Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticking front door

So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem
if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know
what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather thing
(has happened before) and the timber will shrink back again leaving too
large a gap. (Have had this experience before and consequently the
French windows spend all the winter with a large strip of duck tape down
the middle due to the massive gap between the doors).

How is it best to handle a problem like this?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem
if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know what
SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather thing
(has happened before) and the timber will shrink back again leaving too
large a gap. (Have had this experience before and consequently the French
windows spend all the winter with a large strip of duck tape down the
middle due to the massive gap between the doors).

How is it best to handle a problem like this?

David

Are the hinges loose - or worn? If so, then tighten or replace them. Pay
particular attention to the top hinge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster formulated on Saturday :
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem if
you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know what SWMBO
and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather thing (has
happened before) and the timber will shrink back again leaving too large a
gap. (Have had this experience before and consequently the French windows
spend all the winter with a large strip of duck tape down the middle due to
the massive gap between the doors).

How is it best to handle a problem like this?

If it is a tiny amount, rub a candle along the bit where it is
sticking.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem
if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know
what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

If it opens easily by lifting, means either the hinges are worn/loose, or
the door or frame is moving in another way?

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather thing
(has happened before) and the timber will shrink back again leaving too
large a gap. (Have had this experience before and consequently the
French windows spend all the winter with a large strip of duck tape down
the middle due to the massive gap between the doors).

I'm surprised you're having this trouble now. All my seasonally sticking
doors are free. ;-)

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem
if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know
what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

If it opens easily by lifting, means either the hinges are worn/loose, or
the door or frame is moving in another way?

Really don't think so... I can't detect any play in the hinges or
movement in the frame etc - which I appreciate contradicts the
observation that applying 'lift' to the handle helps it open normally!
Must be an imperceptible amount - maybe a mere mm lift at the opening
end is enough?

Think I'll give Harry's candle a whirl...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Lobster formulated on Saturday :
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the
bottom, directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it
without problem if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you
pull, but you know what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I am very loathe to take a plane to it, as I'm sure it's a weather
thing (has happened before) and the timber will shrink back again
leaving too large a gap. (Have had this experience before and
consequently the French windows spend all the winter with a large
strip of duck tape down the middle due to the massive gap between the
doors).

How is it best to handle a problem like this?

If it is a tiny amount, rub a candle along the bit where it is sticking.

Well that seems to have done the trick nicely, thanks! We'll see how
long it lasts; maybe I need to keep a candle on the windowsill by the
door...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote on 10/05/2008 :
Think I'll give Harry's candle a whirl...

You leave my candle alone, get your own :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the
bottom, directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it
without problem if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you
pull, but you know what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

Sounds very much like a dropped top hinge to me, check screws on door &
frame.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

PS Thinking further on this, the problem is probably exacerbated by wife
and kids as the door handle is quite high, so there will be a natural
tendency for them to pull in a slightly downwards direction anyway, when
they open the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Two options here, wait for kids to grow & replace wife with taller model -
or, remove screws holding top hinge to frame - you might even find some
cardboard packing, if so remove it. If not shave a little away with a sharp
chisel to deepen rebate, plug screw holes with matchsticks & screw hinge
back.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

Lobster wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

You may also find that the hinge has worn and has allowed the door to drop.
If it doesn't stick when you lift it then it implies there must be some play
somewhere - hinges or wood joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
So the front door (ancient timber one) is sticking a bit at the bottom,
directly below the latch. Perfectly possible to open it without problem
if you apply a bit of lift to the handle when you pull, but you know
what SWMBO and kids are like.

Something Must Be Done.

I've just dealt with a door with exactly this problem. There was a
large enough gap on the latch side that a couple of thicknesses of card
between the lower hinge and its frame rebate lifted the dragging corner
without causing it to foul elsewhere.

This door is around 70 years old, and appears to have its original
hinges. The lower one has some wear, but I reckon it will see me out if
I keep it oiled.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****