Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Need some facts about velux windows

AA wrote:

I am going to have to get the solicitors involved but I won't back
down - I just need some ammunition.

Hardly. You have a written contract in your favour. Either you get the
deposit back or the work done as agreed. The rest is not your problem -
the sales agent and builder can sort it between them.

Why would I be able to install it
from the inside but they wouldn't?

No reason I can think of.

Why would they need planning
permission but they wouldn't?

Logic says it ought to be the same for both of you. The only problem it
may give the builder is that what he built will then not match the plans
against which permission was granted, which may require a change of plan
to get a completion cert. Still not your problem either way.

If you can do the work without PP as an alternation to a completed
building then he can do the work for you on the same basis I would have
thought.

How much would it really cost
(externally or internally fitted)?

Internally fitted - cost of window and flashing kit (say £500 depending
on size), plus a days labour for a couple of blokes. £1k max I would
say. I have fitted them and they are not difficult. If constrained from
working only from the inside the only tricky bit is getting the first
couple of tiles out without allowing them to slide down the roof and
land on something below. After that it is much the same so long as the
window is not so small you can't stand in the hole it needs.

They are bull****ting but I just
need some knowledge to refute their claims.

Just stick to your guns, write them a letter explaining what you want to
get done and by when so that they are not in breach of contract, and set
out the redress you will seek if they fail to honour their end of the
bargain.

--
Cheers,

John.