Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Advice Please: Blinds For Keeping A Room Dark

I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

Is there a particular name of a blind that I should be asking about at
a store that sells things along these lines?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Don K

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

Is there a particular name of a blind that I should be asking about at
a store that sells things along these lines?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Room darkening roller shades would be the cheapest way to go. You could
also add heavy curtains around the edges and a valance at the top
to minimize indirect light leakage.

Also heavy vinyl vertical blinds are effective. The slats should
be curved so that they close tightly on each other with no gaps.

You can probably get this stuff at Home Depot or Walmart. Or you
can go to a boutique-type store and pay double or triple.

Don

Logan Shaw

I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

If you want the best performance, what you want is blackout curtains
like a theater house would use. (Googling turned up a few useful
leads on that.)

If you want to go ghetto, get some big pieces of corrugated cardboard
and cover them with aluminum foil, which can be affixed with tape.
This looks really ugly in your window, so if you are concerned about
aesthetics, you could cover it with an outer layer of something white
(butcher paper? cloth?).

If you want something relatively economical and easy, and yet not
ugly, Home Depot has vinyl shades. They will custom cut them to
the width you need, and in my case it was easy to install the shade
behind the blinds, so that when I want maximum light blockage, I
pull down the shade and lower the blind. And it's a nice off-white
color that the apartment management probably doesn't even notice.

In most cases, one of the problems you're going to run into is
that even if you have a totally opaque (or totally reflective)
material, there will be cracks and seams where it doesn't mate
to the window very tightly. Once you've got a material that
really blocks light well, you're going to find that your eyes
adjust to the dark well and you see the border around the window
where the blind or shade or whatever doesn't quite meet the edge
of the window, and most of the light will come through that part.

I suppose if you really want perfection, you should probably build
yourself a set of shutters that fit very snugly to the window. Also,
I expect exterior rolling overhead steel doors are quite effective...

- Logan

C. Massey

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

Is there a particular name of a blind that I should be asking about at
a store that sells things along these lines?

I moved into an apartment years ago and the management knew that I worked
nights.

Normally you had the choice there of having mini blinds or curtains. Because
they were really nice people, they installed both in my bedroom. This kept
out most of the light, except for a couple of lines of sunshine that would
shine on the wall. I had some old sheets that where black and white striped,
so I got my staple gun and hung the sheet in between the mini blinds and the
curtains. You couldn't see the sheet from either side and now the room was
so dark that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face during the
middle of the day!

Now I have worked nights so many years, I can sleep any time, anywhere and
any amount of noise...

ivan

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

Is there a particular name of a blind that I should be asking about at
a store that sells things along these lines?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I wanted a very dark room to sleep and had a hard time getting the results I
wanted so I bought this from Brookstones and it works great.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...AV&prodtemp=t1

val189

I used to visit someone who put me in an easterly facing bedroom with
sheer curtains - ack - I finally learned to travel with a black shower
curtaina nd some clippie type clothespins. The hostess never knew and
the price was sure right.

There are room darkening curtains with a rubbery backing, prob.
available and Linens 'n' Things.

G Henslee

val189 wrote:
I used to visit someone who put me in an easterly facing bedroom with
sheer curtains - ack - I finally learned to travel with a black shower
curtaina nd some clippie type clothespins. The hostess never knew and
the price was sure right.

Maybe the hostess was trying to tell you something.

Barbara Bomberger

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:26:14 GMT, Logan Shaw
wrote:

In most cases, one of the problems you're going to run into is
that even if you have a totally opaque (or totally reflective)
material, there will be cracks and seams where it doesn't mate
to the window very tightly. Once you've got a material that
really blocks light well, you're going to find that your eyes
adjust to the dark well and you see the border around the window
where the blind or shade or whatever doesn't quite meet the edge
of the window, and most of the light will come through that part.

I suppose if you really want perfection, you should probably build
yourself a set of shutters that fit very snugly to the window. Also,
I expect exterior rolling overhead steel doors are quite effective...

- Logan

Explore the option of "rolladed" or rolling shutters, as we have in
Germany and many other countries have. I know there are places in the
nus that make them.

Not only do they completely darken a room when completely closed, they
also are great insulators.

Barb

Bock

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

In article
.com
, says...
I need blinds that wwould stop as much light as possible from entering
a room, and was hoping someone here could tell me what to look for.(I
assume that curtains can only do so much).

Is there a particular name of a blind that I should be asking about at
a store that sells things along these lines?

Maybe try a camping store. Get some "space blankets."
Then punch holes, perhaps with a tool for grommets
(those metal rings in the lace-holes of shoes.) Then
use cheap screw-in cuphooks in the wall, to hold it up.
Be sure that the space blankets are hung a few inches
wider then the windows.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Well, you haven't indicated how dark you want it. No light or little
light. No light is easy. Use internal shutters or make a cardboard or
wooden insert that fits snugly against the windows letting in no light
and put
curtain fabric on the outside or both sides. Some materials, wools,
jean material is quite thick and doubled
and hung against a wondow would permit no light and ensure the room is
dark.

pj

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/productlist.
aspx?
CatTyp=DEP&DeptID=25437&Dep=Window&PCatID=28417&PC at=Blinds-shades&CatID=28522
&Cat=Energy+Saving&RefPageName=

In2.coIn article ,
wrote:
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

In article
.com
,
says...
[...]

pj

Roc-Lon® TLC Blackout Liner

TLC means total light control, to give you the ultimate sleeping environmen
Patented magnetic closing system helps block out light
Helps to reduce outside noise
Provides extra privacy
Adds a layer of insulation
Ideal for light sleepers and day sleepers
A soft fabric liner that you can add to your existing draperies. Unique
magnetic strips snap closed to block out light. Treated with three layers of
acrylic foam; two white coats and one black coat. Fabric loops slip over
drapery hooks for easy hanging, no additional rod required. Polyester/cotton.
Washable. USA.

n article ,