Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Want to buy scaffold tower - what's good at present ?

Hello -

After renting a "Boss" aluminium access tower, I've decided to take the
plunge and buy one for some fairly extensive DIY projects.
I want a platform height of at least 3.5 metres, and up to 5 metres might be
useful occasionally. The platform must be no wider than 90 centimetres.

Screwfix used to sell a product which could meet these specs for a price of
about £1500, but they now seem to have divided their range into the "Speedy
Tower" range, which costs under £1000, and the Hilyte range, which costs
over £2000.

Is anyone familiar with Speedy Tower - the brief notes on the Screwfix site
suggest that they don't come with height-adjustable castors, so might only
be intended for use on good flat concrete.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where else to buy from?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon" wrote in message
Hello -

After renting a "Boss" aluminium access tower, I've decided to take the
plunge and buy one for some fairly extensive DIY projects.
I want a platform height of at least 3.5 metres, and up to 5 metres might

be
useful occasionally. The platform must be no wider than 90 centimetres.

Can't comment on the tower side but if you do shell out on a tower make it
work for you to pay its way ie after you have done what you intend to buy it
for? aquire some external painting jobs on the front or back elevations of a
house...relatives,friends ect.

Put a price forward with a charge of the scaffold in the pricing,do this
until the scaffold has been paid for with the aquired paint jobs so
basically you come out of it with a free scaffold at the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As you've discovered, SGB Boss dominate in the trade sector. You can
buy direct from them, through one of the many builder merchants that
stock them - or both new and secondhand (though possibly of
questionable provenance) through ebay. Boss will of course have the
best resale value, and have the narrow access and levelling adjusters
you want. You will need secure storage.

Some other manufacturers state they have interchangeable parts with
Boss.

This site seems to have a very good range http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/index.htm

I've built up my selection of Boss tower bits, by buying secondhand 3
times through ebay. 2 sets were good used, 1 set absolutely pristine,
and every sign that they were all diy'ers selling on rather than
stolen gear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This site seems to have a very good range
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/index.htm

I'd agree with the above, I had my steel tower off of them at a bargain
price, and they couldnt hav ebeen more helpful on the phone.
A roofing company boss I worked for told me he buys all of their trade
use ladders from them as they are so reliable and cheap.
Alan.

req advice: buying a scaffold tower tg UK diy 10 December 9th 06 06:48 PM
Scaffold tower platform Chris UK diy 9 April 8th 06 06:31 AM
FA: Aluminium Tower Platforms - Scaffold Platforms D UK diy 1 September 15th 05 11:21 PM
Ladder or scaffold arjay Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 05:34 AM
Scaffold tubes Simon UK diy 7 July 8th 03 10:57 PM