Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rotary Compost bins

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ?
The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( £230) , but if they work then I guess thats ok.

Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ?
The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( �230) , but if they work then I guess thats ok.

Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Shouldnt be too hard to build. You can make them self rotating if
you've got a couple of trees nearby. Rope and weight, one over
each end of the bbl, other end tied 2/3 the way up the tree.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 7:55*pm, "Dave" wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ?
The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( £230) , but if they work then I guess thats ok.

Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Bought one form Blackwall a few years ago. Most expensive one they
did. They made great claims for how quick and effective it was.

Useless.

They've now discontinued it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On May 21, 7:55 pm, "Dave" wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ?
The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( £230) , but if they work then I guess thats ok.

Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Bought one form Blackwall a few years ago. Most expensive one they
did. They made great claims for how quick and effective it was.

Useless.

They've now discontinued it.

I have had to suffer my wifes addiction to gardeninf ditz. I told her
'compost is just a pile of stuff left for two years'

after three, she now accepts that you don't need anything: just a space
for a pile, and patience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
mike wrote:
On May 21, 7:55 pm, "Dave" wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of rotary compost bins ?
The ones I've Googled seem a bit pricey ( £230) , but if they work
then I guess thats ok. Anyone built one out of scrap stuff or whatever ?

Cheers for any feedback.

Bought one form Blackwall a few years ago. Most expensive one they
did. They made great claims for how quick and effective it was.

Useless.

They've now discontinued it.

I have had to suffer my wifes addiction to gardeninf ditz. I told her
'compost is just a pile of stuff left for two years'

after three, she now accepts that you don't need anything: just a
space for a pile, and patience.

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll save my money! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 May 2008 07:13:19 +0100 someone who may be "Dave"
wrote this:-

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll save my money! :-)

I would too. A good description from the Interweb thingy is, "The
rotary system - These are cylindrical containers that hold the
material. These cylinders are mounted to a support structure and can
spin thereby aerating the pile inside. It is the most expensive type
out there but requires less effort from the user."

Unless one is frantically busy it should be possible to divert a few
minutes to turning over the compost in a pile or ordinary bin from
time to time.

The money saved would buy quite a few bins and food digesters from
http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/index.html. For some
reason Northern Ireland is excluded from the offers there.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll save my money! :-)

I would too. A good description from the Interweb thingy is, "The
rotary system - These are cylindrical containers that hold the
material. These cylinders are mounted to a support structure and can
spin thereby aerating the pile inside. It is the most expensive type
out there but requires less effort from the user."

Unless one is frantically busy it should be possible to divert a few
minutes to turning over the compost in a pile or ordinary bin from
time to time.

Even that only reduces composting time a little.

Frankly all you need is three somewhat sectioned off areas. feed area
one, leave area two and take from area three, and rotate annually.

If chipping wood and brush, maybe four areas.