Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Family Tree

Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ac1951 wrote:
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

For software, you could try:

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Does everything that I have needed so far. Well supported. British!

It is possible that renaming the files you have to have an extension of
*.ged would allow you to open them in many packages. Obviously, make
sure they are backed up before even considering trying this out. No
guarantee.

Otherwise, how about opening them using Notepad or "Recover text from
any file" in Word and seeing if there is anything to help identify the
format?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 30, 4:42*pm, ac1951 wrote:
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. *I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks
Andy

You could try downloading the free Personal Ancestral File from
http://www.familysearch.org/ It may have an import facilty for those
files.

For future compatibility, use gedcom format.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ac1951 wrote:
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks
Andy

Well, the site I use for unknown file extensions, www.filext.com has it as a
US NOAA / US Army Corps of Engineers file
http://filext.com/file-extension/006

Watch out for friendly fire!!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ac1951 wrote:
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks
Andy

Maybe google for "zip freeware"? It looks like .006 is a compressed archive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr, 16:42, ac1951 wrote:
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. *I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

It's GSP Family Tree. My Dad uses it, and it runs fine on XP so if
you can get hold of a copy (probably still on sale somewhere) it
should work. You'd need to import the data by copying it over the top
of those files in the app (I think).

Not sure if the extensions were all .006 on his system though - I
thought there were some with other numbers.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"ac1951" wrote in message
Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this
data.
Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks
Andy

Try asking in news:soc.genealogy.britain or news:soc.genealogy.computing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe google for "zip freeware"? It looks like .006 is a compressed archive.

I doubt it at that age of file (I think you're actually referring to a
RAR file, whose format changed to allow this as a file extension
around 3 years ago)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 30, 5:28*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On 30 Apr, 16:42, ac1951 wrote:

Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a
try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came
with my PC at the time.
It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. *I still have
all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension.
i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

It's GSP Family Tree. *My Dad uses it, and it runs fine on XP so if
you can get hold of a copy (probably still on sale somewhere) it
should work. *You'd need to import the data by copying it over the top
of those files in the app (I think).

Not sure if the extensions were all .006 on his system though - I
thought there were some with other numbers.

Neil

Brilliant many thanks Neil....
Called some mates and one had a copy,, just loaded and you're right it
does run on XP and I've recovered the data.
Now need to find out ghow to export in gedcpm format ..

thanks again (just knew someone on this forum would have the
answer :-)
Andy