Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reduced hot water pressure

Having just fitted a new bathroom, I now find that the hot water flow rate
is about half as it used to be, what could have caused that?

System is a standard boiler with hot water storage cylinder. Pipe work for
bath is 22mm, washbasin is 15mm.
Pipe work is virtually unchanged from previous setup, save for the inclusion
of isolating valves.
Taps are connected with flexible hoses and I have checked those for eventual
kinks, their fine.
Had to drain the system to make the connection and the drop in pressure has
happened since then.

Any suggestions of what could be the course and solution would be much
appreciated.

Henk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Henk" wrote in message
Having just fitted a new bathroom, I now find that the hot water flow rate
is about half as it used to be, what could have caused that?

System is a standard boiler with hot water storage cylinder. Pipe work for
bath is 22mm, washbasin is 15mm.
Pipe work is virtually unchanged from previous setup, save for the
inclusion of isolating valves.
Taps are connected with flexible hoses and I have checked those for
eventual kinks, their fine.
Had to drain the system to make the connection and the drop in pressure
has happened since then.

Any suggestions of what could be the course and solution would be much
appreciated.

An expert will doubtless be along shortly but I would suspect reduced flow
through the isolating valve or a partial blockage due to crap being
disturbed when draining down

Connect a length of hose from the cold tap to the hot and turn on both to
reverse flush the hot
this may remove any crap

Tony

Henk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Henk wrote:
Having just fitted a new bathroom, I now find that the hot water flow
rate is about half as it used to be, what could have caused that?

System is a standard boiler with hot water storage cylinder. Pipe work
for bath is 22mm, washbasin is 15mm. Pipe work is virtually unchanged
from previous setup, save for the inclusion of isolating valves. Taps
are connected with flexible hoses and I have checked those for eventual
kinks, their fine. Had to drain the system to make the connection and
the drop in pressure has happened since then.

Any suggestions of what could be the course and solution would be much
appreciated.

Almost certainly the taps. Pretty well all these days are imported from
countries where low pressure storage systems are unknown. You can probably
still get taps designed for low pressure - but the choice is likely
limited. So probably not the style you want.

The easy answer is a pump.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Henk" wrote in message
Having just fitted a new bathroom, I now find that the hot water flow rate
is about half as it used to be, what could have caused that?

System is a standard boiler with hot water storage cylinder. Pipe work for
bath is 22mm, washbasin is 15mm.
Pipe work is virtually unchanged from previous setup, save for the
inclusion of isolating valves.
Taps are connected with flexible hoses and I have checked those for
eventual kinks, their fine.
Had to drain the system to make the connection and the drop in pressure
has happened since then.

Any suggestions of what could be the course and solution would be much
appreciated.

Either isolating valves not being full bore or foriegn made taps that expect
high pressure water.

I have never fitted isolating valves on bath taps as :-
- I have never ever needed to change washers on bath taps. I assume as used
much less than say sink taps don't wear out.
- Can seriously reduce flow (at least in my last house they did) as there
weren't full bore. Careful most isolating valves in the sheds are not 22mm
full bore, most proper plumbers merchants can get them about £4 each.
- Always fitted quarter turn cermic disk taps, which can last for ever, thus
don't need isolating.
- In my current house to isolate water to bath taps, just close the
"bathroom cold feed" and "hot tank feed" gate valves in airing cupbaord,
open hot & cold taps in downstairs loo to releive pressure and suddenly
there is no water in the pipes to the bath !!!

When we were getting quotes for our bathroom, every quote wanted to tap into
the HP pumped shower feed for the bath taps as they all seem incapable of
selecting and buying low perssure bath taps. Anyway the new bath mixers taps
in my bathroom were available in both HP and LP versions the HP one being
identical except having flow reducers in the pipes !!!