Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving boiler

Hi group.
Is there any reason why I should or could not move my GCH Boiler to
the loft?
It is on a closed loop system.

I think the biggest piece of work would be getting the gas mains run
up to the loft. The CH and HW flow/return are already within a few
meters of where I'd like to put it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 May 2008 08:31:19 -0700, kenny.millar wrote:

Hi group.
Is there any reason why I should or could not move my GCH Boiler to the
loft?
It is on a closed loop system.

I think the biggest piece of work would be getting the gas mains run up
to the loft. The CH and HW flow/return are already within a few meters
of where I'd like to put it.

We could really do with a FAQ on moving the boiler to the loft.
There are several issues non of which are necessarily show stoppers.

Safe and reasonable access for servicing.
Remote isolation.
And is the boiler good enough to be worth reinstalling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
writes
Hi group.
Is there any reason why I should or could not move my GCH Boiler to
the loft?
It is on a closed loop system.

I think the biggest piece of work would be getting the gas mains run
up to the loft. The CH and HW flow/return are already within a few
meters of where I'd like to put it.

Depending on where you live you may have problems break-ins by
hooligans:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...y&method=full&
objectid=20484259&siteid=50061-name_page.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

A MUM-TO-BE today told how police smashed their way into her Merseyside
home €“ expecting to find a cannabis farm.

It appears sophisticated computer equipment aboard the force helicopter
detected an unusual heat source coming from the roof of the house.

But a quick search of the property revealed it was coming from an
uninsulated boiler located in the loft.
/Q
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Ed Sirett contains these words:

We could really do with a FAQ on moving the boiler to the loft.
There are several issues non of which are necessarily show stoppers.

Safe and reasonable access for servicing.
Remote isolation.
And is the boiler good enough to be worth reinstalling.

Doesn't it also require building regs approval these days (like just
about everything else)?

--
Roger Chapman
Nearest Marilyn still to be visited - Great Orme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

“Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

“My partner went downstairs and they pushed him face down onto the
couch.

“They went straight to the loft but soon realised there was nothing
there and they had made a mistake.

“They just tried to make a joke about it and when we asked about the
damage they said ‘you may get money back, but we can’t guarantee
it’.

“They could have handled this much better. They made a mistake and
yet we have to pick up the pieces and pay for the damage.”

That shows the contempt in which the police hold the people they
claim to be protecting.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said: “We would like to apologise for
any distress the occupants experienced.

Ah, the spokesman would like to apologise, but did not do so. Why is
it so difficult for officials to apologise?

“Drug raids obviously involve an element of covert and tactical
policing

Is this newspeak for the threatening words and behaviour described
earlier in the article?

The spokesman said the couple could apply to the force to claim
compensation for the damage caused to their door.

That shows the contempt in which the police hold the people they
claim to be protecting. In such a situation an organisation with an
ounce of intelligence would have offered to take care of the damage
they caused within an hour of causing the damage.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 May 2008 22:56:56 +0100, Roger wrote:

The message from Ed Sirett
contains these words:

We could really do with a FAQ on moving the boiler to the loft. There
are several issues non of which are necessarily show stoppers.

Safe and reasonable access for servicing. Remote isolation.
And is the boiler good enough to be worth reinstalling.

Doesn't it also require building regs approval these days (like just
about everything else)?

Yes , see the boiler choice FAQ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May, 18:40, Ed Sirett wrote:

We could really do with a FAQ on moving the boiler to the loft.
There are several issues non of which are necessarily show stoppers.

AIUI moving a boiler counts as re-installing it and is subject to the
same criteria as replacing it i.e. it (practically) has to be
condensing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[reposted from ntl^H^H^Hvirginontheridiculous rather than google since
many folks will have killfiled anything from google]

On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:40:14 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

We could really do with a FAQ on moving the boiler to the loft.
There are several issues non of which are necessarily show stoppers.

AIUI moving a boiler counts as re-installing it and is subject to the
same criteria as replacing it i.e. it (practically) has to be
condensing.

--
John Stumbles

Seagull Management
Management technique characterised by flying in, making a lot of noise,
crapping on everything, and then leaving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any house,
without any attempt at courtesy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any house,
without any attempt at courtesy.

They should ring the bell or knock on the door and wait 3 seconds before
smashing the door down

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-12 20:02:16 +0100, "ARWadworth"

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any
house, without any attempt at courtesy.

They should ring the bell or knock on the door and wait 3 seconds
before smashing the door down

Adam

You could pipe hot air into your neighbour's loft and then tip off the
fuzz.... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-12 20:02:16 +0100, "ARWadworth"

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any
house, without any attempt at courtesy.

They should ring the bell or knock on the door and wait 3 seconds before
smashing the door down

Adam

You could pipe hot air into your neighbour's loft and then tip off the
fuzz.... :-)

Tempting. I bet half a brick down their chimney would be more fun. They
still use a coal fire.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-13 22:36:27 +0100, "ARWadworth"

On 2008-05-12 20:02:16 +0100, "ARWadworth"

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any
house, without any attempt at courtesy.

They should ring the bell or knock on the door and wait 3 seconds
before smashing the door down

Adam

You could pipe hot air into your neighbour's loft and then tip off the
fuzz.... :-)

Tempting. I bet half a brick down their chimney would be more fun. They
still use a coal fire.

Adam

I see.

Kept in the bath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-13 22:36:27 +0100, "ARWadworth"

On 2008-05-12 20:02:16 +0100, "ARWadworth"

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:32:49 GMT someone who may be fred
quoted this:-

http://tinyurl.com/3stz2w

"Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed
in riot gear with guns running about the house.

Absolutely outrageous - now seems to be the norm to smash into any
house, without any attempt at courtesy.

They should ring the bell or knock on the door and wait 3 seconds
before smashing the door down

Adam

You could pipe hot air into your neighbour's loft and then tip off the
fuzz.... :-)

Tempting. I bet half a brick down their chimney would be more fun. They
still use a coal fire.

Adam

I see.

Kept in the bath?

That is something I have not seen since I was a child.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 19:20:20 +0100, "ARWadworth"
said:

Tempting. I bet half a brick down their chimney would be more fun. They
still use a coal fire.

Adam

I see.

Kept in the bath?

That is something I have not seen since I was a child.

Adam

You could have some mild amusement from the thought that this is how
they may well behave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 19:20:20 +0100, "ARWadworth"
said:

Tempting. I bet half a brick down their chimney would be more fun. They
still use a coal fire.

Adam

I see.

Kept in the bath?

That is something I have not seen since I was a child.

Adam

You could have some mild amusement from the thought that this is how they
may well behave

'Fraid not. Their coal is kept in the coal house. She fetches it in every
day.

I guess that they are actually burning coke (fuel not drugs). The last real
coal I saw was when I dug the trench for my new water supply. I actually
saved the bit I dug out. It was from a seam that showed on British Coal's
records. At 5cm thick I am sure that it was not worth mining!

ot-ish Moving a boiler Mogga UK diy 4 April 15th 07 08:38 PM
Moving a back boiler Jo UK diy 12 October 9th 06 07:39 PM
Moving non-condensing boiler -it can it be done :) [email protected] UK diy 4 March 7th 06 04:37 PM
Moving non-condensing boiler -can it be done? [email protected] UK diy 14 February 1st 06 03:49 PM