Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DP sw needed on power feed. ?

I am running a feed to external building ( see thread on sub-main
earthing )

Just a quick sanity check …
At the head end .. I have an exiting 100A switch fuse for house
supply… taking feed from that to an insulated Din rail box, in which I
will feed a 30mA RCD (80A) then a 30A HRC fuse … the output of that
will be connected to the armour cable.

This seems safe & logical to me …. Is there any requirement to have a
DP switch on this box?, or is the fact that the feed is via my own
switch fuse, which is within 100mm allows full 'local' disconnection
from supply.

I can use the RCD to provide DP disconnection of feed should I wish to
turn outbuildings feed off for any future service reason.

Just significantly cheaper to use an insulated 4 way IP65 Din box,
rather than fit a 6 way CU with it’s DP sw. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYWBE4.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

Just a quick sanity check …
At the head end .. I have an exiting 100A switch fuse for house
supply… taking feed from that to an insulated Din rail box, in which I
will feed a 30mA RCD (80A) then a 30A HRC fuse … the output of that
will be connected to the armour cable.

This seems safe & logical to me …. Is there any requirement to have a
DP switch on this box?

No. It's perfectly acceptable to use the RCD as a DP isolator, provided
it has facilities for locking-off.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

Just a quick sanity check …
At the head end .. I have an exiting 100A switch fuse for house
supply… taking feed from that to an insulated Din rail box, in which I
will feed a 30mA RCD (80A) then a 30A HRC fuse … the output of that
will be connected to the armour cable.

This seems safe & logical to me …. Is there any requirement to have a
DP switch on this box?

The RCD is safe to use as an isolator switch - they have the required
contact separation, and are double pole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No. It's perfectly acceptable to use the RCD as a DP
isolator, provided it has facilities for locking-off.

I've noted from past posts the point about "locking-off" but
am not clear if for new installation it must be built in.
Is it [still] OK to proceed on the basis that it will be
locked off using one of the plastic accessories which goes
over the switch with a hole for a padlock?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Osprey wrote:

Just a quick sanity check …
At the head end .. I have an exiting 100A switch fuse for house
supply… taking feed from that to an insulated Din rail box, in which I
will feed a 30mA RCD (80A) then a 30A HRC fuse … the output of that
will be connected to the armour cable.

This seems safe & logical to me …. Is there any requirement to have a
DP switch on this box?

The RCD is safe to use as an isolator switch - they have the required
contact separation, and are double pole.

Cheers guys ... means I can use the nest (& cheap 4way boxes)

SUN COBALT QUBE 3 - power supply feed pinouts needed [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 22nd 08 07:44 PM
WTB Align 250 Power Feed [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 29th 07 02:14 PM
well-setting power feed info / parts needed F. George McDuffee Metalworking 8 August 2nd 05 08:32 PM
Power feed on BP mill Roy Metalworking 6 February 17th 05 12:42 PM
B`port power feed gear box part needed???? Craig Suslosky Metalworking 0 February 24th 04 04:39 AM