Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dulux Paint Pod

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I couldn't help thinking:

You have to be doing a *lot* of painting to justify the cost of the device.

You must not do a lot of painting with it because of the cost of the
special paint pods.

Hmmm - bit of a conflict.

However, I can see that some people might find it wonderful. Imagination
(rather then knowledge or experience) suggests that a one-armed person
might be able to paint what otherwise would need a decorator - and other
special circumstances.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

I couldn't help thinking:

You have to be doing a *lot* of painting to justify the cost of the device.

You must not do a lot of painting with it because of the cost of the
special paint pods.

Hmmm - bit of a conflict.

However, I can see that some people might find it wonderful. Imagination
(rather then knowledge or experience) suggests that a one-armed person
might be able to paint what otherwise would need a decorator - and other
special circumstances.

I think the main appeal lies in speed of application and cleaning.

When applying paint you don't need to stop to replenish your paint
tray, you just carry on until you finish the job or you replace the
Pod, which is simple and quick with only a minute's interruption to
your workflow.

When you have finished, you put the roller into the PaintPod, add five
litres of water and it cleans itself. Job done.

So I think the biggest advantage is in speed. There are also
advantages in the lack of mess and the fact that a part-used Pod of
paint is stored in the machine ready for use.

I think the PaintPod is a brilliant idea. However, I will be sticking
to my own method which involves using a small (radiator) roller which
is much quicker and easier to clean than a big one. I can also use a
wider range of paints than with the PaintPod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr, 12:44, Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I was looking at this over the weekend. I am sure that I am not the
only one here who finds that the painting of the room with a roller
and washing the roller afterwards is a small proportion of the overall
time compared to all the preparations (sand, fill, sand again, remove
electrical sockets etc). Of course if you don't do any of that the
PaintPod is probably ideal.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I was looking at this over the weekend. I am sure that I am not the
only one here who finds that the painting of the room with a roller
and washing the roller afterwards is a small proportion of the overall
time compared to all the preparations (sand, fill, sand again, remove
electrical sockets etc). Of course if you don't do any of that the
PaintPod is probably ideal.

I think it will appeal strongly to people who like to own gadgets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Rod wrote:
[...]

Completely understand.

But... I find that the cycle of charging the roller, applying - charging
- applying - makes me stop doing silly things like tipping my head back
at a silly angle for long-ish periods of time. Also, the longer I stare
at newly applied white paint, the less I can see what still needs to be
done.

At the price increment over ordinary paint and roller, an ordinary
roller and tray (and possibly even the paint itself) can be treated as
totally disposable and stgill work out much cheaper.

I too tend to use small rollers - and for much the same reason. I would
use a standard roller on a large room.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 12:44*pm, Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

the simple way of doing this is buy 1 tub of paint then fill it up
with your normal dulux paint anf save £10 a time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 09:44, Rod wrote:

Hmmm - that corner looks a bit streaky. Did the magenta get blocked?

Now that sounds like an interesting device. Multiple nozzles and
seperate cmyk paints. Download the 'wallpaper' that you want or design
your own and the roller knows where it is and the speed and direction
that it is going and deposits the right colour in the right place.
Wonder if I can patent it?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew wrote:
On 29 Apr, 09:44, Rod wrote:

Hmmm - that corner looks a bit streaky. Did the magenta get blocked?

Now that sounds like an interesting device. Multiple nozzles and
seperate cmyk paints. Download the 'wallpaper' that you want or design
your own and the roller knows where it is and the speed and direction
that it is going and deposits the right colour in the right place.
Wonder if I can patent it?

No. I want to... :-)

Love the idea. A number of years ago I did actually go through lots of
thought about whether a robotically controlled printhead could be used
to "paint" straight onto walls - for murals, ads, etc.

Decided that it was in the "obvious" category and so someone else would
have patented it already (if possible).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

i was thinking you can cut the cost down maybe by only buying 1 of the
special paint pots say in white (cieling etc) then as its immulsion it
should wash out and you can maybe use the same tub with a cheaper
paint just an idea
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

i was thinking you can cut the cost down maybe by only buying 1 of the
special paint pots say in white (cieling etc) then as its immulsion it
should wash out and you can maybe use the same tub with a cheaper
paint just an idea

Keep up at the back this was mentioned (in this thread) on 28/04/08 by
crc270969. Also it is Emulsion not IMmulsion, sorry but this really gets my
goat like Emmersion instead of Immersion (the element is immersed in water -
technically). You also spelt ceiling incorrectly but that was probably a
typo.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

Hi,
I would like to buy this item, have been checking on the web for the
paint but can only buy it a £29.95, can
you please let me know where you get the paint for £20.00 per 5 litre.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:06*pm, Rod wrote:
wrote:
On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?
Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.
If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.
And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.
I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

Hi,
I would like to buy this item, have been checking on the web for the
paint but can only buy it a £29.95, can
you please let me know where you get the paint for £20.00 per 5 litre.
Thanks

Helen,

Go to:

http://www.diy.com/

and search for "paintpod".

But I actually think that the problem is that this price is for
Brilliant White only - other colours are indeed £29.98. The earlier
poster did actually say this:

"a whopping £30 for five litres (colours) or £20 for white"

--
Rod

onset.
www.thyromind.info www.thyroiduk.org www.altsupportthyroid.org- Hide quoted text -

I'm renovating an entire house and speed would be good. I want to
start using 'green' paint (stop rolling your eyes!) and thought I'd
trying filling up an empty Dulux paint pod container and testing it on
a small area first. Of course if the finish is awful, I won't know if
that's due to using the wrong paint in the pod or the paint itself!
If it doesn't work, I can sell the Pod on ebay. Someone'll buy it.
Hubby is a die-hard Dulux & brush man. Rollers are just new-fangled
gadgets to him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"moaner" wrote in message

Someone'll buy it.
Hubby is a die-hard Dulux & brush man. Rollers are just new-fangled
gadgets to him.

You can get the council to decorate free if he is that old!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 27, 5:18*pm, Ed_Zep wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

I bought one after being basgered by my wife. It's a total waste of
money. i have just realised i have paid £70 for a dulux cutting in
brush, that's good. the pod actually took 3 cleaning processes and the
roller has still got paint within it. i feel it may be best to clean
roller under water and just run the cleaning process to clean tube,
nozzles etc. The rollining of paint is also a technique that probably
needs to be mastered as if you get too much paint the roller clogs and
you have to work it out and you can tend to get thick coates of paint
in places and as it is thick and quick drying makes it unmanagable. I
will be reverting back to my £1.99 rollers and dust sheets and resign
the pod to a very high shelf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought one and really like it. Yes it's expensive and so is the
paint but it saves a fortune of time. I'm not too keen on painting and
will take the easiest route possible and the paint pod is ideal for
that. The paint went on really smoothly and there was no dripping if
you apply the correct amount of paint - just don't keep the button
pressed all the time. I agree with the last post (Steve) that it's
best to run the roller under the water to clean. It definitely takes
more than one paint pod cleaning process. The paint pod might not be
for everybody but I hate painting and think this really is a labour
saving device.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 12:56*pm, Rod wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:
[...]

Why does everybody keep saying the paint is expensive?

2.5 litres of "normal" Dulux coloured emulsion at B&Q is between £14
and £17.
5 litres of paint pod paint is £29.98.

How is this more expensive? And I've seen the white emulsion for the
paint pod for £16.99 on the net.

Please, people, look at what you are getting for your money.

And I will be trying the paint pod system, as I have an entire house
to decorate!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:56 pm, Rod wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:
[...]

I had thought the paint expensive - but my last visit to B&Q revealed
exactly what you have just said. If you were going to use full-price
paint anyway, it would just be the cost of the device that made the big
difference.

I guess lack of choice (no 2.5 litre choice for the paint pod, no "own
brand" option) could make it work out more expensive in some circumstances.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The part I don't understand is how you are supposed to get into all
the spaces that the roller won't reach (corners, behind radiators etc)
without resorting to a brush or small roller?

I can see how it would save time but there would still be mess if you
have to use brushes too.

Undecided but tempted to buy one...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 20:41, Rod wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:56 pm, Rod wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:
[...]

I have used 2 of these becuase i thought the first was faulty after
watching the advert but it turns out that it is no way as quick as
soon. It does not apply enough paint at a time and doesn't clean in
one go. My advice is to stick to the tried and trusted roller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Apr, 17:18, Ed_Zep wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

Bought it at the weekend and was really impressed. The positives are
it is quick and easy to use, with no splashing. The negatives are you
are restricted to using certain dulux paint which is expensive. But we
weighed up that we had the whole house to paint and we were going to
use a lot of certain colours so it has been great for us. You can also
get 10% off on a certain day, if you have a pensioners 10% discount
card for B & Q.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So you can't use this device for gloss or masonry paints then????

Was going to get one to do the exterior pebbledashed wall....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 20:41, Rod wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:56 pm, Rod wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Ed_Zep wrote:
[...]

As has been said if you look at the price/litre (B&Q displays this
under the actual cost) you will see its actually cheaper that the same
dulux paint in normal pots.
I am renovating a whole house - gonna buy it then when sell it on Ebay
when I'm done.
Just looked at a couple of auctions both have like 20 ppl pushing it
up past £70 + posting and packaging LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 10:41, wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:18*pm, Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

I bought one after being basgered by my wife. It's a total waste of
money. i have just realised i have paid £70 for a dulux cutting in
brush, that's good. the pod actually took 3 cleaning processes and the
roller has still got paint within it. i feel it may be best to clean
roller under water and just run the cleaning process to clean tube,
nozzles etc. The rollining of paint is also a technique that probably
needs to be mastered as if you get too much paint the roller clogs and
you have to work it out and you can tend to get thick coates of paint
in places and as it is thick and quick drying *makes it unmanagable. I
will *be reverting back to my £1.99 rollers and dust sheets and resign
the pod to a very high shelf.

I agree with this post... also the paints are too thin. it takes about
4 to 5 coats, and even then it looks patchy.
I ended up finishing off with a paint pad. The cleaning system doesn't
work as it is portrayed to. You need to run it through at least 2-3
times. Then you find the system is full off water which then thins the
paint out even more the next time you use it.
have already contacted our supplier to try and get our money back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep it's the device that's expensive but the paint is too when you can
only purchase a minimum of 5L.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 7:01*pm, wrote:
On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:

On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Paint Pod?

Was thinking of buying it but would like to find out if it's any good
first.

If you Google on "Dulux PaintPod" you will find several positive
reviews. *The only caveat is that you are forced to use the expensive
Dulux PaintPod special paint, which costs a whopping £30 for five
litres (colours) or £20 for white.

And of course the PaintPod itself will cost you £70.

I did but with "reviews" you can never be quite sure if they're
promotional or not.

i was thinking you can cut the cost down maybe by only buying 1 of the
special paint pots say in white (cieling etc) then as its immulsion it
should wash out and you can maybe use the same tub with a cheaper
paint just an idea- Hide quoted text -

yeah i have just bought one thought of doing that but on the box it
says ur not allowed to use any other paint apart from the paintpod
one,if its dulux i cant see wat the problem will be they probably just
say that to spend more but i will be tryin it x
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jul, 18:46, wrote:
On May 9, 7:01*pm, wrote:

On 5 May, 20:51, Ed_Zep wrote:

On Apr 28, 12:44 pm, Bruce wrote:

Ed_Zep wrote:

[...]

say that to spend more but i will be tryin it x- Hide quoted text -

i agree but if you drain it 2 or 3 timea all water is drained. How-
ever i still agree it's a waste of money and the extending pole is far
too short and i would not class it as an extention. i also stand by
that i beleive any emulsion would work in the paint pod and it would
be a case of using an empty paint pod container, after all paint is
paint and the devise is not inteligent enough to distinguish between
dulux or any other brand. i have just painted the dining room,
bedroom, bathroom using 2 standard rollers and the time is much faster
as cleaning a roller is 10 times faster. again the £70 dulux cutting
in brush is fab

Posted to uk.d-i-y

****

Dulux paint vs. Dulux trade paint Sam UK diy 14 December 30th 07 10:54 PM
Dulux Paint Yaz UK diy 4 May 16th 07 04:17 PM
Dulux & Dulux Trade paint Grumps UK diy 5 March 18th 06 08:09 AM
Dulux Trade versus Dulux retail paint asalcedo UK diy 23 December 12th 05 06:10 PM
Need dulux bourbon paint - help please malcolmrice UK diy 3 November 20th 04 09:41 AM