DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is solvent free silicone? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/244579-what-solvent-free-silicone.html)

dennis@home April 14th 08 11:11 PM

What is solvent free silicone?

The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free silicon.
I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

John Rumm April 14th 08 11:29 PM

dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

They might mean a natural cure one - i.e. that does not produce acetic
acid on curing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Pete Verdon April 15th 08 12:07 AM

dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

I don't know if they're silicone specifically, but many adhesives and
sealants seem to be available in both normal and solvent-free variants.
I used one to stick a load of polystyrene to my shed roof as insulation
- made sure I got the solvent-free version as I suspect the normal kind
would have melted the polystyrene.

As for how you tell, the solvent-free ones have a special giveaway code
written on the tube - it says "solvent free".

Pete

geoff April 15th 08 12:36 AM

What is solvent free silicone?

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
dennis@home wrote:
The instructions for a panel I need to glue say use a solvent free
silicon. I don't know how you tell if its solvent free.

I don't know if they're silicone specifically, but many adhesives and
sealants seem to be available in both normal and solvent-free variants.
I used one to stick a load of polystyrene to my shed roof as insulation
made sure I got the solvent-free version as I suspect the normal kind
would have melted the polystyrene.

As for how you tell, the solvent-free ones have a special giveaway code
written on the tube - it says "solvent free".

This, for example

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...?method=getPro
duct&R=0494118

--