Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default woobly toilet seat

Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep
s moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually
starts moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

maxi wrote:

problem is that my toilet seawt keep
s moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually
starts moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

It's no joke. ;-)

The seats with a metal bar that joins the two hinges together seem to
work far better. I have two WCs in the house and both have seats with
bars. Neither has needed tightening in the last three years.

So the answer may be to buy a new toilet seat with a bar or just buy
the hinge set and fit it to your existing seat, if suitable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280226676202

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"maxi" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep s
moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually starts
moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

Take it off and look where the bolts go through the toilet. There will be a
gap, so either
use loads of insulation tape around it or jam bits of wood or plastic in!
That will stop the seat mounting moving. You must be really fat or doing
something
quite unusual to notice that much movement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:56:36 +0100, "Rob" wrote:

"maxi" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep s
moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually starts
moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

Take it off and look where the bolts go through the toilet. There will be a
gap, so either
use loads of insulation tape around it or jam bits of wood or plastic in!
That will stop the seat mounting moving. You must be really fat or doing
something
quite unusual to notice that much movement.

I've got one that has the two downward bolts with plastic securing
nuts and it doesn't move in any way . I got it from bes.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

maxi wrote:
Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep
s moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually
starts moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

I've had this problem, and as has been said some designs are better than
others.

A little silicone on the fittings seemed to help us.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 21:01:25 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

maxi wrote:
Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt
keep s moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it
eventually starts moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

I've had this problem, and as has been said some designs are better than
others.

A little silicone on the fittings seemed to help us.

Andy

I would also try some thread sealant on the screws which hold the hing to
the top disc (it's these that seem to come undone). All in all I'd only
guarantee the long term security of a seat with a bar joining the hinges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:37:06 +0100, maxi wrote:

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

Have the same trouble. The resin/plastic housing that takes the end of the
hinge rod and the head of the bolt down through the pan moves outward
allowing things to slop about. This is on an old loo and the rim of the
bowl is slightly sloped inwards, the seat is new and the bump rubbers are
quite hard and horizontal so they only touch the rim at the outside end.

The loo is placed just a little bit too close to a wall so one tends to
sit at a slight angle. This applies a twisting force to the seat pulling
the one hinge loose. Sufficient force to shear the original plastic hinge
pin, the one in there now won't shear it has a 3 to 4 mm steel rod tightly
fitted down the hole in the middle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"maxi" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Bit of a paint in the bum (bad pun) problem is that my toilet seawt keep s
moving. No matter how tight I do the plastic nut up it eventually starts
moving again.

Its one of those fancy coloured soft plastic ones from argos.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to secure it permanently ?

as it is its like bum snowboarding.

Thanks

I solved this problem by making up some bushes to fill the holes in the pan
so that the threaded rod would not move about

IIRC they were bits of gas bottle pipe inside a piece of garden hose

Tony