Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default Need some facts about velux windows

I need some ammunition when arguing with my house builder and would be
grateful for comments.

When negotiating a deal on my new house (complete except for the
interior stuff), the sales agent agreed to a number incentives
including the addition of a velux window in the top (3rd floor) shower
room. These were listed on our reservation agreement as special
conditions with a note saying my deposit would be refunded if the
conditions could not be met. You can guess what is coming but of
course bakcing out now isn't practical.

After a couple of months the builder is saying no way citing (via
their sales person) various reasons along the lines of needing
retrospective planning permission, changing build plans and most
critically the need to erect scaffolding to install the window which
will cost thousands. But, they say, if I do it myself after I move in
it can be done entirely from the inside at little cost to me.

I am going to have to get the solicitors involved but I won't back
down - I just need some ammunition. Why would I be able to install it
from the inside but they wouldn't? Why would they need planning
permission but they wouldn't? How much would it really cost
(externally or internally fitted)? They are bull****ting but I just
need some knowledge to refute their claims.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote :
When negotiating a deal on my new house (complete except for the
interior stuff), the sales agent agreed to a number incentives
including the addition of a velux window in the top (3rd floor) shower
room. These were listed on our reservation agreement as special
conditions with a note saying my deposit would be refunded if the
conditions could not be met. You can guess what is coming but of
course bakcing out now isn't practical.

Most Velux windows are installed from the inside. Basically, clear
plaster board around the area, lift tiles from inside, cut and
reinforce the roof timbers, then lift the frame into position from the
inside and fix. You then make good the tiling and lift the glazed frame
into position again from the inside. Finally making good the inside
plaster work.

Not sure on the planning aspect, but if he needed planning permission,
so would you.

Personally, I would suspect the job got forgotten during the build and
it will cost much more to rectify the error at this stage - hence the
attempt to get away with it. Stick to your guns!

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:

I am going to have to get the solicitors involved but I won't back
down - I just need some ammunition.

Hardly. You have a written contract in your favour. Either you get the
deposit back or the work done as agreed. The rest is not your problem -
the sales agent and builder can sort it between them.

Why would I be able to install it
from the inside but they wouldn't?

No reason I can think of.

Why would they need planning
permission but they wouldn't?

Logic says it ought to be the same for both of you. The only problem it
may give the builder is that what he built will then not match the plans
against which permission was granted, which may require a change of plan
to get a completion cert. Still not your problem either way.

If you can do the work without PP as an alternation to a completed
building then he can do the work for you on the same basis I would have
thought.

How much would it really cost
(externally or internally fitted)?

Internally fitted - cost of window and flashing kit (say £500 depending
on size), plus a days labour for a couple of blokes. £1k max I would
say. I have fitted them and they are not difficult. If constrained from
working only from the inside the only tricky bit is getting the first
couple of tiles out without allowing them to slide down the roof and
land on something below. After that it is much the same so long as the
window is not so small you can't stand in the hole it needs.

They are bull****ting but I just
need some knowledge to refute their claims.

Just stick to your guns, write them a letter explaining what you want to
get done and by when so that they are not in breach of contract, and set
out the redress you will seek if they fail to honour their end of the
bargain.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 3:46 pm, AA wrote:
[...]

Their claims have some possible merit. Windows, including veluxes will
be specified in the original planning application, and changes can
cause problems with the energy efficiency requirements - the more
window area fitted, the more insulation required to give the necessary
efficiency.

To employ someone to work at a height above 8m (I think) requires
provision of scaffolding. A DIYer or self employed builder can choose
to manage without.

That said, you have contract which they will be in breach of, so I
would act as if to stick to your guns, then settle for a reduction of
less than the work would cost them, but much more than it would cost
you. I'd also get them to make good internally after your roofer has
fitted the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug, 15:46, AA wrote:
[...]

I have just fitted a couple of large M08 Velux for a customer on a 3
storey building. Slate roof - knocked a hole through from inside,
trimmed out the timbers, each fitted by one man in one good day.
(Debris from originally knocking hole through roof had to cleared from
gutter with a stick, but small compromise!) Cost for labour £200.00 +
VAT each. Tiles would have been far easier and quicker and cheaper.
Planning permission calls for Velux to be included on the plans at the
time they are submitted, BUT unless property is in an article 4 area
or listed you can fit the Velux after the build has finished. My
planning officer told me this was ridiculous and just to fit the Velux
at the time the roof was going on. This was 4 years ago - times may
have changed especially with insulation guidelines, but I would just
do it. Even if they make you apply for retrospective planning you
would still get it. Just phone your local council and ask them first.

Velux Windows won't stay open joelinbristol UK diy 5 September 6th 20 02:30 AM
Velux windows [email protected] UK diy 7 June 8th 07 12:33 PM
Preferred position for Velux windows? Mick6 UK diy 3 March 26th 07 09:42 AM
Velux windows - DIY installation Bob Mannix UK diy 12 July 19th 06 11:10 AM
Roller blinds for velux windows Nick Atty UK diy 0 June 21st 05 10:54 PM