Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Epoxy Glue For Wooden Biscuits ? Or,...?

Hello,

Have a real old wooden bed frame that is in pieces, that I would like to put
back together.

It was originally held together by very large Biscuits, and a few Dowells,
it appears.

Re the biscuits:

a. Should I use an epoxy glue, or perhaps that Gorilla Glue which I think
they call an acrylic adhesive ?
Which would be better ? Why ? (anything even better these days ?)

b. Some of the biuscuits have old, very hard, dried glue on them.

Would either the epoxy or Gorilla glue work (well) if I don't go to the
trouble of sanding them clean ? Or, must I really get rid of the old stuff
before either would grab ?
(looks like a lot of work to try and sand them clean)

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have a real old wooden bed frame that is in pieces, that I would like to put
back together.

It was originally held together by very large Biscuits, and a few Dowells,
it appears.

Re the biscuits:

a. Should I use an epoxy glue, or perhaps that Gorilla Glue which I think
they call an acrylic adhesive ?
Which would be better ? Why ? (anything even better these days ?)

b. Some of the biuscuits have old, very hard, dried glue on them.

Would either the epoxy or Gorilla glue work (well) if I don't go to the
trouble of sanding them clean ? Or, must I really get rid of the old stuff
before either would grab ?
(looks like a lot of work to try and sand them clean)

Thanks,
Bob

Epoxy, Gorilla glue, or Elmers old polyvinyl acetate wood glue would
work. I believe Gorilla glue is polyurethane and may not last as long as
the other two as I have seen polyurethanes degrade with age.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have a real old wooden bed frame that is in pieces, that I would like to put
back together.

It was originally held together by very large Biscuits, and a few Dowells,
it appears.

Re the biscuits:

a. Should I use an epoxy glue, or perhaps that Gorilla Glue which I think
they call an acrylic adhesive ?
Which would be better ? Why ? (anything even better these days ?)

Definitely a two part SLOW cure epoxy. Gorilla glue has reported some
problems, like foaming. Epoxies have higher strength, low shrinkage,
and are perfect space fillers for imperfect fits. Still nothing on the
market that beats it.

b. Some of the biuscuits have old, very hard, dried glue on them.

Clean it all off. A heat gun should help get all of it. Or just make
new ones. And clean out the stuff in the holes, too.

Would either the epoxy or Gorilla glue work (well) if I don't go to the
trouble of sanding them clean ? Or, must I really get rid of the old stuff
before either would grab ?
(looks like a lot of work to try and sand them clean)

If you'd rather do a half-a**ed job, just take the bedframe out to the
curb tonight and forget about it. Taking short cuts will guarantee an
early failure. And never even think about restoring antiques again.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 5, 8:52 pm, Joe wrote:

Definitely a two part SLOW cure epoxy. Gorilla glue has reported some
problems, like foaming. Epoxies have higher strength, low shrinkage,
and are perfect space fillers for imperfect fits. Still nothing on the
market that beats it.

I used gorilla glue on an outdoor project. Within 6 months every joint
failed.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
ps.com:

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Polyurethane glues are not meant for gap-filling applications.
Biscuits(new ones) are meant to swell from moisture in the glue,to be very
tight mechanically in addition to the glue bond.
Glue Epoxies do not get absorbed into the wood,and have a weaker bond than
a glue like Titebond.Clamping can also squeeze out too much epoxy,weakening
the joint.They do fill gaps nicely,and would work better with the old used
biscuits,as the old biscuits have a glue coating that would prevent
absorbtion of a polyurethane or Titebond-type glue.

it would be better to use NEW biscuits(or make a spline) and Titebond.

Wood Magazine recently did a test on biscuit/dowel joints,tested their
relative strengths and ease of use. They also have done glue tests.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik