Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Velux Windows

I'm having a Velux window installed as part of some roofing work soon
and the roofer has asked me to buy it.

The Velux catalogue is pretty straightforward, but they don't sell
direct. So..

1) Does anyone know if there's an approved dealer network. I'd rather
not just pick an advert out of Google. Alternatively has anyone bought
one from a supplier they'd recommend. The Velux website amazingly
doesn't have a phone number.

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area. Do I need permission to fit it? (and I am putting
in obscured glass, before you point out the problems of being
overlooked).

3) I was thinking of pushing the boat out and getting an electric one
with rain sensitive whatsits etc.. anyone got one of these.

4) Is Velux the best brand - anything else I should be considering?

thanks

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Velux is by far the best. Unless you have an account with a builders, or
roofing supplies, then youll get one from B&Q. But you will have to order
it, if you want obscured glass and electric opperated. Make sure you get the
correct flahing kit for slate EDL. Havent you asked the roofing guy where to
get one from.?
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bitstreams wrote:

1) Does anyone know if there's an approved dealer network. I'd rather
not just pick an advert out of Google. Alternatively has anyone bought
one from a supplier they'd recommend. The Velux website amazingly
doesn't have a phone number.

Not that I know of. I'd just go for the best deal you can find - it
will be the same item whereever you get it from.

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area. Do I need permission to fit it? (and I am putting
in obscured glass, before you point out the problems of being
overlooked).

You might need planning permission, especially if it's overlooking the
street. You should check with your local council planning dept, as
rules vary considerably.

AFAIK a roof window doesn't come under the same rules as ordinary
windows - for which you'd need a FENSA certificate or building regs
approval - does anyone know for sure? But if so, then that's another
hoop for you to jump through.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bitstreams" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm having a Velux window installed as part of some roofing work soon
and the roofer has asked me to buy it.

The Velux catalogue is pretty straightforward, but they don't sell
direct. So..

1) Does anyone know if there's an approved dealer network. I'd rather
not just pick an advert out of Google.

why not, its the same product in the same box packed in the same factory?
Go for the best price you can find.

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area.

You need to decide whether you want EDL or EDN flashing and middle or top
hung opening.

Do I need permission to fit it?

Probably not but if in doubt ask your planning dept.

(and I am putting
in obscured glass, before you point out the problems of being
overlooked).

You may find that the roof window isn't as vulnerable to overlooking the
action as you fear. If it is, plain glass and a velux blind may suffice.

3) I was thinking of pushing the boat out and getting an electric one
with rain sensitive whatsits etc.. anyone got one of these.

bit of overkill for obscure glass in a bathroom.

4) Is Velux the best brand

Yes

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:07:04 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area.

You need to decide whether you want EDL or EDN flashing and middle or top
hung opening.

Go for top hung rather than middle hung then you can

- get out in an emergency
- look out of the window without being hit....if its at 'looking out'
height

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bitstreams wrote:
[...]

We have two electric Velux windows, one of which also has an external
shutter blind. Wonderful. Fantastic. Would definitely do it again.
Would definitely not fit a manual one.

The electric ones are a pleasure to use, no searching for a pole, just
press a button. They are a bit noisey as the motor operates though
which could be an issue if it bothers you.

The rain sensor forces the window closed when it's raining (obviously)
but also when it's foggy or just a bit drizzly. That has the massive
advantage that you can go out leaving the window open and not worry
about a flood if it rains. OTOH it does mean you can't have the
window open, even on trickle ventillation, if it decides it's too
wet. Often in the summer the sound of a Velux closing in the distance
results in one of us tearing into the garden shouting "get the washing
in"...

We have an external shutter blind on the one in our bedroom and it's
totally effective at blocking the light. It also keeps the noise down
during heavy rain (the rain hits the shutter not the glass). Another
advantage is that it's possible to open the window with the shutter
closed and get ventillation as well as screening, important for us on
a south facing roof.

Velux windows arrive very well packaged and they are ideal box-shifter
material, buy them from anywhere that's cheapest. Generally BMs are
OK dealing with the public now, go during the week and in the middle
of the day, not Saturday or right on closing time or early in the
morning when they're busy with the builders. I use Ridgeons in the
South East but also Jewson and TP - all are happy to deal with non-
trade and can be pursuaded to offer discounts.

Velux instructions are mostly pictorial, simple and straightforward -
even a builder can follow them! There really isn't anything
complicated about them.

Anything I've missed? Oh yes, as others have said, do you really need
obscured glass? What a shame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Bitstreams writes
[...]

Hi,

I had two arrive yesterday. I ordered them from Travis Perkins, they
retail at £299+vat but got them at £199+vat after some whining ;-)

Regarding the 'top hung' thing, some are available as top hung with
centre pivot for cleaning (ie GHL). They're hinged at the top for normal
opening but with the flick of a catch can be spun 180 degrees through
the centre to have the outside glass cleaned from inside.

Getting the right flashing kit is important, they're based on the height
profile of your tiles (or lack of with slate!). The low profile flashing
kit is EDZ I think. Take a look on velux.com for info.

Depending on the type of roof, you may need to supplement the
ventilation across the rafters. Ventilation is usually provided eave to
eave across and under the ridge. Where you install the window you will
have blocked that ventilation in those rafters.

I spoke to a number of builder mates about roof windows, and they were
all quite adamant on two counts....

- Buy Velux. Don't even think about cheaper alternatives
- Get someone who has fitted them before.

Hth
Bill
--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area.

You need to decide whether you want EDL or EDN flashing and middle or top
hung opening.

Go for top hung rather than middle hung then you can

- get out in an emergency
- look out of the window without being hit....if its at 'looking out'
height

Velux windows now have a 'gear shift' which changes the pivot point
between top and centre. Normally they pivot at the top, but if you pull
the trickle vent right open it changes to a centre pivot. This gives
easy access to the whole of the outside pane for cleaning (which I
believe is now a standard requirement).

By standing on a stepladder, a reasonably compact person can also get at
the roof above the window, which is impossible to reach through a
top-pivoted window.

The only problem I've had with a Velux in a very small shower room is
condensation on the wood frame, which gets relatively cool in winter. In
spite of the varnish, this has caused a small amount of watermarking in
the grain. Had I known, I would have added extra sealing coats of
varnish on those inside surfaces.

One more thing: even without the window part, Velux frames are bloody
heavy to install! To do it under complete control and avoid bashing the
nice pine, the larger sizes will probably need two people on two roof
ladders, as well as muscle to support it from the inside.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 2:18 pm, Bitstreams
2) The window is going in to a single storey bathroom. The roof is
slate and the property is old (1700-1800) but not listed or in a
conservation area. Do I need permission to fit it? (and I am putting
in obscured glass, before you point out the problems of being
overlooked).

Usually you don't need PP if it's goign at the rear of the property,
but you might want to check. ...or just fit it and wait for someone
to complain.

Velux Windows won't stay open joelinbristol UK diy 5 September 6th 20 02:30 AM
Need some facts about velux windows AA UK diy 4 August 26th 07 10:29 AM
Velux windows [email protected] UK diy 7 June 8th 07 12:33 PM
Preferred position for Velux windows? Mick6 UK diy 3 March 26th 07 09:42 AM
Velux windows - DIY installation Bob Mannix UK diy 12 July 19th 06 11:10 AM