-white.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote in

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

[...]

And they do work - fitted as standard in many residential settings with
folks who have disabilities, both learning and physical.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:27:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the
door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when
you see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a
serious bollocking.

Aye, it's called "good parenting"...

Though a gentle and carefully controlled demonstration (on her
fingers) of what could happen together with a calm and caring
explanation is probably better than "pulling her hand out and giving
her a serious bollocking."

... or something more dramatic with a carrot being chopped in two in the
door.

....and immediately restored into one!

Sorry, wrong hat on....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 16:55:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:27:39 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I have seen her hold the frame at the hinge side to go out the
door.

FFS, is she TRYING to lose her fingers? Surely it's a case of when
you see her doing that, pulling her hand out and giving her a
serious bollocking.

Aye, it's called "good parenting"...

Though a gentle and carefully controlled demonstration (on her
fingers) of what could happen together with a calm and caring
explanation is probably better than "pulling her hand out and giving
her a serious bollocking."

... or something more dramatic with a carrot being chopped in two in the
door.

...and immediately restored into one!

Sorry, wrong hat on....

There's an amusing anecdote that was told to me at a Felder open day by
somebody from a firm consulting in woodworking machinery safety.

He had been asked to give a demonstration of safety techniques in
relation to spindle moulders to a group from the HSE. During the
morning, one young lady kept standing really rather too close and in
the wrong position for safety and was asked several times to stand
further back, all to no avail.

During the lunch break, a carrot was purchased from the local market
and secreted up the sleeve. Upon the next transgression by the young
lady, the carrot was slid deftly into the spindle moulder, whereupon
the latter operated rather like an open plan food processor, spraying
her with shredded carrot.

So yes, a demonstration of consequences does seem to work better than
repeated warnings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 16:55:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

[...]

ordered a finger guard, and a carrot
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:12:19 +0100, John wrote:

You need protection for the hinge side (seen in McDonalds toilets) A
sort of plastic pleated guard.

You on *need* such protection if someone is likley to sue you for a
trapped finger (MacDonalds). Or where people with some disabilty prevents
other measures being effective.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-25 16:55:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-05-25 12:12:41 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

[...]

I hope she was wearing sensible shoes and had her hair in a bun
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-26 11:04:25 +0100, stuart noble said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

A PYT for all I know.

Apparently it was a particularly juicy carrot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-26 11:04:25 +0100, stuart noble
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

The only PYT that ever set foot in my workshop was a VAT inspector. She
perched on a stool among the wood shavings for about 20 minutes, then
made her excuses and left. I offered to dust her down but she declined.
Never had another inspection

Apparently it was a particularly juicy carrot.