Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating the outside of a wall to cure 'cold spot'

An otherwise warm room suffers from condensation in one corner
because, I think, a 1m length is only half a brick thick where the
hallway on the other side ends and the open porch outside the front
door begins.

I want to insulate this wall from the porch side - is there any
material designed to be used externally, or should I use insulation
slabs of some kind with a covering of ply or similar? The area is only
about 1m wide x 2m high.
Will be grateful for any ideas.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 16:19, wrote:
An otherwise warm room suffers from condensation in one corner
because, I think, a 1m length is only half a brick thick where the
hallway on the other side ends and the open porch outside the front
door begins.

I want to insulate this wall from the porch side - is there any
material designed to be used externally, or should I use insulation
slabs of some kind with a covering of ply or similar? The area is only
about 1m wide x 2m high.
Will be grateful for any ideas.

Peter

I would put up a celotex / cement board sandwich (screw through both)
and render, or even
stick on brick tiles, whatever to blend in. Since it is basically
sheltered, no issues with rain
penetration. A concern about solid walls / rising damp being trapped
or coming through other side ?
Well unlikely I would have thought, however for such a small area you
could always do a DIY damp
course - there is a cream available now that does not need a pressure
pump. Can't remember the name.
Simon.

Tec 2445 Start up 'bright spot' ?? beam set , hot or cold ? Graham Electronics Repair 2 September 27th 07 11:15 PM
Soft spot on wall Alvin Home Repair 4 October 9th 06 06:15 PM
Cavity wall insulating an internal wall informer UK diy 1 October 6th 06 10:48 AM
cold spot - wall hung convector vs. oil filled rad ? [news] UK diy 1 December 21st 04 04:29 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM