Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ceiling tiles

house has polystyrene ceiling tiles - apparently to hide "poor
ceilings" aparently some cracks but nothing major - or so I'm told by
previous owner

What options do I have other than
1) leave them
2) remove and Artex
3) replace with some other lightweight tile

I'm assuming the ceilings are not too bad they are lath and plaster
but seem sound

Any other ideas ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr, 09:24, wrote:
house has polystyrene ceiling tiles - apparently to hide "poor
ceilings" aparently some cracks but nothing major - or so I'm told by
previous owner

What options do I have other than
1) leave them
2) remove and Artex
3) replace with some other lightweight tile

I'm assuming the ceilings are not too bad they are lath and plaster
but seem sound

Any other ideas ?

I have just done this in my living room - took off the tiles and had
the ceiling skimmed.
I was lucky too - the tiles just fell off with a bit of encouragment
from a scraper.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 11 Apr, 09:24, wrote:
house has polystyrene ceiling tiles - apparently to hide "poor
ceilings" aparently some cracks but nothing major - or so I'm told by
previous owner

What options do I have other than
1) leave them
2) remove and Artex
3) replace with some other lightweight tile

I'm assuming the ceilings are not too bad they are lath and plaster
but seem sound

Any other ideas ?

I have just done this in my living room - took off the tiles and had
the ceiling skimmed.
I was lucky too - the tiles just fell off with a bit of encouragment
from a scraper.

Same here, although not in my house but that of a relative. The tiles
appeared to be stuck with wallpaper paste so came of very easily and quite
quickly. I do not know wht these tiles were put on as the ceilings
underneath were not showing any signs of cracking etc. I suppose it was the
'latest fad' in the 70's though.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 7:19 am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:
I have just done this in my living room - took off the tiles and had
the ceiling skimmed.
I was lucky too - the tiles just fell off with a bit of encouragment
from a scraper.

A handy tool to use for the initial removal is a garden hoe. You
don't need steps, and you are at arm's length from the falling
debris.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

I found a heat gun worked quite well on the adhesive mine were held up
with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just done this in my living room - took off the tiles and had
the ceiling skimmed.
I was lucky too - the tiles just fell off with a bit of encouragment
from a scraper.

A handy tool to use for the initial removal is a garden hoe. You
don't need steps, and you are at arm's length from the falling
debris.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

I found a heat gun worked quite well on the adhesive mine were held up
with.

I think that in the early days of polystyrene tiles the adhesive was very
hard - later the recommendation was to use wallpaper adhesive. I guess this
is the one that is easy to remove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Jim...

You can paste these tiles directly to your old Polystyrene Tiles and
get a fast fast face lift of your ceiling, they are easy fast and
fun.. Take a look at http://stores.ebay.com/talissadecor-ceilingtiles
or www.talissadecor.com

Best Regards
Hardik Sheth, India.

Looking for 16 inch ceiling tiles jgold723 Home Repair 3 February 28th 17 07:36 AM
Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling Cshenk Home Repair 3 November 7th 07 02:07 AM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
ceiling tiles jozep7075 Home Ownership 0 January 23rd 05 01:34 AM
Ceiling tiles. Jon Gilbert UK diy 1 December 4th 03 04:58 PM