DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulating the outside of a wall to cure 'cold spot' (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/245493-insulating-outside-wall-cure-cold-spot.html)

[email protected] April 18th 08 04:19 PM

Insulating the outside of a wall to cure 'cold spot'

An otherwise warm room suffers from condensation in one corner
because, I think, a 1m length is only half a brick thick where the
hallway on the other side ends and the open porch outside the front
door begins.

I want to insulate this wall from the porch side - is there any
material designed to be used externally, or should I use insulation
slabs of some kind with a covering of ply or similar? The area is only
about 1m wide x 2m high.
Will be grateful for any ideas.

Peter

sm_jamieson April 18th 08 08:59 PM

On 18 Apr, 16:19, wrote:
An otherwise warm room suffers from condensation in one corner
because, I think, a 1m length is only half a brick thick where the
hallway on the other side ends and the open porch outside the front
door begins.

I want to insulate this wall from the porch side - is there any
material designed to be used externally, or should I use insulation
slabs of some kind with a covering of ply or similar? The area is only
about 1m wide x 2m high.
Will be grateful for any ideas.

Peter

I would put up a celotex / cement board sandwich (screw through both)
and render, or even
stick on brick tiles, whatever to blend in. Since it is basically
sheltered, no issues with rain
penetration. A concern about solid walls / rising damp being trapped
or coming through other side ?
Well unlikely I would have thought, however for such a small area you
could always do a DIY damp
course - there is a cream available now that does not need a pressure
pump. Can't remember the name.
Simon.