Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High Temp Epoxy Glue/Sealant info please

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's max
heat resistance is only 65C.

The application I'm using it for, is placing a s/steel sheathed K type
thermocouple into a coffee portafilter, similar to this one made in the
States.
http://tinyurl.com/2v6ghv
The epoxy (or something similar) doesn't have to be food-safe, as I'm using
a spare portafilter, solely for occasional temperature measurement, thanks.

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's max
heat resistance is only 65C...

Araldite 2015 is rated to 120C. Some of the heat assisted cure epoxies
probably go higher than that.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's max
heat resistance is only 65C.

The application I'm using it for, is placing a s/steel sheathed K type
thermocouple into a coffee portafilter, similar to this one made in the
States.
http://tinyurl.com/2v6ghv
The epoxy (or something similar) doesn't have to be food-safe, as I'm using
a spare portafilter, solely for occasional temperature measurement, thanks.

Bertie

Have look at high temperature silicones. I think the glass doors in some
oven are held in with this stuff.
Maybe RS carry something? RSWWW.com

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's max
heat resistance is only 65C.

The application I'm using it for, is placing a s/steel sheathed K type
thermocouple into a coffee portafilter, similar to this one made in the
States.
http://tinyurl.com/2v6ghv
The epoxy (or something similar) doesn't have to be food-safe, as I'm using
a spare portafilter, solely for occasional temperature measurement, thanks.

High temperature silicone, such as:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...gh+temperature

--
Grunff
Radioactive Keyrings!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's max
heat resistance is only 65C...

Araldite 2015 is rated to 120C. Some of the heat assisted cure epoxies
probably go higher than that.

Colin Bignell

Beware of these temp ratings. IME epoxy with highish temp rating
was utterly useless when subjected to boiling water. It may have
survived, but only as a soft squishy useless mess.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
nightjar wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for a high temp 90C epoxy
sealant.
It will also be subject to water pressure of 130 psi.

Araldite Precision comes in a handy size of 2 x 15ml tubes, but it's
max
heat resistance is only 65C...

Araldite 2015 is rated to 120C. Some of the heat assisted cure epoxies
probably go higher than that.

Colin Bignell

Beware of these temp ratings. IME epoxy with highish temp rating
was utterly useless when subjected to boiling water. It may have
survived, but only as a soft squishy useless mess.

We used a room temperature setting Araldite rated at 150C for assembling
medical devices and it was perfectly happy being autoclaved in steam at
135C. However, the Araldite range has been renamed since then and I don't
know which one is the current equivalent.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk"
wrote in message
Araldite 2015 is rated to 120C. Some of the heat assisted cure epoxies
probably go higher than that.

Colin Bignell

Beware of these temp ratings. IME epoxy with highish temp rating
was utterly useless when subjected to boiling water. It may have
survived, but only as a soft squishy useless mess.

We used a room temperature setting Araldite rated at 150C for assembling
medical devices and it was perfectly happy being autoclaved in steam at
135C. However, the Araldite range has been renamed since then and I don't
know which one is the current equivalent.

Colin Bignell

Meow, yep I didn't read the instructions on the Araldite 65 and it's a mess.
Thanks Colin, if I could track down the rebadged Araldite 150C

Grunff" High temperature silicone, such as:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...gh+temperature

Grunff

Thanks Bob and Grunff, I hadn't given silicone a thought, assuming the
rubber wouldn't stand up to 135 psi. That's a handy link Grunff, the Galva
Mate Grey looks like it may do the job.

Bertie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:44:09 GMT, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

"nightjar .me.uk"
wrote in message
[...]

In case it's of any help, I filled a cracked Rayburn flue ( just above
the air valve on top on the stove ) with JB Weld - it's still holding
up after many years. I'd imagine the temperature of the flue at that
point exceeds your requirements.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote
Thanks Bob and Grunff, I hadn't given silicone a thought, assuming the
rubber wouldn't stand up to 135 psi. That's a handy link Grunff, the Galva
Mate Grey looks like it may do the job.

In case it's of any help, I filled a cracked Rayburn flue ( just above
the air valve on top on the stove ) with JB Weld - it's still holding
up after many years. I'd imagine the temperature of the flue at that
point exceeds your requirements.

Regards,

I tracked down Araldite 2014 - 1 high temperature, but the cost is £11.44 +
vat + £6 p&p and a minimum order of £30.
Thanks Stephen, the JB Weld spec seems too good to be true,
http://tinyurl.com/2x2u8y it may even have the edge over the silicone or
the Galva Mate Grey. I'm being spoilt for choice.

Bertie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:14:42 GMT, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote
Thanks Bob and Grunff, I hadn't given silicone a thought, assuming the
rubber wouldn't stand up to 135 psi. That's a handy link Grunff, the Galva
Mate Grey looks like it may do the job.

In case it's of any help, I filled a cracked Rayburn flue ( just above
the air valve on top on the stove ) with JB Weld - it's still holding
up after many years. I'd imagine the temperature of the flue at that
point exceeds your requirements.

I tracked down Araldite 2014 - 1 high temperature, but the cost is £11.44 +
vat + £6 p&p and a minimum order of £30.
Thanks Stephen, the JB Weld spec seems too good to be true,
http://tinyurl.com/2x2u8y it may even have the edge over the silicone or
the Galva Mate Grey. I'm being spoilt for choice.

I've never read the JB specs - it was originally recommended to me by
a car mechanic when I needed a cheap solution for a frostbitten Land
Rover engine with a cracked engine block.
Drained the core, dried the crack, shoved in a wadge of JB Weld and
never had a problem with it for the rest of the engine's life.

I should think it's cheap enough to be able to grab a packet and try
it out on a test piece. Stick a dollop on an old bolt or something,
let it cure for a couple of days then boil it up for a couple of hours
to see what happens!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks again Stephen. I ordered the 'marine' version of JB Weld. Looking at
the following specs 500F (260C) and waterproof, it should do the job.
http://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

Bertie
--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Got apost on Coffeegeek http://tinyurl.com/6zg5x3
and it's possible that JBW won't bond to stainless. I've emailed JBW and
I'll update.

Bertie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Got a reply from JB Weld, confirming that it will bond to stainless. To play
safe, I've roughened up all stainless surfaces with some fine Wet & Dry and
it's looking good. I'll give it another 12 hours to cure and test tomorrow.

Bertie