Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Velux blinds advice

Hi,

I'm after some helpful advice on velux window blinds for our new, south
facing kitchen extension. We have 4 veluxes in a 40sq. m. extension -
built into a sloping (not flat) roof in the (single-storey) extension.

We're just not sure how hot it's is going get be in this room and to
what degree Velux blinds can help us keep the heat down. There seem to
be 3 options:

1) 'Awning blinds', which are fitted to the outside of the windows.
The benefits seem to be:
- Out of sight when not in use
- Diffused light when in use
- Keeps the sun off the glass, because it's outside. Therefore
potentially helpful in preventing heat incursion.

But persumably does nothing for heat retention during the winter!

2) Blackout blinds
Apparently these have an aluminium backing which helps to keep out heat
but which also helps to keep heat in (in winter).

Velux aren't very helpful in explaining which of (1) and (2) are best
for keeping the heat down in summer. And how much difference the ali
backing in (2) is for winter.

3) Standard roller blinds
Presumably the least effective at anything other than cutting out
strong sunlight.

If you have knowledge or experience on these things, please post! As
otherwise it will be a coin-toss between (1) and (2). (Or (1), as it's
cheaper than (2)!)

Many thanks!

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Boulton" wrote in message
news:mn.13c97d8570c46263.89290@datanospamperceptio ns.co.uk...
[...]

We have Velux "Venetian" blinds on our 5 Velux windows in our loft
conversion.

A few comments:

- they have one side that is supposedly heat reflecting. Can't say I've
noticed any great effect - we keep them all closed most of the time. I think
in our loft there are lots of other places for heat to come in. e.g. today
it was 35degC up here when I got home from work.

- they are very well made and fitting was a pleasure - of course they are
specifically designed for the particular window sizes so that must help. Not
sure how the roller and other blind types fit, but would certainly recommend
the Venetian types for a good and easy fit.

- we ordered ours online from www.newblinds.co.uk This was about 6 years ago
so can't comment on up to date comparison, but at the time they had great
prices and quick delivery.

Good luck!

Simon.

Velux Windows Bitstreams UK diy 8 November 15th 07 10:18 AM
Bali Vertical Blinds vs. Graber Vertical Blinds (Vynil) - which one is better? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 30th 06 08:20 PM
Velux window Rich UK diy 2 July 22nd 05 07:17 PM
Advice Please: Blinds For Keeping A Room Dark [email protected] Home Ownership 17 July 20th 05 11:24 PM
Roller blinds for velux windows Nick Atty UK diy 0 June 21st 05 10:54 PM