Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil boiler recommendations

I've just had my 14year old Myson boiler serviced and discovered there
is a slight water leak from the jacket. then engineer says I will need
a new boiler.

The boiler is currently in the kitchen with a direct flue up through
the ceiling/loft and it is a 3bed bungalow with kitchen and shower
room - no bath. If it has to be replaced I'd like to have the
replacement sited in the garage which is unheated.

Which boiler makes are recommended? any I should avoid?

Would it be possible to have a wall flue in the garage?

Can I still keep the hot water tank with its immersion heater as
backup h/w supply should the boiler ever fail?

any other issues I should be aware of?

I don't intend doing the work myself but would like a bit more
knowledge of what to ask when getting quotes.

thanks

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've just had my 14year old Myson boiler serviced and discovered there
is a slight water leak from the jacket. then engineer says I will need
a new boiler.

The boiler is currently in the kitchen with a direct flue up through
the ceiling/loft and it is a 3bed bungalow with kitchen and shower
room - no bath. If it has to be replaced I'd like to have the
replacement sited in the garage which is unheated.

Which boiler makes are recommended? any I should avoid?

Having just locked the price of oil, consider a bloddy big imnmersion
heater instead!

Oil boilers are simple beasts, Ive got a 13Kw Camray, which does what it
says on the tin.

Would it be possible to have a wall flue in the garage?

Ah..yes definitely. The nice thing abut a garage is you can use s
'boilerhouse' boiler which is simply a normal boiler 'in the nude' and
hence a tad cheaper.. Do build a bit of insulation round it tho, and
have a frost stat IN the boilerhouse to fire it up if tts toes get too
chilly.

Can I still keep the hot water tank with its immersion heater as
backup h/w supply should the boiler ever fail?

yup. Though I would tend towards a pressurised tank.

any other issues I should be aware of?

I don't intend doing the work myself but would like a bit more
knowledge of what to ask when getting quotes.

Boiler should be around £6-700 IIRC. ist a couple of days work to swap
one out, a bit more if you need to move it. No more tha £500 to install.
Also consider teh oil pipe runs and where the hot pipework needs to run
- that needs lagging to avoid spilling heat into the garage, although
that might be a neat idea if you make it a utility room with a drying
rack for washing etc. We have a room like that: the boiler keeps the
room warm and the clothes dry in there bootiful, and there are wood
racks over the boiler itself to air them.

..

thanks

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 23:07, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
[...]

.

thanks

JW

I'd give a vote for the Camray too if they are still available. After
digging through some old notebooks I find I fitted mine in 1989 - had
to have the blast tube replaced this year and some gentle tweaks so
maintenance costs have been some £200 over 18 years.

The cost of oil however has made me read the thread here on electrical
CH boilers with interest - my present set up has a log burner running
in parallel with the oil burner with some electronic controls so it
may well be that this summer logging will have to be a more committed
activity! But the figures quoted make a thermal store with electrical
heating as well look an interesting option.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

A lot depends on whether enough people soak up off peak electricity
enough to make it suddenly more expensive. Or simply flatten the grid
and power station network.

We need another 30 nuclear power stations yesterday..

Rob