Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is solvent free silicone?

The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free silicon.
I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

They might mean a natural cure one - i.e. that does not produce acetic
acid on curing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

I don't know if they're silicone specifically, but many adhesives and
sealants seem to be available in both normal and solvent-free variants.
I used one to stick a load of polystyrene to my shed roof as insulation
- made sure I got the solvent-free version as I suspect the normal kind
would have melted the polystyrene.

As for how you tell, the solvent-free ones have a special giveaway code
written on the tube - it says "solvent free".

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

I don't know if they're silicone specifically, but many adhesives and
sealants seem to be available in both normal and solvent-free variants.
I used one to stick a load of polystyrene to my shed roof as insulation
made sure I got the solvent-free version as I suspect the normal kind
would have melted the polystyrene.

As for how you tell, the solvent-free ones have a special giveaway code
written on the tube - it says "solvent free".

This, for example

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...?method=getPro
duct&R=0494118

--
geoff

Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Solvent david west UK diy 4 January 3rd 07 08:11 PM
Cleaning solvent for silicone spray lubricant Norm Dresner Metalworking 2 February 24th 06 01:04 AM
Ski wax solvent Big Ron UK diy 8 January 2nd 06 11:47 PM