Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic pipework

My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

It is very common nowadays, I personally don't trust the stuff, but I
might be using it myself on a new kitchen/bathroom and central
heating. I will be looking to keep the joins to a minimum - because
that's where i don't trust it to last - the joints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ianw writes:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?

Pretty much so.

Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

I still use soldered copper myself.
It's often still used where exposed -- more robust.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

I would have expected white plastic but plastic is fine.
Some will argue that the joints don't last but there is no reason they
shouldn't, they use the same sort of joints as the underground supply pipes
do these days and they are reliable.
Even if copper is used the plumbers will frequently use push fit joints as
its quick and easy and they are quite cheap compared to the time in getting
a blow torch out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freepo" wrote in message
On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

It is very common nowadays, I personally don't trust the stuff, but I
might be using it myself on a new kitchen/bathroom and central
heating. I will be looking to keep the joins to a minimum - because
that's where i don't trust it to last - the joints.

Ah, but you have more joints in copper, whereas with flexible pipe you can
thread it through under the floorboards with a minimum of joins if any; make
and remake the joins as often as you like without any nasty olives; not risk
setting fire to the place; not need spanners; etc. etc.

No contest!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?

Seems to be at the bottom end.

Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

You'd probably have to pay extra - but for a better job.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

Why is it of any interest to you? Unless you went in saying, "that's wrong"
and look a bit
of a fool. Yes you can use plastic pipes, with push fit connectors they are
easier to install
and a lot faster. No soldering and no corrosion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

Why is it of any interest to you? Unless you went in saying, "that's
wrong" and look a bit
of a fool. Yes you can use plastic pipes, with push fit connectors they
are easier to install
and a lot faster. No soldering and no corrosion.

And a lot more failures too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Rob" wrote in message

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

Why is it of any interest to you? Unless you went in saying, "that's
wrong" and look a bit
of a fool. Yes you can use plastic pipes, with push fit connectors
they are easier to install
and a lot faster. No soldering and no corrosion.

And a lot more failures too.

Especially when you use a hacksaw, against manufacturers recommendations

geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message
om...

"freepo" wrote in message
On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

It is very common nowadays, I personally don't trust the stuff, but I
might be using it myself on a new kitchen/bathroom and central
heating. I will be looking to keep the joins to a minimum - because
that's where i don't trust it to last - the joints.

Ah, but you have more joints in copper, whereas with flexible pipe you can
thread it through under the floorboards with a minimum of joins if any;
make and remake the joins as often as you like without any nasty olives;
not risk setting fire to the place; not need spanners; etc. etc.

No contest!

I have a problem with plastic pipework in that when the need arises to drill
a wall for a shelf etc. the plastic pipe will not register on ANY detector
but the pipe will still make as much mess if drilled. Why have we gone down
this route (apart from cost issues on installation times)?

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"spamlet" wrote in message
om...

"freepo" wrote in message
On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
[...]

stick some aluminum tape down it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
I have a problem with plastic pipework in that when the need arises to
drill a wall for a shelf etc. the plastic pipe will not register on ANY
detector but the pipe will still make as much mess if drilled. Why
have we gone down this route (apart from cost issues on installation
times)?

You have it in one - it's quicker and cheaper. No other benefits.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"spamlet" wrote in message
om...

"freepo" wrote in message
On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
[...]

I hate any type of pipes buried in the walls. I would rather see a nice tidy
bit of boxing round pipes and this of course makes it easier to get to them.
OK, you say, but I don't want boxing in my living room... Once you get used
to it you'll not even realise that it is there.
James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.
Thanks for all the input.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"Rob" wrote in message

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

Why is it of any interest to you? Unless you went in saying, "that's
wrong" and look a bit
of a fool. Yes you can use plastic pipes, with push fit connectors they
are easier to install
and a lot faster. No soldering and no corrosion.

And a lot more failures too.

Especially when you use a hacksaw, against manufacturers recommendations

Maxie, I bet you used a hacksaw on your diddly-dee banjo. I bet it improved
the Paddy band no end. Fantastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.

Copper is only six times the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.

Copper is only six times the price.

It's slightly different when you include the cost of the fittings -
assuming push fit for plastic and end feed for copper.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2008 06:16:37 -0700, freepo wrote:

On May 5, 2:01 pm, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe. Is this
standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

It is very common nowadays, I personally don't trust the stuff, but I
might be using it myself on a new kitchen/bathroom and central heating.
I will be looking to keep the joins to a minimum - because that's where
i don't trust it to last - the joints.

Used sensibly, out of sight, and in accordance with the makers
instructions you'll have no problems.

The most common faults by far and away are not pushing the pipe fully
home. If you mark the pipe with the correct insertion depth then the
joints are at least as reliable as soldering and their long term
prospects are far better than compression joints.

Always use the correct end ferrules for the pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:01:53 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe. Is this
standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.

Copper is only six times the price.

I bought a 25m real of PB (grey) pipe for about £25 quid last week.
I'd pay about £47 for 30m of Cu. That's not even 2:1.
It's the installation time that is the clincher.

I hate the (usually) white PEX plastic pipe. It is just to stiff to be a
big advantage over copper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

The most common faults by far and away are not pushing the pipe fully
home. If you mark the pipe with the correct insertion depth then the
joints are at least as reliable as soldering and their long term
prospects are far better than compression joints.

What world are you in? The grab ring disintegrating is more common that
what you think. Plastic pipes with brass compression joints is the best
jointing for plastic pipes. The only proviso is that there must be enough
slack in the plastic to cope for expansion as the expansion may pull the
pipe out of the joints and olive.

To come out wit that comment I question your experience in plastics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just old fashioned I am sorry to say.

My brother who has been a house designer/site manager has used/specified
plastic since the 80's. Mainly due to cost and speed of installation.

He checked my houses plumbing when bought in 2000 and follows standard
industry practice and mixing plastic (Osmagold) and copper as necessary.

Basically
- Boiler circuit pipes and pipes from hot tank to loft are all copper. This
is as if the boiler faults and starts boiling water the copper can cope,
whereas plastic is not usually rated above 95°C (?).
- All cold water pipes are plastic (except near the hot supplies in airing
cupboard and loft, for reason above).
- All pipes leaving the airing cupboard, hot water and central heating
change to plastic before going through the floor.
- Pipes visible where they might be physically knocked ie radiator tails,
tap supplies, cistern supplies are copper. Paint also adheres to copper
better than plastic.
- Barrier plastic pipe has been used. Early plastic pipe installation (in
90's) suffered from severe corrosion in the CH circuit, despite use of
inhibiter. Caused by oxygen diffusing through the plastic. Cured by use of
barrier pipe. In fact it is getting hard to not buy barrier pipe nowadays,
the Osma non-barrier stuff is special order only. All plastic piping I have
fitted for the last 10 years odd had been barrier pipe.

Ian

"ianw" wrote in message
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.

Copper is only six times the price.

It's slightly different when you include the cost of the fittings -
assuming push fit for plastic and end feed for copper.

True you do need more fittings for copper and that will push up the cost,
but six is as good as seven in this case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I have a problem with plastic pipework in that when the need arises to
drill a wall for a shelf etc. the plastic pipe will not register on ANY
detector but the pipe will still make as much mess if drilled. Why
have we gone down this route (apart from cost issues on installation
times)?

You have it in one - it's quicker and cheaper. No other benefits.

Two more benefits

1) Pikeys cannot pinch it and weigh it in.

2) You can get the plastic pipe into places you cannot get copper pipe.

As for cost, plastic is only cheaper due to the labour charges saved when
you pay someone to fit it for you. Plastic fittings are still too expensive
to make it a cheaper option for a DIYer who pays no labour charges and is
capable of doing a solder joint.

One big disadvantage of plastic fittings are their size. They are bloodly
ugly if on view and you also need a deeper notch on the joists to fit them
under floorboards.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
My neighbour is currently having their bathroom refitted by a local
company
The hot and cold water is being plumbed in grey plastic pipe.
Is this standard practice nowadays?
Am I just old fashioned expecting copper?

Thanks.

After a chat with the plumber it seems the cost of copper is the
clincher currently.

Copper is only six times the price.

It's slightly different when you include the cost of the fittings -
assuming push fit for plastic and end feed for copper.

True you do need more fittings for copper and that will push up the cost,
but six is as good as seven in this case.

Screwfix prices

30m 15mm Copper pipe £56.97

30m 15mm JG Barrier pipe £21.99

That is about 2.6 to 1 in cost

But it is £9.97 for a 10 pack of 15mm JC elbows and only £3.60 for 10 copper
elbows. That is a 2.77 to 1 cost ratio.

On a CH system you usually need more connectors than metres of pipework.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

The most common faults by far and away are not pushing the pipe fully
home. If you mark the pipe with the correct insertion depth then the
joints are at least as reliable as soldering and their long term
prospects are far better than compression joints.

What world are you in? The grab ring disintegrating is more common that
what you think. Plastic pipes with brass compression joints is the best
jointing for plastic pipes. The only proviso is that there must be enough
slack in the plastic to cope for expansion as the expansion may pull the
pipe out of the joints and olive.

I see you are still confusing expansion with contraction. Expansion cannot
cause the problem you quote, just an unsightly if visible sagging of the
pipe which actually reduces tension. For an joint made at ambient there
will not be enough contraction to cause the problem you describe.

To come out wit that comment I question your experience in plastics.

Yep

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

om...

dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
[...]

That's because you haven't done one in plastic.. one connector at each end
of two pipes to each rad, little more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Copper is only six times the price.

It's slightly different when you include the cost of the fittings -
assuming push fit for plastic and end feed for copper.

True you do need more fittings for copper and that will push up the
cost, but six is as good as seven in this case.

Not actually what I meant. You can by several end feed copper fittings for
the price of one push fit.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadworth wrote:
You have it in one - it's quicker and cheaper. No other benefits.

Two more benefits

1) Pikeys cannot pinch it and weigh it in.

I'd say if they have access to your house the copper may not be the first
thing to worry about.

2) You can get the plastic pipe into places you cannot get copper pipe.

I have no pipes showing anywhere here - apart from obviously tails - so
I'd say that isn't a real benefit.

As for cost, plastic is only cheaper due to the labour charges saved
when you pay someone to fit it for you. Plastic fittings are still too
expensive to make it a cheaper option for a DIYer who pays no labour
charges and is capable of doing a solder joint.

I haven't bought any copper tube recently but I'd guess the differential
has increased. Cable I bought cost twice as much as I remembered.

One big disadvantage of plastic fittings are their size. They are
bloodly ugly if on view and you also need a deeper notch on the joists
to fit them under floorboards.

Indeed. They rarely look as good as carefully bent copper either where
this is on show. Nor do they help support flimsy sinks etc where they go
to the taps like copper can.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
On a CH system you usually need more connectors than metres of
pipework.

That's because you haven't done one in plastic.. one connector at each
end of two pipes to each rad, little more.

Think single pipe systems are out of fashion these days...

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"ianw" wrote in message
On 5 May, 14:01, ianw wrote:
[...]

With a comment like that, it shows who has not installed a full CH system,
plastic or otherwise.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:41:13 +0100, John wrote:

I have a problem with plastic pipework in that when the need arises to
drill a wall for a shelf etc. the plastic pipe will not register on ANY
detector but the pipe will still make as much mess if drilled. Why have
we gone down this route (apart from cost issues on installation times)?

Current recommendation - may even be a regulation - is that plastic pipes
buried in chases should/must have a metallic tracer tape laid over them so
they can be picked up by metal detectors.

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On a CH system you usually need more connectors than metres of
pipework.

That's because you haven't done one in plastic.. one connector at each
end of two pipes to each rad, little more.

Think single pipe systems are out of fashion these days...

Where did I mention single pipe?

With only one connector at each end of the two pipes to each rad that's
what it suggests.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

For an joint made at ambient there will not be enough contraction to
cause the problem you describe.

Strange in that I have seen a few pull slightly out of the fitting and off
the olive. As I say make sure there is enough slack. Don't put plastic
where it is on show anyhow. Always out of sight so slack can be
accommodated. You must stop making things up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 6 May,
Ed Sirett wrote:

I bought a 25m real of PB (grey) pipe for about £25 quid last week.
I'd pay about £47 for 30m of Cu. That's not even 2:1.
It's the installation time that is the clincher.

I hate the (usually) white PEX plastic pipe. It is just to stiff to be a
big advantage over copper.

Is there any good reason why (blue) MDPE can't be used for indoor cold
water
services, apart from appearance? It's even cheaper, more flexible and
seems
to work well out of sight.

It can't be used when exposed to light. Use the black version which can be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On a CH system you usually need more connectors than metres of
pipework.

That's because you haven't done one in plastic.. one connector at each
end of two pipes to each rad, little more.

Think single pipe systems are out of fashion these days...

Where did I mention single pipe?

With only one connector at each end of the two pipes to each rad that's
what it suggests.

To someone that has done a heating system it would suggest a rad and a
manifold.