Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connections to exterior soil pipe - advice needed

I have just installed and plumbed in a new sink in a downstairs
cloakroom that formerly had just a WC. I need to connect the 32mm
diameter waste pipe (which passes through the exterior wall) to the
100mmm soil pipe. I will also be connecting a kitchen sink waste to
this soil pipe - the previous occupant of the house ran it direct into
a surface water gully drain.

The soil pipe is plastic and has stub connections ready for these
waste pipes to go into. Can anyone point me towards a "how to" guide
so I can make these connections using the correct components? Also,
can these components be found in Wickes or B&Q or do I have to go to a
trade plumbing supplier?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
I have just installed and plumbed in a new sink in a downstairs
cloakroom that formerly had just a WC. I need to connect the 32mm
diameter waste pipe (which passes through the exterior wall) to the
100mmm soil pipe. I will also be connecting a kitchen sink waste to
this soil pipe - the previous occupant of the house ran it direct into
a surface water gully drain.

The soil pipe is plastic and has stub connections ready for these
waste pipes to go into. Can anyone point me towards a "how to" guide
so I can make these connections using the correct components? Also,
can these components be found in Wickes or B&Q or do I have to go to a
trade plumbing supplier?

You drill out the wall of the soil pipe at the bottom of the 'stub', and
fit one of these rubber adaptors into the hole with your 32mm pipe:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41571/Plumbing/Soil-Vent/FloPlast-Strap-Boss-Adaptor-32mm-Pack-of-5

I'm sure the DIY places will do them; certainly Wickes will.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:03:00 +0100 someone who may be Bruce
wrote this:-

I will also be connecting a kitchen sink waste to
this soil pipe - the previous occupant of the house ran it direct into
a surface water gully drain.

Are you sure it is a surface water drain?

It could be connected to a combined sewer. It is perfectly normal to
connect a kitchen sink in this way, preferably via a back inlet
gully. If not one of these then the pipe should discharge below the
level of the grille, but above the level of the standing water.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:03:00 +0100 Bruce wrote :
The soil pipe is plastic and has stub connections ready for these
waste pipes to go into. Can anyone point me towards a "how to" guide
so I can make these connections using the correct components? Also,
can these components be found in Wickes or B&Q or do I have to go to a
trade plumbing supplier?

If yours is like the ones I'm familiar with, you drill out the centre of
the boss (50mm) and fix a boss adaptor suited to the diameter of your
waste pipe. You can get ones that solvent weld into the boss socket, or
ones like a rubber bung with a hole in the middle to take the waste pipe
(lubricate with silicon)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I will also be connecting a kitchen sink waste to
this soil pipe - the previous occupant of the house ran it direct
into a surface water gully drain.

Are you sure it is a surface water drain?

It could be connected to a combined sewer. It is perfectly normal to
connect a kitchen sink in this way, preferably via a back inlet
gully. If not one of these then the pipe should discharge below the
level of the grille, but above the level of the standing water.

I agree. Those were my thoughts as well. Though I recently came across a
situation (not uncommon, where a washing machine was discharging to a
surface water drain and polluting a water course).