Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plastic edging and corners for plywood box construction?

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

B&Q,ect
These will be by the wood beading section?as for corners miter the ends of
the plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

B&Q,ect
These will be by the wood beading section?as for corners miter the ends of
the plastic.

Or is that Mitre. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 01:17:32 -0700, wrote:

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?

==================================
The most likely source is 'plastic extrusions' in your local Yellow Pages,
which will produce something like this:

https://secure.mkmplastics.com/products.php/cat/12

Although these extrusions are readily available I don't think they're
really intended for the kind of job you have in mind (box construction)
because of the difficulty of getting satisfactory fixings although an
adhesive might work for light use.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 09:26, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

B&Q,ect
These will be by the wood beading section?as for corners miter the ends of
the plastic.

Thanks, I just popped over to see what B&Q had and although there are
varous size angled section stuff in plastic and aluminium, they seem
too more useful for covering edges rather than joining them, although
this may do at a pinch.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

That looks to be very close to what I need, thanks. Maybe some square
section timber with rabbets to allow for the plastic, could be glued
to the inside for strengthening purposes. Either that or a similar
section extrusion as the plastic but in aluminium.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 09:17, "
wrote:
Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too.

Corners come from any music / DJ equipment shop, or from Maplin (who
list them, but don't seem to carry them in stock in the shops any
more)

For strip, then I'd look at aluminium for strength. Otherwise just
round the edge of your plywood to avoid catching the sharp edge, maybe
cover it with cabinet cloth.

A biscuit jointer (they're cheap these days) is the quickest and
easiest way to make plywood boxes. A simple router with a roundover
cutter does the edges nicely too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 10:59, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

You want te stuff that the music business uses for flightcases and
equipment boxes..somewhere in Kent.

Yes, that sort of stuff would be very useful.These cases usually have
corner pieces too. I bought a small tool case from Wickes similar to
this a while ago. The only trouble is, it's heavy even with nothing in
the case. lightness combined with strengh would be the ideal for my
current project.

Couldn't find them,but check here

http://www.terralec.co.uk/

Thanks for that.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 11:13, Peter Lynch wrote:
On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:59:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

You want te stuff that the music business uses for flightcases and
equipment boxes..somewhere in Kent.

Couldn't find them,but check here

http://www.terralec.co.uk/

Maplin do these things too. Have a look in the cabinet hardware section
on the website.

--
. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly

Thanks, I looked and didn't see any of the long extrusions there but
there are some nice 3 edge corner pieces that might come in handy.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 11:51, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?

A model (railway, aircraft, boat) type shop. The would probably have
alloy angle too which might do what you need.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Ta, I'll go and have a look in the Yellow Pages.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 12:42, Lobster wrote:
wrote:
On 18 May, 09:26, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi, I know there are often several ways to do anything and my plywood
box is no exception. What I'm trying to find is some sort of tough
plastic strip-like components that can be used to both join and
protect the edges of the sheets of ply, where they meet at right-
angles. Also, if possible corner pieces too. Can anyone tell me where
I can get plastic parts like this?
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
B&Q,ect
These will be by the wood beading section?as for corners miter the ends of
the plastic.

Thanks, I just popped over to see what B&Q had and although there are
varous size angled section stuff in plastic and aluminium, they seem
too more useful for covering edges rather than joining them, although
this may do at a pinch.

I can't think of any fittings for *joining* edges, rather than
protecting them, that you'd fit externally; normally these would be
fitted to the internal corner: there are loads of different types of
those available.

David

The stuff Cicero mentioned and linked to seems close.
https://secure.mkmplastics.com/products.php/cat/12
He does say that this may not be strong enough though.
Maybe if the inner leaves were deeper it would give more surface area
to glue to.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 03:41:11 -0700, wrote:

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

If this is to be a 'labour of love' then you might consider making your
own from fibreglass. I once saw a plywood canoe made by stitching the
plywood sections together with thick copper wire. The joints in the
plywood were then covered with fibreglass strips and resin and the
finished job was sanded down leaving barely a trace of the copper
stitching wire.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

==================================
If this is to be a 'labour of love' then you might consider making your
own from fibreglass. I once saw a plywood canoe made by stitching the
plywood sections together with thick copper wire. The joints in the
plywood were then covered with fibreglass strips and resin and the
finished job was sanded down leaving barely a trace of the copper
stitching wire.

Mirror dinghies were like that.
Never mind that though, I saw an article on bamboo bikes and want to make
one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:56:28 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

==================================
If this is to be a 'labour of love' then you might consider making your
own from fibreglass. I once saw a plywood canoe made by stitching the
plywood sections together with thick copper wire. The joints in the
plywood were then covered with fibreglass strips and resin and the
finished job was sanded down leaving barely a trace of the copper
stitching wire.

Mirror dinghies were like that.
Never mind that though, I saw an article on bamboo bikes and want to make
one.

==================================
I didn't know about the dinghies, and I didn't know if you were serious
about bamboo bikes, but according to Google it's true. Scientists are
trying to produce sustainable bikes for African rural areas. I think they
would get quicker results by dredging our local canals for discarded bikes
and sending them for use in Africa.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

That method would probably produce some pretty strong joints.
Lightness and clean lines are what I need to produce here. What the
box is intended to be is a 4' tall model of a tower case computer with
all the main outward details, like CD drive, floppy drive etc.. I want
the top lidded though, so it can be opened to store and access various
items. I did consider aluminium sheet but that would be quite weighty
if thick enough to be adequately rigid, especially the embossed stuff.
I lifted a sheet at B&Q today and it was surprisingly heavy, compared
with what I'm hoping for.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

If 12mm ply is suitable, I'd use the joining strips from bathroom wall
panels http://www.multipanel.co.uk/productlist.asp?cat=64

The panelling is 11mm, so 12mm would fit with a bit of sanding. The
profiles are aluminium in 3m lengths at about £10 per length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:56:28 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

==================================
[...]

Its true, I really do intend to try it.
I have a rusty old bike that I can take the mechanics off with an angle
grinder, I am waiting for my bamboo to grow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 15:42, "
wrote:
On May 18, 3:28 pm, "

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

The type B corner looks to be just the thing. It would be better if it
was smaller in section to hold thinner ply but I could use packing
pieces with the thinner ply.
--
Regards,
Dick Treen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 4:22 pm, "
wrote:
On 18 May, 15:42, "

wrote:
On May 18, 3:28 pm, "

On 18 May, 10:10, Cicero wrote:
[...]

http://multipanel.co.uk/products.asp?cat=57&hierarchy=0

The tilepanel is only 3mm thick, so you could use the profiles for
that and make the thing from 4mm ply.

Available from bathroom showrooms or plumbers' merchants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May, 11:07, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
On 18 May, 09:26, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

What we sused to do was glue up the (coated) ply, put ally angle over
it,drill through and pop rivet, add corners with screws, and line the
inside with foam.

This, more or less, was always going to be an option and maybe it
would be adequate.
It's just that in my mind's eye I can see the perfect stuff. I can
imagine it but I can't extrude it. :-)
--
Regards,
Dick Treen