Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless alarms.

Hi,

Has anybody any experience with fitting a wireless alarm?

Had a look at the AE Security systems and ESP security systems units.

Getting power to the bell box isnt a problem but I would like to keep
the sensors wireless if poss to avoid room disruption etc.

Any other possibilities I should look at?

Thanks,
Matthew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Any other possibilities I should look at?

Thanks,
Matthew

Yes, wired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Hi,

Has anybody any experience with fitting a wireless alarm?

Had a look at the AE Security systems and ESP security systems units.

Getting power to the bell box isnt a problem but I would like to keep
the sensors wireless if poss to avoid room disruption etc.

Any other possibilities I should look at?

I think that opposition to wireless systems harks back to early versions
which, like much new technology, were beset with problems.
Whenever the question comes up there are plenty around who now champion
wireless installs.
Personally, if the wires are already there (as in my case) I prefer wired -
less batteries etc to bother with for a start.
If wires aren't there, then wireless systems have probably come-of-age.

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:36:53 writes

I think that opposition to wireless systems harks back to early
versions which, like much new technology, were beset with problems.
Whenever the question comes up there are plenty around who now champion
wireless installs. Personally, if the wires are already there (as in my
case) I prefer wired - less batteries etc to bother with for a start.
If wires aren't there, then wireless systems have probably come-of-age.

How frequently do the various batteries have to be changed?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
depends on the equipment.
If it utilises std batteries (usually aa or 9v pp3) 12 mths on average but
can last up to 2 yrs.
If 3v lithium 3yrs on average unless its a wireless bell then 12
mths.(manufacturers spec)
HTH

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , cj
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:21:13 writes

depends on the equipment.
If it utilises std batteries (usually aa or 9v pp3) 12 mths on average
but can last up to 2 yrs. If 3v lithium 3yrs on average unless its a
wireless bell then 12
mths.(manufacturers spec)
HTH

It does. I was trying to gauge how much of a nuisance and cost battery
changes would be.

This is something I have been considering for a while but never felt
confident that wireless alarms were anything but toys.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi Les
These days far from it ,all the reputable makes are fully BS and ISO
compliant and with PIR,Seismic,reed,smoke & water level devices most
situations are catered for.You can even hard wire into the door contacts to
add a second door or the seismic detectors can have a reed built in so you
can fit it to an opening light.
Add to this the add on systems which are a stand alone receiver which you
add to a normal panel & the rolling code 4 button key fobs and you can see
the applications.
We have over 100 systems in operation to date and this is growing rapidly.

As an old-school engineer I still believe you can't beat a well installed
wired system but in today's 'get it done now' world radio is really taking
off.

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-24 22:12:20 +0100, "cj" said:

Hi Les
These days far from it ,all the reputable makes are fully BS and ISO
compliant and with PIR,Seismic,reed,smoke & water level devices most
situations are catered for.You can even hard wire into the door contacts to
add a second door or the seismic detectors can have a reed built in so you
can fit it to an opening light.
Add to this the add on systems which are a stand alone receiver which you
add to a normal panel & the rolling code 4 button key fobs and you can see
the applications.
We have over 100 systems in operation to date and this is growing rapidly.

As an old-school engineer I still believe you can't beat a well installed
wired system but in today's 'get it done now' world radio is really taking
off.

CJ

As a matter of interest, which brands to find to be of the best quality?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi Les
Never fitted an Infinity so can't comment. The DIY kits like Yale are just
that and as such use less stringent equipment which can give problems if
near other RF sources ,having said that they are quite reliable.
We use Risco (Guardtec) equipment or Scantronics (cooper Menvier) as both
have a proven track record and come with full service backup to the trade.
The cheeper of the 2 is the Gardtec equipment but it matches the Menvier in
every way.
Be warned though this equipment is not cheap.
Compared with the Yale kit for around £160.00 the Gardtec will come in
around £300.00 and the Menvier £380.00. (NB these are just rough estimates
comparing part for part)
This is Gardtec.
http://www.riscogroup.co.uk/Products.aspx?id=18
Here is Cooper Menvier Scantronics.
http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/defa...px?page=radio1

If this helps and you need further details please repost and I will email
you direct.

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , cj
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:54:54 writes

[..]

If this helps and you need further details please repost and I will
email you direct.

While I want to DIY I would prefer professional units.

I will check out your liks and get back.

Thank you for the details.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , cj
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:54:54 writes

This is Gardtec.
http://www.riscogroup.co.uk/Products.aspx?id=18
Here is Cooper Menvier Scantronics.
http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/defa...px?page=radio1

Thanks. I have applied for the Guardtec price list (user/password)

What particular models would you recommend for a three floor house?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:36:07 +0100, Les Desser wrote:

John recommended ESP Infinite - and looks like a comprehensive range.
Any recommendations for that or an other brand?

After research on this group & elsewhere, I fitted an Infinite earlier in
the year (January I think), and haven't had any false alarms. The manuals
seem to assume that it's being professionally fitted (but I managed anyway
:-), but it's a good solid piece of kit. I fitted a Yale ~10 years ago at
our last place, and this is a definite step up.
A word of warning - I purchased the PSTN dialler (~£40??) add-on module.
Although this works, full use seems to be restricted without a PC program
at the other end. I got this insteaed of an external bell box (on the logic
that theese are ignored anyway), but as I've had no false alerts, I'll now
purchase and fit an external bell. (Again, a warning, this does require
power - it's not solar powered like some makes). The internal siren is
prettty damn load, and if I was a specuialtive burglar I wouldn't want to
hang around with this going off.
HTH,
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael Atkinson
Sun, 4 May 2008 21:13:52 writes

I fitted an Infinite earlier in the year (January I think), and haven't
had any false alarms.

[...]

Thanks for the info.

CJ recommended Gardtec and am looking at their range at the moment. They
are rather secretive about their prices - they only sell direct and not
through distributors.

So far I have had their catalogue and special offers but no prices. I
have to decide what I want and they will let me have prices.. It is
making it difficult to make a sensible choice.

The catalogue also assumes they are talking to professionals (a fair
assumption) so it is not easy to differentiate between products.

The Infinite does not give a lot of options to do the same job so it is
much simpler to decide.

I will continue with investigating the Gardtec for the moment.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd just like to apologise to all for my *appalling* spelling in the

Wired or Wireless Alarms TheScullster UK diy 6 March 13th 08 11:00 AM
Wireless alarms. Clive Mitchell UK diy 16 April 27th 07 09:05 PM
Wireless security alarms AJB UK diy 5 September 6th 05 09:09 PM
Outbuilding wireless alarms... Mike Deblis UK diy 0 July 23rd 05 02:16 AM
wireless burglar alarms-recommendations? tarquinlinbin UK diy 4 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM