Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picture framing

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:16:17 +0100, NoSpam
wrote:

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Black emulsion.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Black emulsion.

That's an interesting idea, I'd expected the MDF to be too porous for
emulsion but will experiment - have you actually tried it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather
DIY; where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings
out of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Black emulsion.

That's an interesting idea, I'd expected the MDF to be too porous for
emulsion but will experiment - have you actually tried it?

Emulsion onto MDF? Yes - many times. Very successful even without using
special MDF primers. Just takes several coats (which I usually apply
with a roller). I have almost always applied a topcoat of some
water-based lacquer/varnish.

Black emulsion onto routed MDF? No. I'd experiment. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Black emulsion.

That's an interesting idea, I'd expected the MDF to be too porous for
emulsion but will experiment - have you actually tried it?

Not much on MDF per se, but on various other surfaces, mainly for
theatrical sets. Primer on MDF might help to reduce uneven absorption.

Actually you might think that theatres would go for MDF in a big way -
however stage floors are often covered in good old-fashioned hardboard
(usually partially or wholly covered with carpet/mats), 'flats' (sort
of sections of wall surface) are normally of plywood (it's an acoustic
thing) , and there's still a lot of _real_ wood used for doors, window
frames et. al.

You might have to go to a real paint store to get black emulsion - I
can't say I've really noticed it in the sheds (although I haven't
searched for it in such establishments - we have an account with a
proper locally-based (no pun intended!) paint merchant).

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
wrote:

I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather
DIY; where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Black emulsion.

That's an interesting idea, I'd expected the MDF to be too porous for
emulsion but will experiment - have you actually tried it?

Emulsion onto MDF? Yes - many times. Very successful even without using
special MDF primers. Just takes several coats (which I usually apply with
a roller). I have almost always applied a topcoat of some water-based
lacquer/varnish.

I've emulsioned MDF many times with good results. Never black though.

Black emulsion onto routed MDF? No. I'd experiment. :-)

Is your theory that absorption will vary on the routed/un routed surfaces?
I think you may have a point. The cut edges of MDF do absorb more paint
than the smooth faces thats for sure. Black might well show up more?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

[...]

Er! chalk board paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Dave

Someone suggested black emulsion this will gather dust in no time so I would
think its best to use an emulsion as a primer and a semi gloss(Satin
Black)as the finishing touch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Dave

Someone suggested black emulsion this will gather dust in no time so I would
think its best to use an emulsion as a primer and a semi gloss(Satin
Black)as the finishing touch.

No such thing as black emulsion paint. At best it comes out dark grey.
You really need an oil based paint for true black.
Painting the mdf moulding with a slurry of filler, and rubbing down when
dry should make the suction uniform
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather

DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Dave

Someone suggested black emulsion this will gather dust in no time so I

would
think its best to use an emulsion as a primer and a semi gloss(Satin
Black)as the finishing touch.

No such thing as black emulsion paint. At best it comes out dark grey.
You really need an oil based paint for true black.
Painting the mdf moulding with a slurry of filler, and rubbing down when
dry should make the suction uniform

Shouldn't you be informing MrErskine that not me? I have suggested elsewhere
Chalkboard black paint which dries matt. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Exactly so - may even cause slight swelling of the MDF - this has not
been obvious when just doing cut edges, but a larger section might
absorb more water and so be more prone to swelling.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Apr, 21:16, NoSpam wrote:
I've got several pictures and maps that need framing and I'd rather DIY;
where's a good place to buy the mouldings from?
I want the frames to be black so one idea is to route the moldings out
of 18mm MDF and then spray them - but what paint to use?

Dave

You can buy black mouldings from here :-

http://www.diyframing.com/chopservice_index.cfm