Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picture Framing for bathroom

SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Water/Condensation has a habit of finding its way into any given area.

Best way is to sandwich it between a piece of clear perspex and a plastic
backing and put a sliver of acrylic sealent around the edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

It comes down to whether you consider it to have real worth or you just
like it. If it is worth something scan it, print the scan and put that
in the bathroom (with the original carefully stored elsewhere). (There
are of course copyright issues which I am ignoring.)

We actually have a reasonable quality inkjet print in our bathroom. It
is simply stuck in front of the glass on a cupboard door. (It would make
more sense if it were behind the glass but the frosted pattern precludes
that.) Apart from some very minor damage from splashes it is as good as
the day it was printed (a few years ago).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bad form - but forgot to say that getting the image printed onto ceramic
tiles would stop it from deteriorating:

http://www.ceramictileartists.co.uk/pages/digital_tiles_INTRO.html

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 21:09, "John" wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Would I appear a complete philistine if I were to suggest laminating
it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lino expert" wrote in message
On 25 Mar, 21:09, "John" wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Would I appear a complete philistine if I were to suggest laminating
it?

Hadn't thought of that! It could then be framed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 22:49, "John" wrote:
"Lino expert" wrote in message

Would I appear a complete philistine if I were to suggest laminating
it?

Hadn't thought of that! It could then be framed.

Abso-blinkin'-lutely!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

I have a framed small etching in our small bathroom, we didn't take any
special precautions. It's behind a mount in a hand-made wooden frame with
ordinary picture glass. The back is sealed with brown paper tape - much like
all the other non-oil or acrylic pictures in our house.

Our bathroom isn't especially steamy though, the rh controlled fan takes
care of that.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 21:09, "John" wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Would I appear a complete philistine if I were to suggest laminating
it?

Hadn't thought of that! It could then be framed.

Yes, but not protected from the laminate!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 21:09, "John" wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

Would I appear a complete philistine if I were to suggest laminating
it?

Hadn't thought of that! It could then be framed.

Yes, but not protected from the laminate!

Cling film before laminating?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-25, John wrote:
SWMBO has a print (16"x11") which she wants framing and putting in the
(small) bathroom. What is best in order to prevent damage due to
condensation:

Print and glass in contact - or use a mask to create space?

Any suggestions to prevent this Jack Vettriano print getting ruined by a
steamy environment?

We've had a large Georgia O'Keefe print in our bathroom for years. It's in
perfectly ordinary (glass fronted) frame and hasn't suffered any damage at
all.

We also have a small pen and ink drawing of a leopard in there, too, and
again
that's suffered no harm in an ordinary frame.

Perhaps forget the framing, just make it fairly tight, and concentrate on
the bathroom ventilation? A large, well ventilated bathroom will house
prints no problem. A small, hermetically sealed, steam room will see them
off in no time!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)