Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodworm

I have an old cottage and often bring wood in for the fire. I had some
left over in the bottom of the wood basket and kept noticing dust on
the carpet. Transpires, in the 3 months been sitting there, wood bores
have flown from hole. Now mostly there seem to have died at the window
or the spiders have had them, but nearby is my expensive guitar
collection!!

They're were in ash, what should I do??

MG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MG" wrote in message
I have an old cottage and often bring wood in for the fire. I had some
left over in the bottom of the wood basket and kept noticing dust on
the carpet. Transpires, in the 3 months been sitting there, wood bores
have flown from hole. Now mostly there seem to have died at the window
or the spiders have had them, but nearby is my expensive guitar
collection!!

They're were in ash, what should I do??

Burn everything wooden.......and install plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Apr, 11:13, (MG) wrote:
I have an old cottage and often bring wood in for the fire. I had some
left over in the bottom of the wood basket and kept noticing dust on
the carpet. Transpires, in the 3 months been sitting there, wood bores
have flown from hole. Now mostly there seem to have died at the window
or the spiders have had them, but nearby is my expensive guitar
collection!!

They're were in ash, what should I do??

MG

Dear MG
First check that it IS woodworm
In Ash it is more likely to be Powderpost - Lyctus spp

~to test - feel the frass or powder
if it is fine and talcum like it is powderpost and your wooden guitars
etc are quite safe
If it is gritty it may well be woodworm (A punctatum) and if so unless
there is some unvarnished parts of your instruments - they are still
quite safe but it would be worth it storing a Rentokil "deterrant"
strip (3.5mm of permethrin ) in the instrument for six weeks or so.

Best wishes
Chris

Woodworm down there ! Mike P UK diy 11 October 24th 07 09:11 PM
Woodworm Magpie UK diy 7 November 15th 06 01:20 PM
Help on Woodworm belto Home Repair 0 July 25th 06 11:31 AM
Woodworm hes4tres UK diy 2 February 2nd 04 10:46 PM
woodworm Mark Watson UK diy 8 January 21st 04 10:31 PM