Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wired or Wireless Alarms

Hi all

Just an observation - noticed that the sheds don't appear to carry
accessories for wired alarm systems any more - both Homebase and B&Q carry a
just wireless package by Yale IIRC.
I am just upgrading my wired install with help from this group and wondered
whether the purists would still fit a new wired system. Is there still a
place for the wired solution in domestic applications? I know that I have
always been anti-wireless both with alarms and networking - maybe this
aversion is based on out-dated anecdotal evidence from early attempts at
wireless solutions.
I did yield to the pressure and accept wireless room stats last year for the
CH. These appear to perform well enough to be fair.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just an observation - noticed that the sheds don't appear to carry
accessories for wired alarm systems any more - both Homebase and B&Q
carry a just wireless package by Yale IIRC.
I am just upgrading my wired install with help from this group and
wondered whether the purists would still fit a new wired system. Is
there still a place for the wired solution in domestic applications? I
know that I have always been anti-wireless both with alarms and
networking - maybe this aversion is based on out-dated anecdotal
evidence from early attempts at wireless solutions.
I did yield to the pressure and accept wireless room stats last year
for the CH. These appear to perform well enough to be fair.

I fitted one of these Infinite Wireless alarm systems about 18 months ago
and it's been brilliant
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ain/index.html

No false alarms and it's not susceptable to interference from any of the
other wireless stuff we have here, ie, CH thermostat, DECT phones, wireless
router - or anything at all.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just an observation - noticed that the sheds don't appear to carry
accessories for wired alarm systems any more - both Homebase and B&Q carry a
just wireless package by Yale IIRC.
I am just upgrading my wired install with help from this group and wondered
whether the purists would still fit a new wired system. Is there still a
place for the wired solution in domestic applications? I know that I have
always been anti-wireless both with alarms and networking - maybe this
aversion is based on out-dated anecdotal evidence from early attempts at
wireless solutions.
I did yield to the pressure and accept wireless room stats last year for the
CH. These appear to perform well enough to be fair.

Phil

Perhaps I'm paranoid... but wouldn't a burglar with half a brain carry
an RF jammer?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Wireless alarms are really coming into their own now as prices fall and
reliability increases.
Without opening on this group a long standing thread about jamming mostly
this is unheard of.
Whilst not impossible the outcome is the same for all newer alarms They go
off. So numpty jammer sets the alarm off even before breaking in.

The main problem was size of devices ,especially door contacts ,and battery
life.
Both have now been overcome to a great extent with lithium batteries lasting
up to 3yrs.

The DIY kits (around £125) are of the older type using std batteries which
can go flat quickly if in a high usage device like the front door,and not
having fitted any can't comment further.

As for the newer systems my employer fits around 6 systems a month .

Wired systems are by no means obsolete and are the best option for
reliability maintenance longevity and cost, but radio is ideal for quick, no
mess installation with full BS and ISO accreditation.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"cj" writes:
[...]

Don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be pretty impossible
to get additional or replacement compatible wireless components for
systems a year or two later, and you were in any case limited to the
sensors that the manufacturer had decided to provide.
That's not a problem for wired systems where you can easily mix and
match components, and add some new type of sensor a few years later
which wasn't invented when the panel was installed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , cj
writes
Hi
Wireless alarms are really coming into their own now as prices fall and
reliability increases.
Without opening on this group a long standing thread about jamming mostly
this is unheard of.
Whilst not impossible the outcome is the same for all newer alarms They go
off. So numpty jammer sets the alarm off even before breaking in.

So he jams it every night/day for a week until the owners/neighbours get
fed up with it and either switch it off or ignore it. Sounds fair to
me!
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all for observations - interesting the bit about incompatibility
of wireless devices.

Phil