Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact driver
with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that dennis@home formulated :
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact driver
with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Yes, pretty good for the money.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International,
a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG
brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid
and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International, a
Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG brands
but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid and
precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

The impact driver feels very solid.
Yes, I went and spent some cash.

The drill is much lighter and has less metal.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality and
usability.

But rather more in cash terms and I am not going into business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International,
a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG
brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid
and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

The impact driver feels very solid.
Yes, I went and spent some cash.

The drill is much lighter and has less metal.

Exactly. That has a number of implications.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

But rather more in cash terms and I am not going into business.

Who said anything about going into business? There is a lot more to a
purchase than the initial outlay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

[...]

There's also your budget to consider, something you always seem to forget -
being a rich bloke I assume. Makita or Bosch are a great choice for full
time users but overkill for occcassional DIY use. Ryobi is a good mid range
price machine ideal for DIY use.

Bought a Ryobi SDS t'other day as a 'clean' SDS to take into peoples houses
for lintels etc, Wickes SDS does the dirty work like light breaking. The
Ryobi is a nice solid machine that performs well and was £40 on a Screwfix
offer.

Couldn't possibly justify £100 on a second machine, can justify £40.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 21:45:30 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

Who said anything about going into business? There is a lot more to a
purchase than the initial outlay.

There's also your budget to consider, something you always seem to forget -
being a rich bloke I assume.

Actually not. One needs to take into account all of the factors when
considering a budget. That needs to include time taken when doing
work as well as time taken if items need to be serviced or replaced.
In other words it is the lifetime cost that matters, not just the
purchase price.

Makita or Bosch are a great choice for full
time users but overkill for occcassional DIY use. Ryobi is a good mid range
price machine ideal for DIY use.

That makes no sense at all. It is assuming that because the
application is "DIY" that there is not the need for quality tools in
terms of usability, accuracy and speed of working. Time is not free
and "DIY" does not equate to an excuse for crappy tools, materials and
outcome.

Bought a Ryobi SDS t'other day as a 'clean' SDS to take into peoples houses
for lintels etc, Wickes SDS does the dirty work like light breaking. The
Ryobi is a nice solid machine that performs well and was £40 on a Screwfix
offer.

Couldn't possibly justify £100 on a second machine, can justify £40.

This is illogical as well. You are currently charging £45 as the
starting hour rate including travel. If you need to buy two of the
£40 drills in the same period of time that a £100 DeWalt or Bosch would
last, you will have spent two lots of £40 plus waste of an hour
effecting the replacement. That scenario is highly probable and as
(almost) always, buying the cheap thing is a false economy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

There's also your budget to consider, something you always seem to
forget - being a rich bloke I assume. Makita or Bosch are a great choice
for full time users but overkill for occcassional DIY use. Ryobi is a
good mid range price machine ideal for DIY use.

They are rated light to medium trade.

They are really taking off as a brand and in sales too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:55:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Ryobi drills

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International,
a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG
brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

Must be a bit of crossover in products now as we ordered a Milwaukee
core drill but it arrived as an AEG (Identical unit).

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid
and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

Makita yes and Blue Bosch definately.

I still have a 7.2v Makita drill, bought oh, must be 20 years ago now
(long slim battery that slid up inside the handle like a pistol
magazine) and it is still going strong and the original batteries
still give 1/2 an hour drilling (NiCd's). Very useful for tight
spaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:55:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Ryobi drills

[...]

Modern version is excellent.
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/?option=sh...FQU11AodC3tJHw

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jeff wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:55:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Ryobi drills
[...]

Damn you, Mr Medway!!! :-)

I had assumed that stocks would have been exhausted so gave it up as
"missed that". But no, you have to post that link and make me spend more
money.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod, in article , says...

Damn you, Mr Medway!!! :-)

I had assumed that stocks would have been exhausted so gave it up as
"missed that". But no, you have to post that link and make me spend more
money.

There are some on e-bay: http://tinyurl.com/53po7w. I got one
from there, or a similar place, some time ago and it lives up
to its reputation, especially when driving long screws into
old wood when the wind was blowing hard :-)

--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jeff wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:55:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Ryobi drills
[...]

Look into my eyes, not around my eyes - you know you want one.........

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 20:04:30 +0100, Jeff said:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:55:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Ryobi drills

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International,
a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG
brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

Must be a bit of crossover in products now as we ordered a Milwaukee
core drill but it arrived as an AEG (Identical unit).

So a playing around with product volumes and positioning.

When Milwaukee was manufactured in the U.S. it was one of a small
number of quality and rugged tools for contractors.

Since Atlas Copco sold them to TTI in 2005 amid a lot of hype about
improving market share for Milwaukee, very little has been said about
that.

In TTI's interim annual report for 2007 they admit that their power
equipment business has declined by nearly 6% (which is a great deal in
the business) yet represents nearly 70% of TTI's revenue. They go on
to talk about the Ryobi brand and One+ system. That really is a yawn
because other manufacturers have been using this concept for years.

In other words, there is a range consolidation exercise going on.

More interestingly, they spend a great deal of time talking about their
acquisition of Hoover.

Finally, they announced what amounts to a corporate restructuring and
appointment of a new CEO in January. hardly surprising when their
stock price has halved in the last year.

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid
and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

Makita yes and Blue Bosch definately.

I still have a 7.2v Makita drill, bought oh, must be 20 years ago now
(long slim battery that slid up inside the handle like a pistol
magazine) and it is still going strong and the original batteries
still give 1/2 an hour drilling (NiCd's). Very useful for tight
spaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 20:04:30 +0100, Jeff said:

They go on to talk about the Ryobi brand and One+ system. That really is
a yawn because other manufacturers have been using this concept for years.

Matt, but none of them market it like Ryobi do. Others have it as a
sideline you have to ask about. The best marketed one battery system is the
Ryobi ONE+

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 20:04:30 +0100, Jeff said:

They go on to talk about the Ryobi brand and One+ system. That really
is a yawn because other manufacturers have been using this concept for
years.

Matt, but none of them market it like Ryobi do. Others have it as a
sideline you have to ask about. The best marketed one battery system
is the Ryobi ONE+

Best marketed. Possibly true. They spend enough on advertising.
However, when one looks at the range of products meant to use this
system, half aren't worth having as a function.

Ergo, it really isn't that big a deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:47fd02fb@qaanaaq...

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality and
usability.

Why this obsession that only Makita a quality product, when others are
better, like Hilti, Hitachi, Festool or Durofix.
http://www.conceptdistribution.co.uk...s_Magazine.pdf
http://www.conceptdistribution.co.uk/index_main.html

The Durofix Impact Driver and combined Collated Driver is superb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-10 14:19:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:47fd02fb@qaanaaq...

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

Why this obsession that only Makita a quality product, when others are
better, like Hilti, Hitachi, Festool or Durofix.

What obsession? Makita has and has had for many years a good range of
drill products. Some of their sanders are OK as well, although Metabo
makes a better random orbit sander. Festool makes a better drill
than Makita in terms of the C12 product but does not have as
comprehensive a drill range as Makita.

Hitachi makes a better circular saw than Makita (has a cast base), but
Festool has a better one.

There is no one brand that is universally better than another within
the same quality level. One has to pick carefully according to
product type.

The other side of the coin as far as cordless single battery systems
like One+ is concerned is that it is also a lock in. Customers are
much more likely to buy other tools in the range because they already
have the batteries. This may mean that they will end up with
something very poor in some categories.

http://www.conceptdistribution.co.uk...s_Magazine.pdf
http://www.conceptdistribution.co.uk/index_main.html

The Durofix Impact Driver and combined Collated Driver is superb.

Do you have one, or is that simply what it says on the distributor's web site.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-10 14:19:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

[...]

I saw one on site a few months ago and asked the guy about it as I had never
seen the brand before. Initially I thought it was a DIY cheapo collating gun
(there is no cheapo collating gun), but the look and feel is quality. It
wasn't cheap, but that Impact Driver with the collating attachment is very
cheap when you price up two separate quality units. The Impact Driver has
far more blows than others of the same type. The batteries are Sanyo. I
don't know where it is made.

I don't know what the price of the Impact Driver and collating attachment
is. But it is probably worth it in the end if you require the two tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-10 14:19:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

The guy who owned it, said the two speed is unique with a spin speed of
1240rpm not 500rpm as most are. It also has a 10mm chuck and is suitable
for drill bits not just hex shaft screwdriver bits or hex bits. So it is a
normal drill too. The batteries charge in 15 mins. So a drill/Impact Driver
and collating gun all in one. I still don't know the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they say. The
ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they say. The
ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

I'd agree with that. I've given a 14.4 ryobi drill plus angle drill with two
batteries and a good fast charger a fair old hammering over the past few
years, although I did just replace one set of cells. I also have a mains
standard impact drill which has been fine, also a small petrol strimmer. Not
De Walt, but I'd rate them for the reasonably serious DIYer who can't claim
tax relief.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an
impact driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they
say. The ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

I'd agree with that. I've given a 14.4 ryobi drill plus angle drill
with two batteries and a good fast charger a fair old hammering over
the past few years, although I did just replace one set of cells. I
also have a mains standard impact drill which has been fine, also a
small petrol strimmer. Not De Walt, but I'd rate them for the
reasonably serious DIYer who can't claim tax relief.

Nail, hit, head there matey. I can justify spending a little extra for a
tool I use every day because Golden Brown is paying for some of it, DIY
people can't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 23:49:35 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

newshound wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an
impact driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they
say. The ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

I'd agree with that. I've given a 14.4 ryobi drill plus angle drill
with two batteries and a good fast charger a fair old hammering over
the past few years, although I did just replace one set of cells. I
also have a mains standard impact drill which has been fine, also a
small petrol strimmer. Not De Walt, but I'd rate them for the
reasonably serious DIYer who can't claim tax relief.

Nail, hit, head there matey.

More like hit thumb with hammer.

I can justify spending a little extra for a
tool I use every day because Golden Brown is paying for some of it, DIY
people can't.

That isn't correct. There are many more factors involved than a
simple one of every day use or not and tax relief or not. The
difference in actual and opportunity cost between mid market products
such as Ryobi and good quality such as Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Metabo is
eaten up by additional visits to the store to exchange/replace broken
cheap tools and in the extra capital purchase costs of the cheaper
tools over time.

This is why the lifetime cost and profile of use should be considered
and not just the price on the ticket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-09 23:49:35 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

newshound wrote:
[...]

As should the cost of chucking it away when a better tool is made for the
job.
I can see that a 40 year old BOSCH saw is going to be as easy to use as a
new one, maybe.
Just because a tool can last 40 years doesn't mean it should, times change,
safety systems change, materials change buying one built to last may mean
throwing a tool away that could last another 20 years if you didn't want
some better features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:47fda878@qaanaaq...

** drivel identified **

The difference in actual and opportunity
cost between mid market products
such as Ryobi and good quality such
as Makita, Bosch, DeWalt,

This implies Ryobi is poor quality which is total drivel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
SNIP

This is why the lifetime cost and profile of use should be considered
and not just the price on the ticket.

I've had this discussion with many so called sales directors in the past.
The sort that move from one industry to the next on the basis that no
experience or knowledge is required, just positive thought.

Quality, service & price are all factors in a buying decision. The 'think
positive' sales director types always claim that price is the least
important factor, wheras the guys on the street know the first question from
the punter is likely to be 'how much'.

High price can be justified by high quality & better value of course.

Funny how that argument changed when I asked when my Mondeo would be
replaced by a Mercedes........ suddenly price became the most important
factor.

Good enough is good enough to many.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an
impact driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they
say. The ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

I'd agree with that. I've given a 14.4 ryobi drill plus angle drill
with two batteries and a good fast charger a fair old hammering over
the past few years, although I did just replace one set of cells. I
also have a mains standard impact drill which has been fine, also a
small petrol strimmer. Not De Walt, but I'd rate them for the
reasonably serious DIYer who can't claim tax relief.

Nail, hit, head there matey.

I see many tradesmen using Ryobi tools. The likes of office fitters who
need to use say an Impact Driver all day, they will use a super expensive
tool. Light trade, like plumbing and electrical work, where a drill will be
used occasional through the day, Ryobi are the business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

It has a three hour charger, the only down side. But you can buy a fast
charger for not that much at £20. Even at £120 that is still a great deal.
Check if the batteries are suitable. It is 18v the same voltage as the ONE+
range so the batteries should be OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

It has a three hour charger, the only down side. But you can buy a fast
charger for not that much at £20. Even at £120 that is still a great deal.
Check if the batteries are suitable. It is 18v the same voltage as the
ONE+ range so the batteries should be OK.

The batteries say one+ on them.
The instruction book says one hour charge but the first charge did take
about 3 hrs.
I doubt if I need a fast charger, another battery would probably be better
value.

Anyway the charger is a BC-1815s which appears to be the standard one hour
charger (that takes one and a half hours anyway).